Free camper van parking in Cornwall reviewed (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We Motorhomers have quite a few irresponsible people among us. Those that just take the P bigtime. Rather that pass laws to hit those that abuse the system, its much easier to legislate and enforce total bans. By the time my kids get a motorhome most every nice spot in the country (and further) will have been ruined with "No Motorhomes" signs,

I know there are a lot of us, and most vans look the same to Joe Public, so it could be that at a lot of these sites they are seeing different vans. However I know from experience that there are just too many who stay too long, have nowhere suitable for waste and give the rest of us a bad name. They often have crap and crud all around the motorhome and think nothing of stopping in the same beachside carpark for the full six week school holiday. Then next year, theres a height barrier :censored:2:censored:2 We won't win this one I'm afraid. :Sad:

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
:cry:I live in the same village as Claude Smith and have known him more than 20years and he has a point, which is that some (and only some) people are taking up residence here almost permanently to the detriment of other people. It is the most wonderful spot and I say this as a born and bred local and as always it is a shame that a few are spoiling it for the rest. A couple of nights would do nobody any harm.
Below is a quote from another forum site.
"there are some things I never pay for regardless of the price, like camp sites....and web sites ":Doh:
Need I say more. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I can understand the locals getting upset while you have folk saying they park up for a fortnight and will do till it becomes illegal, those sort do not help the more reasonalbe motorhomers that would only stay a night maybe two, they spoil it for others by gaining a complete ban for everyone

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One solution might be a "one night in any seven" rule to stop abuse.

Graham

Sounds like a good idea Graham, it would be nice to think that councils would adopt such a plan rather than blanket bans.

Maybe if they charged, even a tiny amount for that one (or two) nights it would deter some of the worst offenders, many of which are only happy when getting something for nothing. I love (free)wild camping, but I would be happy to pay, Who could object to paying a couple of quid to park up on a sea wall, especially if it meant you could park there next year too.

Maybe we should be writing to the councilors. Fancy drafting something Graham?, We'll all copy it and email it::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm ahead of you Jim :Smile:. Below is a copy of the e-mail I sent, half an hour ago, to the councillor quoted in the BBC article <sunicholas@cornwall.gov.uk>

Dear Councillor Nicholas,

I was alerted to the article "Free camper van parking in Cornwall reviewed" on the BBC web site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/10535003.stm) by a post of a motorhome forum.

Whilst, as a motorhome owner, I like to see facilities for motorhomes I have every sympathy with local residents whose lives are abused by inconsiderate owners. Having studied the subject of motorhome parking I appreciate that the legislation covering roadside parking differs from that covering off-road car parks.

However, I wonder if it may be possible to apply the same sort of rule as is used by some local authorities (Powys is an example) which allow motorhomes to stay in their car parks but for no more than one night in any seven. This may be a solution which officers of your authority may be able to explore with officers in other authorities such as Powys.

Regards,
Graham

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
I reported this situation on one of our forums a while back.

I pass by this location at least twice every day on my way to Town and make a point of checking on who and what is going on at the Marazion lay-by and car park.
There are currently two motorhomes there that have not moved from one spot for at least two weeks.
As it is such a great place to stay, I have appointed myself local busybody and observer and have begun to keep a photographic record of motorhomes parked there for any length of time as I don't want to see us lose this facility.
I've even considered posting the pics on here in a 'Folder of shame' showing the registration numbers.

I think the council has been very tolerant thus far but this situation cannot continue without some action in the future.

Do these people honestly believe that nobody is going to notice, or are they on some crusade to deny us all the use of these stopping places ?
:Angry:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Two days does not hurt but two weeks maybe they should get a council tax bill:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Do these people honestly believe that nobody is going to notice, or are they on some crusade to deny us all the use of these stopping places ?
:Angry:

Probably neither but more, just as with so much of society these days, so long as they get what they want nobody else matters.

They will probably be the first to complain (in all innocence of course) should restrictions be introduced.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
One solution might be a "one night in any seven" rule to stop abuse.

Graham

This may work out of season, but during the high season may simply create a higher turnover of vans.. problem not resolved.

If this is such a great spot, and it certainly looks like it on the Google map, then would it not be a better idea to suggest to the council to create a limited number of motorhome only parking places, say six, and charge say £10 per 24 hrs with a max of 48 hrs. ?
In effect an aire..

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
This may work out of season, but during the high season may simply create a higher turnover of vans.. problem not resolved.

If this is such a great spot, and it certainly looks like it on the Google map, then would it not be a better idea to suggest to the council to create a limited number of motorhome only parking places, say six, and charge say £10 per 24 hrs with a max of 48 hrs. ?
In effect an aire..

Good idea but then people using it would be moaning that there is no water or waste facilites or hook ups!!!

Its not going to happen, anything other than a complete ban is open to abuse, its a shame but its the same old story of the few ruining it for the many im afraid.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
the sort of person in that report that is going to stop as long as they want and sod everyone else is very hard to legislate against without spoiling it for the rest

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
"I've got the sea front......."

Says it all doesn't it?

I mostly wild camp and I'm paranoid about upsetting people - how people can be so thick skinned escapes me!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

In effect an aire..

I got the impression from the article that the location was blocked by long stayers, preventing local people from finding somewhere to park. If there were a turnover there should be periods between one van leaving and another arriving when locals would have a chance of getting in.

I'm not against the idea of an aire though. Why not drop an e-mail to Councillor Nicholas suggesting it as an alternative? If she receives a number of constructive alternative suggestions from motorhomers she will, at least, appreciate that we're not all irresponsible.

