Who insures for unattended m'home abroad? (1 Viewer)

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
On renewing my motorhome insurance I asked if I was covered for leaving motorhome either on campsite or in secure storage if during winter stay in S. Spain I flew home for a week to 2 weeks. Comfort my existing insurer have 48 hr clause in policy that you must contact to pay extra for doing so. Leaving a van unattended requires a form to be submitted with details of secure storage and it is not guaranteed that it will be accepted. They are happy to insure for locked storage in UK but say they discourage abroad as the majority of past claims have been for problems associated with storage abroad, and they quoted about £50 a week if form accepted.

Out of curiosity I phoned C&CC, Adrian Flux, AIB and BeWiser to pose same question and ALL of them said not covered at all for this scenario abroad and could only do for UK.

Does anybody now an insurer who covers this?

Feb 4, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
I have been asking the same question to many insurance company’s and have had the same answer from all NO so how do people manage ?..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Maybe many are unaware that they are not covered.

Would the storage facility have insurance (I am guessing not) ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Insurers only insure risks they are happy with. They know in the Uk which storage facilities they are happy with and have data they can use to calculate the risk. You have been offered insurance @ £50 a week on a site that they are happy with. If your vehicle goes missing or is badly damaged then they will pay out maybe thousands to have it repaired.

You could of course just leave it and hope that it’s ok

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Insurers only insure risks they are happy with. They know in the Uk which storage facilities they are happy with and have data they can use to calculate the risk. You have been offered insurance @ £50 a week on a site that they are happy with. If your vehicle goes missing or is badly damaged then they will pay out maybe thousands to have it repaired.

You could of course just leave it and hope that it’s ok

most insurers are multinational so the data for storage facilities abroad would be available to access the risk I think its more about insurers only wanting mainstream customers who they can insure using whats on their screens

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I had the same problem trying to insure for unattended parking outside UK (or for more than 48 hours in UK). I've come to the conclusion that it's a risk I'll have to take if I want to do so. But it would be interesting to know if anyone here has had their motorhome stolen (first-hand experience only please) and if so what sort of place was it parked, and how long had it been there?

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
Quiet surprise to read about these problems with insurance, especially if it also applies to the UK & car insurance.
I wonder how many millions of people leave their cars parked for more than 48 hours in car parks, friends drives or at airports whilst away, are all these vehicles not insured?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's always a moot point about valid insurance when your van is with a dealer/garage etc for longer than a day or two. Some vans spend weeks away getting fixed. Even given the dealers/garage insurance and their responsibility.. I expect many motorhomes away from home like this are effectively uninsured.

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
Interesting point.

My policy states :
The cover you have under this policy applies to you when your vehicle is in the hands of a motor trader carrying on a business from a motor trade outlet or premises for service, overhaul or repair.

So whilst in sunny Spain if my vehicle requires a service or repair........................

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
After a *very* long email excahnge with my insurers, within which I pointed out the shortcomings in their policy woding, I finally had the following message:

"I have now had a lengthy discussion with the underwriter ...... and he has agreed that the wording is somewhat ambiguous in relation to leaving your vehicle unattended in the UK. He has suggested that we update our wording to stipulate any vehicle left unattended for more than 7 days will need to be reported and clearly state that any vehicle being left unattended in the EU will also need to be reported.

In short, you do not need to notify us when leaving your vehicle unattended in the UK unless there is a permanent change in storage. Please accept my apologies for the protracted response but please rest assured we have your best interests in mind.
"

So it was worth perserving with this, I now have it in writing that I'm covered under these circumstances.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
He has suggested that we update our wording to stipulate any vehicle left unattended for more than 7 days will need to be reported and clearly state that any vehicle being left unattended in the EU will also need to be reported.

So if you leave it unattended for more than 7 days in the Uk you need to tell them and I presume they will want to charge you or If you leave it unattended in the EU you have to report it straight away.

The short answer does not make sense.

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
So if you leave it unattended for more than 7 days in the Uk you need to tell them and I presume they will want to charge you or If you leave it unattended in the EU you have to report it straight away.

The short answer does not make sense.
Maybe you're right about being left unattended outside the UK - I will ask for clarification on that. But for leaving the van in the UK, before our email exchange they had told me that it could be left unattended for up to 48 hours in a 'secure place'. When I asked, they couldn't actually define what a secure place was.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Items have been stolen from cassa gold sites, so that's not 100%.
UK insurers are very difficult. Sometimes their policies are not clear, and when you question it to be on the safe side, they don't know. I had a question that my policy, it covers me 3rd party on a car lent to me in an emergency.
I asked what do they call an emergency? How long can I drive car for?
Either I'm covered or I'm not. They (comfort) couldn't give me an exact answer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back