Autoroute 10, coms ports and GPS's ! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Actually lashed out and bought Autoroute 10 so I could use it in conjunction with the Stelplatz download listings and a Nuvi

Install was fine as expected, download of listing fine and recognised by Autoroute ( cheers to the supplier who I cannot remember ! :Blush: :thumb: )

But ......

Hook on the GPS and go to configure..
It offers me com 3 ( so a standard serial port ) but nowt else.. does not 'see' anything plugged in to any USB ports ( or indeed any USB ports !! )

I am sure I have seen this mentioned before but after 45 minutes of searching have had no luck ..

Anyone out there know whats what ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The old AR automatically recognised USB Receivers easily enough. Check there is not an exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager. If there is, remove the item from device manager, right click and delete (I think), reboot, then when everything is back up, insert the receiver again and see if it is recognised. Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The socket is def ok as I use the GPS with the Garmin Mapsource.. It is def something weird in Autoroute ... Have mailed MS but do not really expect any help much before September going on previous times !

S J, before I download that can you explain what it does ?
Does it 'kid' the machine into thinking the USB is com 3 ?

I am a bit reluctant to go down that road given all the other widgets I nail in to the USB hole that require the socket to remain as a USB one

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The socket is def ok as I use the GPS with the Garmin Mapsource.. It is def something weird in Autoroute ... Have mailed MS but do not really expect any help much before September going on previous times !

S J, before I download that can you explain what it does ?
Does it 'kid' the machine into thinking the USB is com 3 ?

I am a bit reluctant to go down that road given all the other widgets I nail in to the USB hole that require the socket to remain as a USB one

Doesn't kid the USB port , or change it ..

My GPS receiver is designed for a serial port .. the software only kicks in when the GPS is plugged in and converts it to USB

I thought all GPS receivers were serial , but Jim's post would suggest some are designed for USB

Has your GPS got a serial to USB adapter on it or just the USB plug ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
7 GPS's here and all USB units !

Aint even seen a standard com port one for a good few years Jim Think the last one I had was proly a Garmin 510 but not sure

USB is actually a coms port ( Uncommitted Serial Bus ) so it does seem odd that a brand new, bang up to date, bit of software from MS should have this problem..

GPS talks to the computer no probs at all ( in fact just uploaded a couple of routes and this weeks audio book to it :Smile: ) so tis def to do with the Autoroute software rather than the GPS or the computer :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
7 GPS's here and all USB units !

Aint even seen a standard com port one for a good few years Jim Think the last one I had was proly a Garmin 510 but not sure

USB is actually a coms port ( Uncommitted Serial Bus ) so it does seem odd that a brand new, bang up to date, bit of software from MS should have this problem..

GPS talks to the computer no probs at all ( in fact just uploaded a couple of routes and this weeks audio book to it :Smile: ) so tis def to do with the Autoroute software rather than the GPS or the computer :Smile:

I think we are at cross purposes :Doh: nothing unusual there :ROFLMAO:

I have a dedicated GPS mouse which I use with AR .. I thought you were talking about the same :Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
GPS talks to the computer no probs at all

But as a SatNav not as a GPS.

A Universal Serial Bus GPS dongle transmits the GPS data sentences continually, your SatNav will just be listening for routes etc.

There may be a menu option to output the GPS data. Or not.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
According to the blurb you can hook any GPS to the bloody thing and it should work.. But good point Brian

I have a GPS dongle tucked away somewhere.. I will dig it out and give it a go

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
According to the blurb you can hook any GPS to the bloody thing and it should work..

GPS yes, SatNav no. I've got Autoroute running a treat off a Bluetooth GPS receiver I got off ebay for under a tenner.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
You may have got the autoroute downloads from me - if not look at my site as I have a load on there.

USB devices, like GPS, *usually* pretend to be serial and appear as a COMx port. Then any software will talk to the "fake" COM port.

Without seeing your PC its hard to explain what COM port it is, but try them all, and ensure your GPS is configured correctly (it may come with a utility to nomniate a COM port?)

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ummmm as ex leader of the IT gang ( ::bigsmile: :Blush: ) of one of the largest companies producing certain intimate rubber way, and also being one of the team of 6 that developed the first RLL hard drive interface for XT lugables chances are I will follow any explantion you wish to offer ::bigsmile:

I know HOW it should work and know that the Autoroute software is not offering me any option other than com 3 ( IRQ 4 so in theory a pos conflict with com 1.. except I do not actually have a come 3 any way so not so much a conflict as a phantom !! )

I am sure I read somewhere that there is a way to instruct autoroute to 'see' USB ports but am blowed if I can find it !!

Basically the machine is fine with all the Uncommitted Serial Bus ports being seen and working

The GPS is talking to the machine in every program except Autoroute..
And now, reading further, it would appear that Brian hit the nail on the head ..

What Autoroute is looking for is a GPS, not a sat nav unit.. In other words just a dongle ( mind you, finding one of those with an old standard serial interface would not be that easy I would have thought ! )

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What Autoroute is looking for is a GPS, not a sat nav unit.. In other words just a dongle ( mind you, finding one of those with an old standard serial interface would not be that easy I would have thought ! )

that's what I thought you were asking about in your first post , hence my reply

Google GPS Mouse and you will find plenty serial ones

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Spot on Jim ! :Smile:
Also sussed out the Atlas board stuff as well now so proly do not need the gps dongle anyway ! LOL !!!

That will teach me to suss out exactly what I want to actually DO before starting to do the 'doing' ! :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back