Graham

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Easy for them I parked for free and s*d whoever comes behind,or whatever problems it causes.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm not against the idea of an aire though. Why not drop an e-mail to Councillor Nicholas suggesting it as an alternative? If she receives a number of constructive alternative suggestions from motorhomers she will, at least, appreciate that we're not all irresponsible.

Graham

Good idea .. I have written with that suggestion.. :Smile:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
there's a big car park at the end of the layby iv never seen it full yet so why not make the layby pay and display like the car park i bet the locales wont wont to park there then seems we all wont something for nothing and yes am one that parks up for 2-3 days and i pay road taxs and ins ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
Heres a question would this guy like a motorhome parked outside he's house for a fortnight with some one living in it .I THINK THE ANSWER WOULD BE NO !

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
When this thread started, I honestly thought there'd be people by now posting in defence of Mr. Vallis from that article. I guess they all disappeared with the subscription...so mark that up as a success :Smile:. Either that or they haven't returned from the beach to their MHs yet to comment.

Speaking of the BBC article - a bit of a clumsy comparison, but I can't look at him standing there proudly next to his MH and his treasured parking spot and not think of all those old B&W photos of colonials standing proudly over the body of some magnificent tiger/elephant/etc. they've just blasted to smithereens for no good reason other than sport - totally unaware of the long-term consequences, just their own gratification. And eventually a relic of a bygone age - which I hope applies to his attitude and not motorhoming in general in this country as people like him cause more and more restrictions :Sad:

I'm not sure what image he was trying to project when he posed next to his MH - to me he just looks like an arrogant :censored:2er.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I'd be quite happy to follow Mr Vallis home, and park outside his house for a fortnight, the arrogant :censored:2 head

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
There is another solution as, Ted Vallis, 82, from Bristol, parks here for 2 weeks a
year would he mind if i park at his place:thumb::thumb: whilst he and others are messing it up for the people who only want a short stay.

You have to feel for the locals who have to put up with the arrogants and ignorance of
the few who will mess it up for us.

I have stayed here one night, but have visited a lot one thing i have noticed is there are a lot of forign vans, that take a while to move on so perhaps "GOOD CLEAR SIGNS" with some time restrictions would help this and other parking areas.

Im going to go and rant now as this topic really gets my hackles up:shout::shout::shout:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I've just emailed the councillor concerned and outlined the French Aires system to her.

If enough of us were to respond to these sorts of reports maybe we would eventually change things! Ever hopeful!!:Smile:

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
like Cornishaich and rainbowchaser i know this area well . I always have my lunch there if working nearby.
I think GJH has the right idea in his letter, either end of the seafront wall in question there is a carpark and another further down the road towards Penzance.
The council could allow overnighting in these and then restrict parking along the wall area to no motorhomes between the hours of darkness. Both carparks always seem to have room in them.

Min:thumb:

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
it is a good spot and have pulled up here for 1 night in the past, very noisy with cars though and would not want a fortnight holiday there even if free, we regularly pull in to admire the view , i would not object to paying there for a overnight stop if needed and we were planning on doing so new year , 1 comment i will pass is that locals do use it for free and i witnessed 1 such person pull up walk his large dogs on the beach and leave dog poos for the tide to wash out " nice behaviour " , despite the signs threatning prosocution :whatthe:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
parking in cornwall reviewed

Sorry chaps I can't agree with you on this. I've seen the mess these people leave behind, not only in Mounts Bay, but on the Lizard and, in particular Kynance Cove . Perhaps the sins of the few are responsible for tarring us all with the same brush, but I think if the Cornwall Council takes action, it will be justified! One comfort maybe, is the fact overseas M/H are the worst offenders in the instances I have seen actually happen. Among those I saw , one Dutch chap emptying his cassette, and of course "No speakee the English" when I boned him

If you can afford to own and run a M/H, then you should be able to afford to book into a camp site!
Rangitira

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
hmmmm

campsite not everyones idea of fun, really enjoy the rallies with people we know, love ayr campsite in st ives , really looking forward to loch ness campsite on loch, good campsite drumore right on the beach , but lots of awful muddy, dirty campsites i would not use , this should be everyones choice but not to be abused by the few and as i posted last year 2 large new motorhomes pulled up by me at 1 of my favorite spots in cornwall ( which we do pay for but not a campsite ) and after running gennys until early hours emptied their garages in the morning putting back the bits they wanted, emptied their wastes on the ground and drove off leaving all their rubbish behind ( these were both 50k+ motorhomes ) who did not deserve to stay anywhere except the counciil tip , i was told " if you do not like your neibours move on", that attitude seems to have disapeared now as these great places are being ruined by the few t.........s .

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
I have found in talking to some of the travellers, that are often the long stay’ers at Station House (Marazion) and the lay bys either side of the road above Golsithney are working picking daffodils and potatoes and not really motorhomers at all. There are others who are a sort of new age traveller that local authorities have been trying to keep off public and private land for years and a few inconsiderate free loading motorhomers.
Some sort of Aire system, being tried by Teignbridge council in South Devon, as at the car parks in Teignmouth and Dawlish Warren. My wife and I spent a night in each of these car parks with a night on a CL site near Kingsbridge in February this year and really enjoyed the area. So I am not averse to wildcamping just not too wild as to be a menace to someone else.
Reported in the March issue of Motorhome Monthly that Teignbridge Council is to allow overnight parking for motorhomes at two of its car parks, Dawlish Warren and Eastcliffe, both close to Teignmouth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back