Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Ok, new problem for today.

When I try to start my fridge on the gas, it fires up, stays on for around 5 secs. and then switches off. It then shows a red cross with the words "check" written beneath.

If I switch to electric it is fine, although lately when switching from electric to gas it has started switching off, when it would switch over ok before.

My question is, what should I be checking for?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ok, new problem for today.

When I try to start my fridge on the gas, it fires up, stays on for around 5 secs. and then switches off. It then shows a red cross with the words "check" written beneath.

If I switch to electric it is fine, although lately when switching from electric to gas it has started switching off, when it would switch over ok before.

My question is, what should I be checking for?

Hi

Either the thermocouple is faulty or not in the hottest part of the flame so check that first.

If that's ok then it is more than likely the igniter board is faulty ..

If it is a Dometic or Norcold you can get new generic boards from Dinosaur Electronics http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/
that is where I sourced mine from, about £90 inc tax and shipping

You may have the same igniter board in your water heater, if so then swap them over to prove one way or the other.

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Jim, I think I should post all my questions straight to you. You are always first to answer::bigsmile:

Thermo coupling, is that a thin coil of tube? Are they easy to change over, if so i'll swap them first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, I think I should post all my questions straight to you. You are always first to answer::bigsmile:

Thermo coupling, is that a thin coil of tube? Are they easy to change over, if so i'll swap them first.

yes, straightforward to change over, try Dunc at Starspagledbanner for a spare .. he may also have an igniter board ..

have you looked to see if you have the same board in the water heater ?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi i know this may seem a little obvious but with your generator not starting on gas either do any of the other gas appliances work maybe a faulty regulator.
or maybe a faulty gas level gauge on your tank saying there is gas there but really there isn't
i could be completely wrong or you may have already checked these things but it was a thought.:thumb:

andy

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Andy, The Genny never worked, The fridge was ok until about 2 mths ago, the water heater, heating, cooker all work fine. Thanks for the input though, its all appreciated.
Mike:Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Daft as it sounds, you have made sure the gas is on, tap on tank?

Next up, if the fridge hasn't been run for a week or so keep trying the gas, ie set to LP wait and if the red cross/check comes up switch off wait a second or two then retry. Ours can take several attempts if it hasn't run for a while.

Also, is you 12volt good? You obviously have 12 volt at the fridge else the lights wouldn't be on?

Regulator issues are apossibility but re geni and fridge not working they are fed from separate regulators.

Also, have you checked for leaks, esspecially around the regulator assemble, soapy water and look for bubbles? If it's the standard Winne install, ie no support to the regulator unit they can develop leaks due to the weight of the dual reg setup bouncing around?

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I don't turn the taps off, should I be doing so?

I use Winnie maybe once every two months, so she stands around a fair bit. She also lives outside but i wouldn't have thought that has any affect on the gas.
I'll try to start it a few times tomorrow, I would be happier if it was from lack of use rather than being faulty.

Are the regulators behind those plastic covers?

I really should have done a bit of research before buying :RollEyes:

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Good news for today, I got the fridge working.::bigsmile:

On inspection behind the panel, well it was a mess in there, bits of hay, loads of dust from the burner area. I have cleaned it all out, don't know if it made any difference as it still took several attempts before it would stay on, but I don't care it works.

A big thank you to all who chipped in with the advise :thumb:

Oh, I do have one question though, there is a small pot that is sitting under what looks like a vent pipe, is it supposed to be there?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Oh, I do have one question though, there is a small pot that is sitting under what looks like a vent pipe, is it supposed to be there?

glad it's all sorted :thumb:

the small pot collects water from inside the fridge via the tube, , it then evaporates..

it;s a good idea to make sure it is clean , if not the gutter below the evaporator floods over

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
glad it's all sorted :thumb:

the small pot collects water from inside the fridge via the tube, , it then evaporates..

it;s a good idea to make sure it is clean , if not the gutter below the evaporator floods over

That's the long try under the fins inside the fridge. There is a tube between it and the pot you found outside, and as Jim says make sure it's clear. The end to outside is sort of formed together but under pressure (weight of water) it sould open and let the contents of the internal tray out. Ours had stuck together but a light squeeze on the 'sides' released it.

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Ah! i know what you mean, it does fill up with water, especially when the fridge is switched off. I will check its path is clear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back