Clean Clothes (1 Viewer)

luddingtonhall

Free Member
Jun 30, 2010
Funster No
I'm thinking about fulltiming and one thing has me wondering as I've not seen any threads on this. How do you all get your clothes clean? Launderette's? Hand washing? Not bother?:ROFLMAO:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I used a launderette when not near a friends house, and by hand when abroad!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Are you getting an RV or a Eurobox??

The A class RVs have washing machines, but ive seen some really small portable washing machines for sale as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
You can get a nice plastic washing line from Morrisons and tie it to a couple of trees, get your pegs out and off you go.
Ivy

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Turn them inside out once a month.. :ROFLMAO:

If you are campsite full timing most have launderettes,, if not a lot of towns do or buy a small portable one.. :thumb:

We bought one of e.bay that works of mains,, dont hold much but works ok. :thumb:

OP
OP
L

luddingtonhall

Free Member
Jun 30, 2010
Funster No
Brilliant, thanks everyone! Just wondered how it was done.

Dazzer, I'm currently torn between an A class or a fifth wheel. Just got to go look at some for layout ideas to help narrow it down, whilst I try to cover as many practicalities as possible.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have full timing friends who when they visit us never pass up a chance to use the washing machine. Of course they refuse the offer at first, then when you insist they say "Oh go on then" and then produce two full bin liners of dirty clobber::bigsmile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
there are some portable sort of hand type washing machines available on ebay

but personally find a laundrette xxxxxx many sites have them

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have full timing friends who when they visit us never pass up a chance to use the washing machine. Of course they refuse the offer at first, then when you insist they say "Oh go on then" and then produce two full bin liners of dirty clobber::bigsmile:

Never did!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though! In UK and Europe we use launderettes or sites with washers. In time you get to know the places that are good for doing your washing!:Smile:

I don't hand wash at all due to arthritic hands so make sure we have enough clothes for at least 2 weeks - then we know we need a site with a washing machine and tumble dryer if weather a bit iffy!

The longest we have lasted was 3 weeks - that was a marathon of a day washing!!!

In Europe you can usually hang a washing line between trees - not so easy in UK!

Once you get in to it it's quite easy!:Smile:

I suppose now I'm going to get a load of flak about the amount of clothing I've got in our van!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If anyone wants to know campsites with good laundry facilities just ask!:ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Brilliant, thanks everyone! Just wondered how it was done.

Dazzer, I'm currently torn between an A class or a fifth wheel. Just got to go look at some for layout ideas to help narrow it down, whilst I try to cover as many practicalities as possible.

Go for the 5er every time, bigger, cheaper, more home comforts (like actually going upstairs to bed!!!) and you get to buy a bloody bert big American pickup to pose in and drive around in when not draggin the 5er around. Its worth getting one just for that!!!:ROFLMAO:

Its a no brainer for me the 5er would win hand down every time if I were going full time :thumb:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
there are some portable sort of hand type washing machines available on ebay

but personally find a laundrette xxxxxx many sites have them

People I know who use one of these portable machines or do hand washing end up doing washing every day :Doh:

Using a launderette or campsite washer means you do it every 2 weeks!:thumb:

Far too busy having FUN to wash every day!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
L

luddingtonhall

Free Member
Jun 30, 2010
Funster No
Go for the 5er every time, bigger, cheaper, more home comforts (like actually going upstairs to bed!!!) and you get to buy a bloody bert big American pickup to pose in and drive around in when not draggin the 5er around. Its worth getting one just for that!!!:ROFLMAO:

Its a no brainer for me the 5er would win hand down every time if I were going full time :thumb:

I am leaning that way.... all my research seems to be aiming more and more for the 5er. I've seen more of them with layouts I like, plus I much prefer a proper sofa to one of those daybed things you seem to get in MH's! and as you say, a pickup! wooohooo!::bigsmile:

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm glad someone asked the 'washing clothes' question before I had to, we are getting closer to our 'off' date-just waiting for the house sale completion.
I ccould see that if I had a washing machine it would prob be used more than is neccessary, sdo I'm going the route:
'if you can get another day/2 out of it wear it otherwise hand wash or wait for a laundrette'.
I wonder about a bucket with a tight fitting lid, water,soap, clothes then leave for a journey from A to B and see what you get!!!! We are going to tow an enclosed trailer for the scooter and the things we just can't do without and to keep the laden weight down on the van. The thing that worries me also about a washing machine is the weight, how much do they weigh???:thumb:
PS Yes I have paid my subs-it's either that or we loose the Forum!

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Manda

We have one of the little twin tubs, bought off EBay, and it is a fabulous bit of kit. The spin dryer is superb and to be honest it was the feature we wanted the most. But the washer side is equally good.

