Three 100gb data, Unlimited calls & texts for £20 pcm (1 Viewer)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Can't see anyone else offering 100gb a month on there, Virgin £20 for 60gb, EE £25 for 30gb.

Quoted in the carphone warehouse shop in town. And I’m going to put a rider on that.
I’m ‘almost’ sure that what was quoted:).
But I will bow to your investigational powers.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Quoted in the carphone warehouse shop in town. And I’m going to put a rider on that.
I’m ‘almost’ sure that what was quoted:).
But I will bow to your investigational powers.

Sales staff don’t always have to stick to quoted prices.

It’s entirely possible and likely that the shop staff did quote you that deal whether either network officially offer it or not. They tend to have loads of leeway especially if trying to price match. The retail prices quoted by the networks don’t mean very much.

Carphone Warehouse will do anything to get one over on Hutchison since their spectacular fall out a couple of years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Do all 3 Sims get throttled back from 4g to 3g when using data abroad?

We've got the 12gb, 12-month payg data sim from 3, and that certainly is.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Go Binge work with Go Roam?

Yes. You can Go Binge in up to 71 destinations across the world with Go Roam. However, in Go Roam in Europe destinations Go Binge use will count towards your 12GB fair use roaming limit, although in Go Roam around the World destinations Go Binge doesn't count towards your 13GB fair use roaming limit, but data usage may be blocked when you reach the 13GB fair use roaming limit.

..so data usage may be blocked....

It is as clearas mud!
Is it too good to be true? In our experince , Yes.
You could always pay £5 a day (£ 150a month ) and have no worries about it with their Data Passport.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Go Binge work with Go Roam?

Yes. You can Go Binge in up to 71 destinations across the world with Go Roam. However, in Go Roam in Europe destinations Go Binge use will count towards your 12GB fair use roaming limit, although in Go Roam around the World destinations Go Binge doesn't count towards your 13GB fair use roaming limit, but data usage may be blocked when you reach the 13GB fair use roaming limit.

..so data usage may be blocked....

It is as clearas mud!
Is it too good to be true? In our experince , Yes.
That's from April 2018 so out of date now, it's not a Three website but an independent one and hasn't been updated since then.

https://3g.co.uk/guides/three-go-binge

This is Three's info:

Go Binge
Go Binge is available on selected services which may require separate subscriptions. Selected new plans. Must have regular data available in plan. Additional content, such as adverts may use regular data. Some apps and services may link through to third party content on other sites, which are not zero rated (eg, whilst Snapchat’s Discover page is zero rated, 3rd party content accessible from it, is not). Includes Dave and History only via TV Player. Go Binge is available to new customers and upgrading customers on Contract Voice Advanced plans and SIM Only Advanced plans of 12GB and above, Pay Monthly Broadband customers of 15GB and above and Simply Business customers of 10GB and above.​

I specifically asked about Go Binge in Europe when we took out the contract yesterday and there was no hesitation it their response that it could be used in Europe without restriction, so long as you have some of your Europe data allowance left, ie you haven't already used up your 15gb pcm. They shop staff had checked it out in the last few days as they'd had quite a few questions about it themselves so had this info direct from Three.

You could always pay £5 a day (£ 150a month ) and have no worries about it with their Data Passport.
The stopped you needing to do that in March 2018.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had a live chat with Three and they said I couldn’t use the phone sim with this deal in a MIFI.
I may ring and say I want to cancel and see what I get offered.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Sales staff don’t always have to stick to quoted prices.

It’s entirely possible and likely that the shop staff did quote you that deal whether either network officially offer it or not. They tend to have loads of leeway especially if trying to price match. The retail prices quoted by the networks don’t mean very much.

Carphone Warehouse will do anything to get one over on Hutchison since their spectacular fall out a couple of years ago.

