new to motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jane

Free Member
Jul 2, 2010
Funster No
hi to everyone on this forum. I am still feeling my way round it and i havent yet got the hang of filing in a profile but anyway my name is Jane. When i was still married we always had a caravan and after divorcing i bought myself a smaller one so im more familar with caravans. Now i am seriosly thinking to make the change to motorhome or camping van since viewing a few at different dealers. I dont know how this site works? when i first signed on to it it said that you hav just started to charge fees to join but i have not paid anything. does this mean there is limits to the use or can i ask more questions?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Jane and a big welcome to fun, I am sure if you are thinking of changeing to a Motorhomes this will be one of the best sites to come on, we also have quite a few solo lady Motorhomers so I am sure they will be along soon to say Hello.

Jim will probbably explain best obout the new system Welcome aboard anyway.:welcomefunster: Carol.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi and welcome

You do not give us a clue as to how old you are or if you have children to consider, however the advice remains the same:- just go and do it or regret later at not having done it.

Just view as many motorhomes as possible before you jump in and let your heart rule your head.

As far as this site goes yes in due course it will cost you £12.00 to become a member but believe me it will be the best investement that you have made, both for the information that you will receive and the freinds that you will make.

Which ever way you jump just enjoy as this is no rehersal Alan and Lynda

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jane

Free Member
Jul 2, 2010
Funster No
Hi Jane and a big welcome to fun, I am sure if you are thinking of changeing to a Motorhomes this will be one of the best sites to come on, we also have quite a few solo lady Motorhomers so I am sure they will be along soon to say Hello.

Jim will probbably explain best obout the new system Welcome aboard anyway.:welcomefunster: Carol.
Thanks carol. Though my caravan is not that big really i have just tired of pulling it round. i was going to say tugging which was what i was always known as but i dont want the men on here to get too excited:Smile: i dont mind driving solo and have driven often long distances.

If i go for a motorhome i like those wich have the bed fixed but if i buy a camper then i realise that is something i wont get. I quite like the hymer motorhomes but campers i have looked at are Ford ones as they have a big number of garages here and in europe. that is a big plus for me as i am not that mechanicaly minded.

OP
OP
J

Jane

Free Member
Jul 2, 2010
Funster No
Hi and welcome

You do not give us a clue as to how old you are or if you have children to consider, however the advice remains the same:- just go and do it or regret later at not having done it.

Just view as many motorhomes as possible before you jump in and let your heart rule your head.

As far as this site goes yes in due course it will cost you £12.00 to become a member but believe me it will be the best investement that you have made, both for the information that you will receive and the freinds that you will make.

Which ever way you jump just enjoy as this is no rehersal Alan and Lynda
Sorry i am 45 years old and tho i hav two children they are both grown up now and have thier own lives. only one son is still at home but he is hoping to move to his own flat soon. I only started thinking about changing last year so only began looking recently at different motorhomes and campers.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
hi to everyone on this forum. I am still feeling my way round it and i havent yet got the hang of filing in a profile but anyway my name is Jane. When i was still married we always had a caravan and after divorcing i bought myself a smaller one so im more familar with caravans. Now i am seriosly thinking to make the change to motorhome or camping van since viewing a few at different dealers. I dont know how this site works? when i first signed on to it it said that you hav just started to charge fees to join but i have not paid anything. does this mean there is limits to the use or can i ask more questions?

Hi Jane, yes you just missed the free ones, but you will be able to make a dozen or so posts before you make your mind up whether its worth the investment.

Don't rush into buying, I read somewhere that almost half of the first motorhome buyers bought and sold again with a year because they didn't get it quite right. Maybe the layout was wrong or they saw something later that suited them better. Your best bet is to get to a show so you can see hundreds of motorhomes over a couple of days and it will soon become apparent what type, size and layout will suit you. Then its easy, you just have to find that style or model at a price you can afford. Best of Luck and welcome to the Fun. :thumb:

OP
OP
J

Jane

Free Member
Jul 2, 2010
Funster No
Hi Jane, yes you just missed the free ones, but you will be able to make a dozen or so posts before you make your mind up whether its worth the investment.

Don't rush into buying, I read somewhere that almost half of the first motorhome buyers bought and sold again with a year because they didn't get it quite right. Maybe the layout was wrong or they saw something later that suited them better. Your best bet is to get to a show so you can see hundreds of motorhomes over a couple of days and it will soon become apparent what type, size and layout will suit you. Then its easy, you just have to find that style or model at a price you can afford. Best of Luck and welcome to the Fun. :thumb:
yes i have to make sure what i get is right first time as i cannot afford to keep changing so am taking my time. at this rate it wont hapen until next year now i think as ive also been told the best time to buy is out of season?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
yes i have to make sure what i get is right first time as i cannot afford to keep changing so am taking my time. at this rate it wont hapen until next year now i think as ive also been told the best time to buy is out of season?

Whilst caravan sales definitely have an on and off season, motorhomes tend not to, (as much) there isn't nearly the amount of winter deals with motorhomes that you get with caravans. Youll find when you get one that motorhomes are very much an all year round recreation which means dealers and private sellers are selling all year. You will get a litle glut of private vans for sale after the summer holidays, but if you are to buy then you really need to get on top of the homework now. best of luck:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Jane, to live your dream, first, you have to wake up!

all the best for the future!

Rangitira

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Jane, take your time looking around I see you quite like the Hymers just to give you a idea ours is a Hymer 584 it has a fully made up drop down bed and a three quater bed that you have to make up if needed but the drop down bed is so comfy, it comes in at just 6 meters so not to big and reasonable on ferrys. It has quite seperate shower and good size bathroom you should pick a 2000 model up for about £19/20 k just to give you a ideas of what is out there. Good Luck. Carol.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi and welcome. You will get lots of help here. We bought our first van just over 2 years ago and did a lot of research. Our budget was £25K but we bought quite a bit less than that as we wanted extras such as Satellite TV, motorbike and rack, refilable Gas tanks (Gaslow) and a 3 month trip across Europe. They come in all shapes and sizes and costs. My friend bought his first van 15 years ago. A classic VW camper. We did 17 scottish islands and many "boys" trips in it. He payed £1500 for it originally although its had a bit of work. He still has it and loves it. You can of course pay up to and beyond £100K but the end result is the same. Hopefully some fantastic memories and adventures. If you can get across to France and the rest of Europe having a MH is a big advantage to a caravan as there are so many places to stay for motorhomes that are free. Decide on your budget, keep some aside for extras and then see as many as possible until you narrow it down to a few layouts that you prefer. Layout is everything as you will hopefully have it for a while. IF you want to use it in winter you need to make sure its winterised so internal water tanks and pipes are a good idea. Take your time and definately pay the £12 as the advice and help (and FUN) is worth so much more.

Good luck
Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back