challenge for scotland trip route (1 Viewer)

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
we are off 24th july to loch ness for a week of nessie hunting ( yes we do believe )with boat, kayaks, quad bike and loads of toys, then planning to spend a week heading up past inverness on the west coast and cross country to the east coast down to visit friends in drunmore for a few nights before heading home , any suggestions for overnight spots on this route by lochs etc , do not really want campsites for the second week .

do not want any narrow lanes as will have box van on the back and not fun to reverse

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Firemore beach campsite in Westerross is super Robin. Right in the beach and £2 per night in a charity box. Well nice and beautiful.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Same at Sheildaig a little further South.

But then there are sooooo many. :)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
we went here in May this year. Found very little wild camping - infact almost no n existant, signs everywhere saying no overnight camping - so dont rely on being able to stop just anywhere! Lovely area though - hope you don't get the midgy season?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
we are off 24th july to loch ness for a week of nessie hunting ( yes we do believe )with boat, kayaks, quad bike and loads of toys, then planning to spend a week heading up past inverness on the west coast and cross country to the east coast down to visit friends in drunmore for a few nights before heading home , any suggestions for overnight spots on this route by lochs etc , do not really want campsites for the second week .

do not want any narrow lanes as will have box van on the back and not fun to reverse

Going Nessie hunting with kayaks????
Tough lot, these Funsters!
Or barmy?
Or tough and barmy?
Enjoy.
John

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
we went here in May this year. Found very little wild camping - infact almost no n existant, signs everywhere saying no overnight camping - so dont rely on being able to stop just anywhere! Lovely area though - hope you don't get the midgy season?

Here we go with the old midge story as i said in other posts conditions have got to be perfect ie no wind near water and trees take ( Avon Skin so soft ) for all you Southern softies ) the worst exp i had was in the new forrest

Bill :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
In the 80's I did a solo charity row from the Irish sea to the North Sea including the full length of Loch Ness. Ive since been back and done it in a big cruiser. I never saw the monster but I thought I did on a couple of occasions when the water was flat calm. Its such a big loch that you might get a motor cruiser passing 2 miles away or even out of sight but the wake on a calm day can go for miles and often when your low down in a boat looks exactly like three or four humps in the water. You see them and the boat is now miles away so it could easily be mistaken for some kind of monster. However thats not to say it aint there for real. Great place but be careful as in a storm the waves can whip up to over 6ft with steep troughs. The Waterways authority that helped organise my row told me the average survival time if I fell in was 9 minutes!

BD

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Can you park on the beach is it a site also is that the beach near poolewe

Bill

Hi Bill. It used to be where they had big gun enplacements. What happened was when they took the guns away they left big concrete basis. This was then used as a wild camping spot right on the beach.
Being Scottish :winky: the locals thought they could make a few pence and came up with a great idea to put an honesty box at the gate. £2 is the fee, although we put a fiver in because it was well worth it.
There are no facilities whatsoever, just glorious sandy beaches, fantastic scenery and wonderful friendly Scottish people in kilts :Eeek: The ground can be a bit soft in winter, but generally fine and dandy. it is near the Poolewe campsite, and there is water and disposal about 5 miles away.

It is a well kept HAGANAP secret this place, I have tried to keep it secret and tell no one but alas a few other funsters know about it, plus of course £12 a year now gets access to some great places.

As for the post about no wild camping in Scotland? you must be looking in the wrong place, we have wildcamped everytime we have been without any hassle whatsoever. You just have to use a bit of imagination with the signs, TAKE YOUR RUBBISH WITH YOU, and not pitch up like your arriving for a 2 week holiday with chairs, awning, and all your kit off.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
see told you he was real, dont panic quad bikes are for getting to shops etc, beaches and drunmore

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back