Euro Tunnel- Pet Travel Scheme Update -if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit. (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Gus i don't see the country of birth or residence playing any role here, merely the criteria of entry for ALL dogs, cats and ferrets.

Any country can issue a passport for a dog, it's nothing official, it's just a book. The dog could have been born in France, have a passport from Germany and have vets stamps from Belgian, it all works.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Any dog whatever their origin would require the same when entering the UK i.e. blood test result,health check and proof of worming and passport. What the EU decide to do if anything we don't know yet :whistle:

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
It is the UK government that demands that pets have passports and are up to date with the rabies vaccine so why should it all change if there is no Brexit deal?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
bellabee - you don't need a Pet Passport to go to the EU - you only need it to get back into the UK .........

:france: :france: :france: :france:
After B day you may have to comply with the Third Country rules to enter the EU.

Coming back to the UK is different and as far as I know the UK doesn't have a stated position in the event of a no deal but I suspect if you qualify under current rules (pet passport and worming etc) you should be fine.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is the UK government that demands that pets have passports and are up to date with the rabies vaccine so why should it all change if there is no Brexit deal?
See above. The EU has its own rules which currently don't apply to the UK as we are in the EU. It changes once we leave unless agreements are reached.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Gus i don't see the country of birth or residence playing any role here, merely the criteria of entry for ALL dogs, cats and ferrets.

Any country can issue a passport for a dog, it's nothing official, it's just a book. The dog could have been born in France, have a passport from Germany and have vets stamps from Belgian, it all works.
That's like saying that any French,German, Italians that enter the Uk on holiday need a visa to get back out ?
This is what is ****ing me off is that I am expecting exactly the same situation to occur for myself if I enter the UK & then being asked to apply for a 'visa' to enter the EU to actually go home.
A dog that is from the EU should not require anything from ,or in, the UK to leave the place.
If he does then he should not have been allowed to enter.

Reactions: DBK

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
That's like saying that any French,German, Italians that enter the Uk on holiday need a visa to get back out ?
This is what is ****ing me off is that I am expecting exactly the same situation to occur for myself if I enter the UK & then being asked to apply for a 'visa' to enter the EU to actually go home.
A dog that is from the EU should not require anything from ,or in, the UK to leave the place.
If he does then he should not have been allowed to enter.

So you mean that to enter France they would consider your dog as coming from a high rabies risk area ? in which case the worst scenario is the blood test but i doubt that anyone will class the UK as high risk rabies.

Having the blood test done would remove any doubts you may have, you can bring a dog to France from any country then.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Think it is all too unpredictable at the moment and i for 1 am playing safe and have booked a ferry ticket back to uk on 28th march while there are still spaces.

Can certainly afford to write off a ferry ticket once i know what is definitely going on but i dont want to get caught with any problems on or after the 29th

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I don't think that any of the website really explains what current travelling pets need to do. If your dog is already in date rabies jabs, will you need a new jab and then the blood test, wait 3 months and get the Health Certificate, or just a blood test wait 3 months and Health Certificate or finally as I would hope, just the Health Certificate.
All the advice seems to be for new pets who haven't travelled before.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I don't think that any of the website really explains what current travelling pets need to do. If your dog is already in date rabies jabs, will you need a new jab and then the blood test, wait 3 months and get the Health Certificate, or just a blood test wait 3 months and Health Certificate or finally as I would hope, just the Health Certificate.
All the advice seems to be for new pets who haven't travelled before.

This is the bit for pets that have PREVIOUSLY
travelled under pet passport scheme.

Repeat trips to the EU
Pets that have previously had a blood test and have an up-to-date rabies vaccination do not need to repeat the blood test. Your pet will need a health certificate for each trip to the EU.

To get a new health certificate you must take your pet to an OV no more than 10 days before you travel. You must take proof of:

• your pet’s vaccination history
  • a successful rabies antibody blood test result
Return to the UK
Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:

• an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens)
  • the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU
  • a UK pet health certificate (issued outside the UK for travel into the UK only)
Check the routes before you travel. On existing approved routes your documents and microchip will be checked. If you’re not travelling on an approved route talk to your vet about what preparations you need to make before travel.

