Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I have a 91/92 winniebago brave, I have most manuals for the appliances, but not one for it self, like what switches do what etc.

I have three switches on the left side of the dash, top one is for the radio to switch over to aux battery from main.
The second one says mom on one side and dual on the other, not sure what tis does?
The third switches on/off the aux batteries.

Can anyone explain exactly what they all do, or in what situation they need to be used?

When hooking up to a site supply, I always seem to trip either their supply or mine, put it on a second time and it seems fine, what could be the cause of this?

I have a load more questions to come but i'll start with these:RollEyes:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun

cant answer your questions but certainly with the switches one, if you post a photo someone might recognise the set up and help you xxxx

good luck

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Cheer's OCBT I will do that tomorrow, I keep her at work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
I have a 91/92 winniebago brave, I have most manuals for the appliances, but not one for it self, like what switches do what etc.

I have three switches on the left side of the dash, top one is for the radio to switch over to aux battery from main.
The second one says mom on one side and dual on the other, not sure what tis does?

Can anyone explain exactly what they all do, or in what situation they need to be used?

When hooking up to a site supply, I always seem to trip either their supply or mine, put it on a second time and it seems fine, what could be the cause of this?

I have a load more questions to come but i'll start with these:RollEyes:

I would ask the question at a sister site of this for RV's.

http://www.rvoc.co.uk/

I can't tell you about the buttons but I can about the tripping. RV's are power hungary beasts and will often trip a site leccy because they are often supplying less amps then the RV wants. This is very common on the continent.
I have learned through experience on poor leccy supplies to switch everything off before connecting the land line, and then gradually switch on what I need. During peak times of the day e.g. dinner you are more likely to trip the leccy because everybody is drawing on the mains of the site.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not so stupid question?

Hi

Don`t put yourself down we`ve ALL been there!!!!

Switches:- Try this and search for your Model? ( Link Removed )

Tripping the site Supply:- More than likely you have a transformer to reduce the 240V to 110? if so, there is a known electrical effect which allows that most transformers will take a brief "surge" on first switch on enough to trip the supply, especially if there is a big load on as well. On some sites I have to switch everything off, then boot up the site supply, and then put everything back on, one item at the time.

I also know from bitter experience that if you have even the SMALLEST earth leakage, some site trips will drop out and not reset (mine was on the geny; and the only way to "defeat" it was to fit a DUAL pole isolator to switch the genny out when on "shore supply")
That is BOTH Live AND Neutral Phases.

Best of Luck

Pete

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi the mom and dual is for using all of the batteries to start in the case of low starter batteries from memory.

The tripping is caused by the rated speed of the RCCD being faster than the transformer can cope with. We supply a wire in wire out solution to this problem which is in effect a soft start relay which eliminates this often annoying, always inconvenient problem.

Hope this helps

Eddie

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Don`t put yourself down we`ve ALL been there!!!!

Switches:- Try this and search for your Model? ( Link Removed )

Tripping the site Supply:- More than likely you have a transformer to reduce the 240V to 110? if so, there is a known electrical effect which allows that most transformers will take a brief "surge" on first switch on enough to trip the supply, especially if there is a big load on as well. On some sites I have to switch everything off, then boot up the site supply, and then put everything back on, one item at the time.

I also know from bitter experience that if you have even the SMALLEST earth leakage, some site trips will drop out and not reset (mine was on the geny; and the only way to "defeat" it was to fit a DUAL pole isolator to switch the genny out when on "shore supply")
That is BOTH Live AND Neutral Phases.

Best of Luck

Pete

Thanks Pete, I will try switching everything off next time I'm out.

I had a look at that site, very useful, sadly they don't do my model (WCF23RC) too old? to short? The van, not me....well maybe me!

Moosehead

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
6months

Top switch allows radio to run off leisure batterys - and effectively mains when on hook up as the leisure batts are being charged. We have a cd unit with aux in plug which we use as surround sound for the tv as we have speakers in the dining/sofa area.

The second switch allows you to connect the leisure batts to the engine batt momentarily - Only to be used for 'jump' starting if you have run the engine batt flat.

Third switch turns off the leisure batts - for use when in storage to stop discharge over time. Note: If you ever find that you have no interior lamps, water pump etc, check this switch is in the on position before you start searching for blown fuses, dodgy wires like somebody did:Blush:

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Moosehead, the mom/dual switch, what's happening when in the dual position?

Also do I have to have the Aux Batteries on when plugged into a hook up?

Moosehead

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
6months
Err dunno. Mine is just marked 'MOM' and is a sprung switch that returns to the blank side. Does your switch have more than 2 positions then?

I leave my Aux batteries switched on all the time. I'm guessing that turning them off when on hook up will mean they will not be getting charged.

Be quick with any more questions:winky: - I'm off to Cornwall in an hour or so, won't have pc with me. Back on Monday night

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back