Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
On a bit of a posting frenzy......:Eeek:

Quad bikes, what do they weigh, different types etc. Presumably Quads can be driven on a standard car licence?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Quad bikes, what do they weigh, different types etc. Presumably Quads can be driven on a standard car licence?

Car licence, no helmet.

In France and Germany we noticed hundreds of the things, all wearing helmets. Beaten only by the thousands of blat blat blat Harleys.

Weight from >--< to >------------------<. I saw one with six driven wheels once, which would make it a Hex I suppose. Ray, Desert Detours, had a huge Kawasaki about the size of a Mini. The popular ones all look much smaller.

They look FUN but they can bite.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Great fun off road but a bloody death trap on it.

Very easy to turn over and most are not fitted with road tyres which is a bit of an issue in the wet on tarmac :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago

Depends on make/size etc

Road Legal Quads require standard car licence. They are also taxed at PLG which is a ripoff.

We have 2 x Quadzilla CVT150 e 108

Ant & Debs

Attachments

• quad1.jpg
    quad1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 18

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
........"Ray, Desert Detours, had a huge Kawasaki about the size of a Mini"...........

Yes, Hilldweller we still have the HUGE Kawazaki, and still take it on most tours.........We "overkill" on the size because we need distance and carrying capability, for the overnight cdesert camp and the huge power-suck sand has.........

But like it has been said....they can bite.......and bite real hard. My broken wrist is neally fixed :cry:.....

Whatever the rules only a total fool would ride one without a helmet at the very least. Look on the various web sites to read the horror stories.

The range of vehicles is massive [stay clear of the Chineese rubbish] so again, check out the web sites.

BUT whatever you do look at running costs......mine does around 10-12 mph per gallon, lower in 4x4 and heavy off-road. Tire scrub is high and they are expensive, and often directional etc.

Insurance can be an issue.........

BUT, BUT........they are a whole lot of fun.........I am off into the hills as soon as I can get away from this desk :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But like it has been said....they can bite.......and bite real hard.

BUT, BUT........they are a whole lot of fun.........I am off into the hills as soon as I can get away from this desk :thumb:

Can get a bit frisky :roflmto:

You do HUGE very well as can be seen by your other quad.

Happy memories.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 11
  • q2.jpg
    q2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 14
  • q3.jpg
    q3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 15
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 14

Obelix67

Free Member
Aug 31, 2009
Switzerland
Funster No
Exp
I got an L reg VW in 1983
tyres ? quads on tracks are becoming more commonplace each winter in the alps.

with tracks speed drops, fuel consumption increases, floatation increases, horses for courses, all vehicles are dangerous to the inexperienced and in the event of unusual circumstances

Attachments

• 13022010192.jpg
    13022010192.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 14

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back