There will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.

Travel from countries that are not free from tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis)
You’ll need to take your dog to a vet between one and five days before returning to the UK for an approved tapeworm treatment.

You do not need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway.

UK nationals living abroad
If you’re living in Europe and are planning to travel with your pet using a UK-issued pet passport, you should speak to your local vet. They’ll be able to help you understand the impact of Brexit and ensure you’re compliant with EU Pet Travel Regulations.

If you have a pet passport issued by an EUmember state, you can use it to bring your pet to the UK.

To return your pet to an EU country from the UK, you’ll need to ensure it has a successful rabies antibody blood test.

If your pet has a successful blood test before leaving the EU you will not need to wait the 3 months before travelling.

So it looks like a belt & braces approach is to get a new pet passport issued in an EU country.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Clearly I cannot speed read as well as I thought I could :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Its bureaucratic nonsense - part of "Project Fear" to get you to accept a deal, any deal, bad deal, fudge deal.

How can a pet dog that was properly documented, suddenly become a health risk either to the UK or the EU an arbitrary day later ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Its bureaucratic nonsense - part of "Project Fear" to get you to accept a deal, any deal, bad deal, fudge deal.

How can a pet dog that was properly documented, suddenly become a health risk either to the UK or the EU an arbitrary day later ?
It doesn't which is why hopefully there should be no change if common sense prevails. However, the EU has its own rules on how pets entering it are treated. There is a list of countries which are considered "safe' but the UK isn't currently on that list so if we are not added to it we may be treated as a" third country" and pets will require the measures listed above.

This is why DEFRA have advised if someone wants to be 100% sure they can travel with their dog they need to follow the steps needed to comply with third country status.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thought I was doing all right with this, but now.............
If the certificate is only valid for four months but has to be done 3 months before travel, what good is that !

It's the blood test that has to be done 3 mths before travel and passed,the health check is another earner for vets that can be done closer to time of travel.
Have you ever known DEFRA think things through :mad:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
If we get a deal will things stay as they are, or lets go how
long will we have to wait be before can go

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Calm down John, read first line and last paragraph :D

upload_2018-11-11_15-37-31.png

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Our two Springers have been travelling to the EU for years, they are 8 and 6 years.
The 8 year old had the blood test as it was required then. However our 6 year old didn't need it and was given rabies vaccination twice, a month apart as a puppy.
So it would seem the young one will now have to have the blood titre test even though she has been travelling for all of those 6 years and had her rabies vac booster all on time. She is due another rabies booster in January, so if we want to travel in Jan we will have the rabies vac booster done a bit earlier. I presume she won't need the blood titre done for travel in Jan providing we come back before March 29th?
However because of new arrangements from March 29th am considering having the rabies vac booster and then the blood titre test done. This used to be done a month after rabies vac, so don't know why you have to wait 3 months? I am also assuming as she has had rabies vaccination regularly that we shouldn't need to wait that long 3 months a blood titre test?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We've got an appointment for the titre test on Tuesday. We were having it anyway, as we're planning on going to Morocco in January, and coming home to the UK in April/May. If we were only going to Europe, I'd still have it done (although the thought of paying £150 for the privilege of taking my dog somewhere where he's been travelling trouble-free for years greatly grieves me :oops:)
For us, it would just be too great a risk to take, if we were to encounter problems in trying to bring him home.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So you mean that to enter France they would consider your dog as coming from a high rabies risk area ? in which case the worst scenario is the blood test but i doubt that anyone will class the UK as high risk rabies.

Having the blood test done would remove any doubts you may have, you can bring a dog to France from any country then.
Yes true .

UK nationals living abroad
If you’re living in Europe and are planning to travel with your pet using a UK-issued pet passport, you should speak to your local vet. They’ll be able to help you understand the impact of Brexit and ensure you’re compliant with EU Pet Travel Regulations.

