LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

We have a windout awning and always peg the legs down but we have a couple of holders/brackets that go on outside wall to hold the legs in. What i would like to know is how do i fit them do i have to drill them or can i just use a good adhesive to fit brackets.

Thanks
Gerry

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
You'll need to screw (or bolt) them to a solid point on the body work. There can be quite alot of forces applied to these, wind, rain, banging your head on them so it needs a firm mount. If the disired fix point shows any flex keep looking for truly solid, and put a little sealant under as you fix so as to prevent any water ingress.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
You'll need to screw (or bolt) them to a solid point on the body work. There can be quite alot of forces applied to these, wind, rain, banging your head on them so it needs a firm mount. If the disired fix point shows any flex keep looking for truly solid, and put a little sealant under as you fix so as to prevent any water ingress.

Agree totally have seen the side of a van ripped when only fixed to bodywork alone with nothing solid to screw into, this was after only one gust of strong wind.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Cheers guys for the quick reply i will have a look later and see if i feel like doing it myself im sure it should be easy enough if i find a solid part.

Gerry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Gerry,

dont rely on screws and glue.....the surface area is just too small for the loads imposed, unless you can locate any timber bearers.

you need to drill right through and place a spreader plate over the bolts on the inside.
a very easy job but some very careful measuring is needed.....and a couple of corresponding low level lockers/cupboards so the fixings dont show.

the back one should be ok due to the rear lockers but the front bracket may end up behind the fridge or cooker.:Sad:

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
Hi
If its for the fiamma awning then you can get a fixing kit from johns cross motorhomes at around £12 inc postage.
As for the fitting the fiamma kit. this requires 2 x 10mm holes drilled through the side of the van and comes with a bracket for you to fit on the inside then screws in from the external side using 2 x screws (supplied) also just before fitting a drop of silicone or sikaflex aroung the holes would be required to protect it from water ingress. This is required for each bracket. Sounds Daunting but its rather easy. (just get the height right first) also check internally that there are no obstructions before drilling.
regards
Alan
Direct Motorhome Services

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Personally, I would not fit them, especially on a large awning. When a strong gust of wind gets under the awning it acts like a sail putting all the strain on the fixing points and the panels.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for all the replys i think i will leave it till i come home from hols as away on monday and dont want to have big holes in side of van. We only want to use them as sometimes when we stop cant get pegs in ground or just stopping somewhere for an hour.
Everyone says its an easy job but sounding harder with each posting:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: think i will just use double sideed tape:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

As for hiding screws from inside we have a long sofa at that side so should be under that and a small cupboard at back so that should be ok.

Thanks Guys
Gerry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for all the replys i think i will leave it till i come home from hols as away on monday and dont want to have big holes in side of van. We only want to use them as sometimes when we stop cant get pegs in ground or just stopping somewhere for an hour.
Everyone says its an easy job but sounding harder with each posting:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: think i will just use double sideed tape:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

As for hiding screws from inside we have a long sofa at that side so should be under that and a small cupboard at back so that should be ok.

Thanks Guys
Gerry
Over complicated instructions thats all
4 x 6" nails bent over inside van, sorted:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
heers Geo i knew paying my £12 on here would save me loads of money when doing jobs on van should i use galvanised nails or will that not matter:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I could also use the nail for hanging stuff in the inside:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
lol knowing geo they would be the rustiest nails he could find.
Like his fishing hooks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My rusty nails are my fishing hooks
Oh my gawd just had flashbacks of that sharrrrrrk I caught:Doh: