Free Member
Mar 29, 2010
Porlock, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 months and loving it!
Just returned from a few days exploring Wales and found a lovely quiet car park with toilets at the foot of the dam.
Small sign said no overnight parking but didn't get moved on the first night and chatting to a chap in Elan Visitor Centre, who said motorhomer's often use it as an overnight stop.
Only one cautionary note, the sheep/lambs slept next to & under van which isn't an issue unless you have a large dog, needless to say our Weimaraner moving about rocked us to sleep nicely!

Lorro

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Renault Kangoo
Yes its a big carpak set in beautiful surroundings with a large stream, hills and immaculate toilets. I often cycle to this spot as it is about 10 miles from where I live and is a very beautiful drive from Rhayader. All across Mid Wales there are masses of free parking areas set in stunning scenary and with no restrictions. LC

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Small sign said no overnight parking but didn't get moved on the first night and chatting to a chap in Elan Visitor Centre, who said motorhomer's often use it as an overnight stop.

The problem is that if more and more people decide they can ignore the sign then it will generate complaints and the council will take action. That could well be height restrictions which prevent all access by motorhomes, even during the day.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

titchyboybach

Free Member
Jun 27, 2010
Funster No
just came across this thread and although slightly off topic just wanted to say anyone visiting Elan valley dam please take the time to go to kite feeding station which is just a couple of minutes away :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi tichyboybach and welcome to fun, thanks for the tip as well :welcomefunster:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
been to Claerwen reservior once, by car, to watch my daughter absail down the dam.....lovely area. :thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
just came across this thread and although slightly off topic just wanted to say anyone visiting Elan valley dam please take the time to go to kite feeding station which is just a couple of minutes away

I'll second that. They feed the kites at 3pm BST - Gigrin Farm. The birds are stunning, although half an hour sitting in a windy hide watching them was enough for me.

I never got round to Claerwen when I went to the Elan Valley earlier this year to see the kites - there was a wedding blocking the road at Garreg Ddu, and by the time I travelled up towards Craig Goch instead it was time to head back to Gigrin.

titchyboybach

Free Member
Jun 27, 2010
Funster No
Also if your not in a big motorhome (we were in a vw t4) my fav place is Aberystwyth mountain pass, it's the road that leads from the Elan dams over to Aberystwyth and is absolutely stunning. You'll also go through a place called cwmystwyth (i think thats how its spelt) and thats a nice place with a bit of history i find it has a bit of a ghostly feel about it though ::bigsmile:
Link Removed and forgot to mention on the same road you'll pass the devils bridge! We were going to wild camp in cwmystwyth but my wife was spooked so we ended up staying on a beach in Borth which is just up the road from aberystwyth with plenty of parking right on the seafront (free) :winky:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Yes been here and as you say a strange atmosphere but well worth the visit :thumb:

janeabeth

Free Member
Jan 3, 2011
Funster No
kites

just came across this thread and although slightly off topic just wanted to say anyone visiting Elan valley dam please take the time to go to kite feeding station which is just a couple of minutes away :thumb:
Went yesterday would really recommend it. Stopped over night at a picnic area above

llyn clywedog. awoke to the most spectacular views! there werent any no overnight parking signs.Incidently we had a meal the night before at the Royal Head in Llanidloes and the landlord let us stop in his carpark overnight. Only problem was the church bells striking the hour all night!

lyn clywedog. awoke to the most spectacular views! there werent any no overnight parking signs. incidently we had a meal the night before at the royal head in Llanidloes and the landlord let us stop in his carpark overnight. Only problem was the church bells striking the hour all night!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back