Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
So it's out with the ten quid Nokia as I have just ordered my first ever smart phone. I've bought it mainly for the apps.

I have some camping apps in mind but I'd appreciate recommendations for any that are essential or worth a look.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Campercontact is great for finding "Aires and Stellplatz" various Sat Nav apps are available from free to a few 10's of £, Maps.me if you like walking and want footpaths on your new Smart phone(y) You might want a compass so your can orientate the van for the sun or Satellite reception whichever floats your boat, oh and a sprit level to check up on your Hydraulics jack's;)

Martin

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
There are lots and lots. Start with Maps.me . Its free and has just about all roads and footpaths all over the world. It downloads maps so you can use it when offline. Great for walks.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
google is the obvious main one for finding everything on maps you can just type in supermarket or vets or bar and the list pops upi think google maps is as good as any of the free sat nav apps now. Our main ones for travelling are camper contact,park for night,my lpg and lpgeu.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a few BBC apps, News, Weather and iPlayer Radio and the TV one. Photo and Picture Resizer is useful sometimes for reducing the size of images to email them. There are several like it but this is the best I've found, it will even handle RAW files. Just look for a title exactly as I've written it. :)
Kindle, File Commander and the Huawei app to link to the mifi more or less completes the list of the ones I use on my phone. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Some are more useful than others if travelling abroad but there's quite a few good ones, for campsites and aires etc there's ACSI, Archies, park4night, campercontact, camperstops and others which are for specific countries. If you plan to use your phone as a satnav I use Copilot truck (there's also Copilot Caravan) which allows you to put in the vehicles dimensions, weight etc tho there are other satnav apps. You can also add POI'S such as aires, supermarkets etc. TomTom do a free speedcam app (android) which is very useful and it works without the need for a satnav but does require internet access. There are apps for LPG garages such as LPG.eu and cheapest fuel stations. If you like walking/biking then apps like Alpinequest or Viewranger are good, for ferries there are apps like Aferry and Directferries. Basically there's an app for most things most of which are free or very resonably priced
Ps forgot about apps like Fiatcamper if yr on a Ducato-based mh, useful if you have problems with it or want to check for recalls. Enjoy yr new gadget!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Thanks for the reminder to download an lpg app

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have Speedometer app, shows the speed in mph or kph as digital number full screen, only operated by passenger!
Also Spotify, small charge but can play music etc through camper audio system.
As above BBC news and weather apps and photo Shriner.
I have HUAWEI app and also EE (my phone provider) to check bills and usage.
As a family, we use 23 Snaps for private Facebook type communications with photos etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just started to use a weather forecast app called Ventusky which was mentioned by a funster on another thread about a week ago ... you can use it as a web site (eg on a laptop etc) or download it as an app - I've got the Android version so you'll need to check if there is an iPhone version - make sure you get the free version as there's a paid for one too (£2.99 for a year) but we've found that the free one is more the sufficient for our needs an has come in extremely useful whilst we are currently in Spain and trying to avoid all the bad weather!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Anybody in the Caravan and Camping Club the out&about app is quite good for identifying DA meets and THS Temporary Holiday Sites.

Martin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So it's out with the ten quid Nokia as I have just ordered my first ever smart phone. I've bought it mainly for the apps.

I have some camping apps in mind but I'd appreciate recommendations for any that are essential or worth a look.
You'll love it... I think. Get the app for your bank, Google maps, ebay, Facebook (I know... But it's great for keeping in touch), Aires, what's app, messenger, Google mail, BBC news, Readly, Tesco Club card, EON, HP printer, nectar, PayPal, Google translate, Visa, Tunein radio, wetherspoons, you tube. And thousands more (y) enjoy and welcome to the world :cool:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
You have a compass on the iPhone which you can change to true north in settings if you wish, it also gives the co ordinates on the compass screen and swipe left and you have an excellent spirit level with several functions. Use it all the time, free and very good. Park4night also a good app, have used maps.me all over the place, including Morocco very good and it works without Wi-fi, although I think google maps is probably just as good, unless anyone else knows better?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Co-Pilot might be a good one, saves having a separate Sat-Nav and will give you accurate speed readings too!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Google maps works as a sat nav, it’s pretty good too!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Google maps is the best. So much more than just sat nav, it's uses a lot of data though.

Elbee

Free Member
Mar 8, 2018
Funster No
I've a windows phone, so apps are limited, but you do get free offline maps as part of windows. Park4night seems a great app which you can get on a windows phone.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I've just started to use a weather forecast app called Ventusky which was mentioned by a funster on another thread about a week ago ... you can use it as a web site (eg on a laptop etc) or download it as an app - I've got the Android version so you'll need to check if there is an iPhone version - make sure you get the free version as there's a paid for one too (£2.99 for a year) but we've found that the free one is more the sufficient for our needs an has come in extremely useful whilst we are currently in Spain and trying to avoid all the bad weather!

Ventusky only available on iphone as a paid app have downloaded Weather Radar Forecast, see how it goes

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If you have a directional tv aerial that needs pointing in the right direction AntennaAlign is quite a useful app. If you have a manual satellite dish that needs aiming at the right bit of sky the SatFinder Lite app is good. If you want to check for phone coverage before picking a camp site CoverageMap app works for me.

DNR

Nov 16, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
low Profile
Exp
Since 2016
iPhone apps for:
Terrestrial Freeview antenna direction finding -> AntennaAlign
Satellite TV direction finding-> SatFinder Pro, Dish Align, Sat Scope
Campsite finding -> searchforsites
European emission zones -> Green-Zones
Logging your trips -> TrackMyTour
Identifying mountains and hills around you -> PeakFinder
Cheapest/nearest fuel in UK -> PetrolPrices

Happy app-ing!

Deleted User
The most useful App I have is Dish Align, as you can guess it is for aligning the satellite dish. Even though ours is now the self aligning type, it’s great for helping pick pitches that are not masked by trees in the direction of the satellite we want.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't load anything from Google - my phone memory is almost full because of unwanted Google apps that refuse to be uninstalled. Grrrrhh!!!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
and if you have a 'car play' facility on a double din radio you can mirror what is on the iphone screen so you don't need a separate sat nav. Ditto music, messages and the phone.

Nov 28, 2017
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6 years
Apologies if it has already been mentioned, I use "UK Aerial Alignment". Sometimes a little more accurate than watching the light turn from orange to green on the status amplifier.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
iPhone apps for:
Terrestrial Freeview antenna direction finding -> AntennaAlign
Satellite TV direction finding-> SatFinder Pro, Dish Align, Sat Scope
Campsite finding -> searchforsites
European emission zones -> Green-Zones
Logging your trips -> TrackMyTour
Identifying mountains and hills around you -> PeakFinder
Cheapest/nearest fuel in UK -> PetrolPrices

Happy app-ing!
Just loaded PeakFinder onto my phone. It costs £3.99 but looks good. Thanks for the tip. :)

Appollo51

Free Member
Dec 29, 2018
Porth
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2009
Don't forget the : aroundme app very helpful.also : Search for Sites app very good as well

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back