The machine weighs 11kg empty, works fine off a 300w inverter and if you wash, spin the clothes and return the soapy water to the washer and carry on washing until you are ready to clean rinse, then it is very good on water usage.

The spinner leaves the clothes almost dry.

Would not be without it now after initially thinking that those who had one were a bit flash!

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I have to say that the answers to this post suprise me a little. reading through the site everyday you could be excused for thinking the funsters are much more interested in space for wine than space for a washing machine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Manda

We have one of the little twin tubs, bought off EBay, and it is a fabulous bit of kit. The spin dryer is superb and to be honest it was the feature we wanted the most. But the washer side is equally good.

The machine weighs 11kg empty, works fine off a 300w inverter and if you wash, spin the clothes and return the soapy water to the washer and carry on washing until you are ready to clean rinse, then it is very good on water usage.

Would not be without it now after initially thinking that those who had one were a bit flash!

couldnt of put it better, i agree i would rather have the small twintub and be able to do what i want when i want and know that the clothes will be dry in roughly an hour if hung out or in the morning if hung in the van overnight, beats paying launderette charges for me as im still old fashioned and like to do whites, coloureds, towels, sheets etc all seperately, and hand washing means they take all day to dry and thats if it doesnt rain

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Manda

Hi, could you tell us the make please as we may be interested in getting one. ::bigsmile:

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, could you tell us the make please as we may be interested in getting one. ::bigsmile:

Pyramid on mine but it is a generic Chinese made machine which has numerous brand names.

Put 'Portable Washing Machine' into EBay and you will see a load of them for around £65 delivered.

Cracking bit of kit which doubles up as a dirty washing bin until you are ready to wash!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I am leaning that way.... all my research seems to be aiming more and more for the 5er. I've seen more of them with layouts I like, plus I much prefer a proper sofa to one of those daybed things you seem to get in MH's! and as you say, a pickup! wooohooo!::bigsmile:

Id say it depends on how often you are going to be upping sticks and moving, RVs are designed to be moved on a fairly regular basis (flat batteries, seized brakes etc etc), where as 5ers are designed to be parked up for long periods and moved less. Also no worries about road tax, MOTs etc on a 5er, you also get a usable tow vehicle (it sounds like your in the construction industry so a pickup is totally tax deductable ::bigsmile:) which can be driven around, with an RV you really need a toad which again doubles your costs and worries.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Can you lot shut up about these, if my wife sees this it'll set her off again:Doh:

Then I'll have something else to find a home for:Doh::Doh::Doh:

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can you lot shut up about these, if my wife sees this it'll set her off again:Doh:

Then I'll have something else to find a home for:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Did I mention our new portable Tumble Dryer perchance?:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Did I mention our new portable Tumble Dryer perchance?:Smile:

hehehe:ROFLMAO:
on a serious note have you got one of those tabletop dryers? and if so are they worth it cos yes i have also thought about getting one

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
hehehe:ROFLMAO:
on a serious note have you got one of those tabletop dryers? and if so are they worth it cos yes i have also thought about getting one

No. I thought having a washing machine was a bit flash.

Having a tumble dryer would be 'as flash as a rat with a gold tooth':Cool:

OP
OP
L

luddingtonhall

Free Member
Jun 30, 2010
Funster No
Gosh - I wasn't expecting a post about washing to get such a large response. I have added the washing machine to my 'to get' list....

Id say it depends on how often you are going to be upping sticks and moving, RVs are designed to be moved on a fairly regular basis (flat batteries, seized brakes etc etc), where as 5ers are designed to be parked up for long periods and moved less. Also no worries about road tax, MOTs etc on a 5er, you also get a usable tow vehicle (it sounds like your in the construction industry so a pickup is totally tax deductable ::bigsmile:) which can be driven around, with an RV you really need a toad which again doubles your costs and worries.

I will be at a job for 3-8 months at a time, so it won't be moved often, probably once a month to comply with the 28day rule I doscovered on here.... the truck and toad have also been fairly deciding factors, I do need a vehicle (with engine!) as I can work odd hours with shifts plus most of the sites I work at are out of town off the public transport routes. The 5er is getting more solid every day. Unless I see a perfect MH :)Rofl1::bigsmile:o they exist?) then it will be a 5er.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
A bucket with a lid is also pretty good, this method has been used since my husbands children were little, both the girls have used it for their own kids whilst camping too BUT it does need 2 of you with very strong wrists to do the wringing out!!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Best washing machine I ever had was the cheapest.
An old plastic beer making bucket with a large screw on lid,holds about 10 gallons.
Put your washing in with a little soapy water...fasten tightly on bike rack when traveling...when you stop just rinse out with clean water and dry.
The motion of the camper bouncing up and down works a treat.Always fit it at the rearmost part of camper,to gain the most up and down movement.
I also find Daz works the best in this machine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back