If you have a pet passport issued by an EUmember state, you can use it to bring your pet to the UK.

To return your pet to an EU country from the UK, you’ll need to ensure it has a successful rabies antibody blood test.

If your pet has a successful blood test before leaving the EU you will not need to wait the 3 months before travelling.

So it looks like a belt & braces approach is to get a new pet passport issued in an EU country

So basically if he needs one " to return your pet to the EU" it means that it will be the same as returning from Morocco so I will get the pet passport done with that filled in.
Still concerning me that they'll be asking me to get a visa.o_O
Is there an 'out' dept that I can claim the cost back ?:)

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Just to add a little humour What about my pet python?
And no he doesn't go walkies he slithers!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just got back from our extremely clued-up vet's. She takes a particular interest in pet passports and was very keen to give us as much information as she has. She told us that we were the fourth lot of clients she had seen in the past week for the titre test. Because of this, she warned that the government labs are getting very busy, so it would be unwise for anyone who had concerns about travelling with pets to leave it until the last minute.
She was at pains to point out that nobody knows what will happen, or what the requirements will be, and that advice is changing week-by-week, so we should keep up-to-speed with changing requirements even while we are away.
Apparently, DEFRA have also raised the possibility that in future, existing passports will no longer be valid, and new 'British' passports will have to be issued. As I understand it, this would only be a paper exercise and not involve new vaccinations.
I post this merely to help others travelling with pets to make their own informed decisions.
We are now crossing our fingers that our dog will have the required level of immunity. We should find our within about a week.(y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We are now crossing our fingers that our dog will have the required level of immunity. We should find our within about a week.
Hi Chris. So did Nobby have a rabies jab or booster before they took the blood for the test? If so, how long before? Your post reads as if you only have to wait for approx 1 week for the results - is that correct? We are on tour in Spain at the moment until end of Dec and are starting another tour in March, so I'm worried that, because I can't get him to the vets until end December, that it will take ages for the titre test to come back from the lab. Barley had his booster rabies jab 2 weeks ago which lasts for 3 years, however everything I have read seems to suggest that he will have yet another before they do the titre test. This not knowing is really frustrating.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Ann @ The Dudess. He didn't have a booster before the test. He had his booster in January this year, which she said should be recent enough to give him a sufficient level of antibodies. Apparently, because they are rarely actually exposed to the disease, the level of antibodies decreases with time. I think you'd be very unlucky for Barley not to be OK. The vet said that most dogs pass, but some have to be re-inoculated and re-tested. She had one dog which had to be tested three times before it passed. She felt that it would not, in any case, be sensible to take such a dog to a rabies area. It's not just a matter of passing a test for the passport. It's also a matter of the safety of the dog.
If Nobby does fail, I think we'll have him re-inoculated and re-tested but limit ourselves to staying in Europe with him. He's almost thirteen now, and we wouldn't want to take the risk of taking him to Morocco.
The test results should be back in about a week, but she did say that she expects that time scale to increase because of the numbers of tests which the lab will have to perform.
Hope you're enjoying your trip.
Everything will, no doubt, have changed by the time you get back and there will, hopefully, be more certainty by then.

Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
Just back from the vets. She explained that the new arrangements will require a blood test to ensure the antibody count is at or above a level of 0.5 IU/ml. Her feeling was have the rabies vaccination anyway, even though my dog was vaccinated last year, as if it fails the blood test it will delay the time you can enter Europe even further.

The main difference to the scheme is that you will have to comply with the regulations to enter Europe; not as is the case now which is compliance to come back into the UK. This means you cannot enter Europe until 3 months after your pet passes the blood test. This means a 4 month wait at the earliest before entry into Europe.

Cost will be around £150.00.

Watching the news today this looks most likely.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Quoted 148€ yesterday if mine needs it to get back out of the UK. Bit like going to Morocco:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back