Rally Chat Bluebell Line Railway. Possible 2019 rally (1 Viewer)

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
We would be interested in this. Will keep an eye out for any more info. Sounds great (y)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Interested ....NHS permitting :rolleyes: . Please keep us informed Peter..... thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Yes please, we would love to come to this steam rally, if there's any room left that is? and we can see the dates when firmed up.
Deposit no problem, await your instructions.
Many thanks
Les & TinaL

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Apologies if I'm treading on @Wombles toes but I happened to pass by Horsted Keynes station today so stopped to take a few pics.
There is a series of fields rising up from the station which are sometimes used as an overflow car park.
Today there was one water tap in the first field but no leccy except a cabinet with 4 industrial type outlets at 415volts.
The very helpful on-duty Fat Controller told me that they have previously left the toilets open 24/7 for rallies. There is also a manhole cover outside the station 'Gents' which can be lifted for emptying toilet cassettes. Shown here by the gate and behind the green pillar...
2018-10-17 Horsted Keynes station approach 013.JPG

This pic taken outside the station building looking up the first slightly sloping camping field / overflow car park
Horsted Keynes station approach 002.JPG

Further up looking back towards the station from where the above pic was taken. (The marquee was being erected privately for an upcoming event)..........
2018-10-17 Horsted Keynes station approach 006.JPG

From the two oak trees above looking further away from the station and up the field...
2018-10-17 Horsted Keynes station approach 005.JPG

Even further over the rise above is a very sloping field (Gulp! - probably not necessary unless a vast number of Funsters want to go).
2018-10-17 Horsted Keynes station approach 008.JPG

You must approach from Cinder Hill Lane to avoid the 8' high railway arch.
2018-10-17 Horsted Keynes station approach 015.JPG

and this is the road sign on Cinder Hill Lane at the correct turnoff for the station......
2018-10-17 Horsted Keynes station approach 020.JPG

Sign wording more clearly shown below..........
2018-10-17 Horsted Keynes station approach 023.JPG

When you take the turn off at the signpost above there is the sign shown below at the start of the approach road. Ignore the height restriction warning as you will enter the station/camping field 200 yds before getting as far as the bridge.
2018-10-17 Horsted Keynes station approach 024.JPG

I was told that the new locomotive shed (a very big shed!) at Sheffield Park station (10 mins by Bluebell Line steam train from the camping field) will be officially opened this Saturday 20th Oct.
Perhaps the station makes special arrangements/provides additional facilities for specific organised events but this post is just for interest in what I saw today.

Last edited:

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just on my second van but still I'm a newbie
Hi Peter

Can I please be entered onto the 'interested list' subject to dates (when confirmed) not clashing with other 'fun' events I've now committed to.

Thanks

Rob

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just want to remind everybody that this is only an expression of interest thread. There is no "official list" at the moment. Please read my first post in this thread for what it is all about.

I had visited the railway before posting. On a subsequent recent visit with my motorhome a problem became apparent. The fields at Horsted Keynes are not suitable in that there is no way you can get a motorhome anywhere near level on them. Bear in mind I was using my levelling jacks, which can lift the motorhome higher than on ramps, and I could not get anywhere near level. When I first looked at the fields I thought they were OK in places and we should be able to get a good few motorhomes on the flatter areas, but that has proved to be wrong. The only flat area is the hard standing car park itself and that would only hold about 15 to 20 motorhomes once they were spaced out correctly.

I have been trying to contact the railway for the last week about this problem as there appears to be a suitable overflow car park we may be able to use at Sheffield Park, but I am not sure whether they will be happy with that or whether or not it has water. Unfortunately my contact has not yet come back to me, but I will keep trying. I hope to wrap things up one way or another and let you all know in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Best of luck. It would be a shame not to be able to visit.
Shame you cannot make your last post 'sticky' or repeat it it to the top.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter, Would be interested, but is there any proper beer down in those parts.
Bill
Now then Bill, just remember where all the hops used to be grown! Yes there is plenty of proper beer down this way, including the oldest independent brewery in the UK, Shepherd Neame in Kent. But even better is Harveys Brewery just down the road from the railway at Lewes. Nectar of the Gods. Proper beer mind you, none of the fizzy top pressure crap.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I noticed a couple of campsites near the railway, one is called Ouse Meadows, looks very basic just a big field with water only.
Might be OK but their website link is under construction.
Theres also Wowo Campsite near Uckfield, however they say they dont like "Large" campers on their site, not sure if its an option as it may be too far away from Railway, as I am not that familiar with the area.
Are these suitable as an idea/option?
All the best.
Les

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I noticed a couple of campsites near the railway, one is called Ouse Meadows, looks very basic just a big field with water only.
Might be OK but their website link is under construction.
Theres also Wowo Campsite near Uckfield, however they say they dont like "Large" campers on their site, not sure if its an option as it may be too far away from Railway, as I am not that familiar with the area.
Are these suitable as an idea/option?
All the best.
Les
Thanks Les, but I have already checked for any campsites close to the Stations. Neither Ouse Meadows nor Wowo would take motorhomes.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Peter
Thats a shame:(, still their loss I would say:) We are after all a well behaved bunch, aren't we?;)
Les

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Can you put us down as possible, depending on dates.

Is is MH only or would we be able to bring our caravan as we'd probably want to include it a tour around the area which is better with the caravan so we've got the car to get around.

Denise

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Thank you but not this time. We only live a few miles away and were interested as we were thinking of taking the grandkids this half term as it also has good cycling near by. Hope it goes well a very good place to visit.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I AM AFRAID THAT THIS RALLY WILL NOW NOT TAKE PLACE. PLEASE DO NOT PUT ANY MORE POSTS ON THIS THREAD ........ but there is some good news as well as bad news!

In Post No 224 above I set out the problems we were having with the original venue. The bad news is we have been unable to find any suitable alternative venue to hold a Rally at the Bluebell Railway. The Railway did not want us to use their overflow car park and we could not find any alternative places. Sorry about that.

But I hope there will be some good news. I am in the final throws of arranging a rally next to the Kent and East Sussex Railway (KESR), which has 10.5 miles of heritage line running steam trains between the pretty Kent town of Tenterden and the village of Bodiam, close to the stunning moated National Trust property of Bodiam Castle. And to top it all you can do a bit of cycling, canoeing kayaking and fishing if you want. I intend to post a new thread with all of the details in the next few days and I will PM all who have posted there interest here to pre-warn you all.

Thank you all for showing interest in this thread and I apologise that we were not able to organise a meet at the Bluebell, but I hope you will find that what we have got lined up at the KESR is equally as good.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR INTEREST HERE AS I WILL NOT BE MONITORING THIS THREAD FROM NOW ONWARDS. PLEASE WAIT UNTIL I POST IN THE NEW THREAD.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry to hear that Peter after all your hard work, thanks for the effort.

Looks like we will have to go back to dancing on the platforms at their 1940's weekend to get our free train rides.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back