Nic nic
Yes, I almost certain I’m correct, but I will go back into town sometime and check.
My contract runs out in December, and as I’m more than happy with the phones (S7)
so I will go down the sim only route. Thereses’ contract also ends in December so two sims on different providers will give us at least 120gb even if I’m mistaken.
Also spoke to Nick at vanbitz and he suggested an amazon fire stick and use that for the telly, if there is a weak signal through the status aerial
(I will use two separate companies because I’ve got non start on the van and Sod’s law will dictate the only time there is no signal it will be on our two phones:))

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
So, just to clarify. If I get this Three contract, I can put the sim in my phone and tether to my laptop or tablet and get 100Gb of data every month, then I can get rid of my landline as well. @Minxy Girl
That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for asking the question. (y)

We've had quite a bit of stuff over the years from GearBest without any problems.
I made my first purchase almost 2 x weeks ago, a CUBOT X18 Plus 4G Phablet which was paid for up front. I have only just been informed that it is currently out of stock. :mad: Not a good experience for me so far from GearBest. :(

Thanks for all your time and efforts Mel. They are always much appreciated. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
My Grandaughter has this SIM and has had it for about 8 months. It was only when I was looking at the bill (I pay it) that I noticed she has been using go binge. She watch's tv on her phone.

My Son still has unlimited everything for £18 a month.

I'm on 12gig 600 mins and unlimited texts for £9.

I've been very pleased with three.

Sonja

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do all 3 Sims get throttled back from 4g to 3g when using data abroad?

There’s no such thing as throttling and there never has been. It’s a complete myth.

Host networks prioritise access to different levels of customer but that’s not throttling and it isn’t an “abroad” thing, UK networks do it as well.

Deleted User
There’s no such thing as throttling and there never has been. It’s a complete myth.

Host networks prioritise access to different levels of customer but that’s not throttling and it isn’t an “abroad” thing, UK networks do it as well.
Call it throttling, call it what you like, the effect is the same, slow speeds.

'3' apparently have agreements with roaming networks to only allow 3G, to be perfectly honest a good 3G connection is perfectly adequate for most needs, including streaming TV.

Prior to June 2017 when regulations changed, speeds on '3' when roaming were very poor, after then very good usually, obviously depending on signal

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009

So is it just coincidence that we always get 4g data service in the UK, but 3g in Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Balearics, Canaries and mainland Spain?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So is it just coincidence that we always get 4g data service in the UK, but 3g in Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Balearics, Canaries and mainland Spain?

The throttling myth is about networks deliberately controlling available speeds. Controlling access to 3G or 4G bandwidth is not the same thing and doesn’t necessarily have any impact on speed.

Give me a 3G network with a lot of available bandwidth over a clogged up 4G one any day.

@matamoros has posted above about Hutchison apparently having agreements for this to happen. I don’t use anything from that company any more so I’ll take his word for it.

I always get 4G on my phone apart from in parts of Germany but that’s because the whole concept of mobile networks is 5 years behind everyone else there.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The throttling myth is about networks deliberately controlling available speeds. Controlling access to 3G or 4G bandwidth is not the same thing and doesn’t necessarily have any impact on speed.

Give me a 3G network with a lot of available bandwidth over a clogged up 4G one any day.

@matamoros has posted above about Hutchison apparently having agreements for this to happen. I don’t use anything from that company any more so I’ll take his word for it.

I always get 4G on my phone apart from in parts of Germany but that’s because the whole concept of mobile networks is 5 years behind everyone else there.
So it sounds as though you have your own preferences.

But it doesn't answer the question whether a UK-purchased '3' 4G contact or sim will always only offer 3G data service when abroad?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So it sounds as though you have your own preferences.

But it doesn't answer the question whether a UK-purchased '3' 4G contact or sim will always only offer 3G data service when abroad?

Mat has answered that already.

If he’s correct and Hutchison have made that arrangement with their roaming partners then the answer is yes. That isn’t “throttling” by any definition of the term I’ve ever heard though.

Perhaps you don’t understand how mobile networks operate but a quiet 3G network will ALWAYS be faster at the connected device than a busy 4G one. 4G does not, and never has, automatically mean faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Minxy Girl you are right about the website i used being not the three site. Sorry!

However i have studied the site and the way i read it is that in Europe Go Binge becomes subject to the Go Roam terms and conditions.

This is from the official three site
http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...ternetapps,varset_subcat=3583,Case=obj(41678)

Using Go Binge abroad.

You can use your data abroad to Go Binge with Go Roam, but it’s worth remembering that you have different data usage restrictions depending on where you’re going. Check out more details on Go Roam.

Then you follow the link and there is no mention at all of Go Binge.

We were told the same as you when we took out our contract. We went over the limit, got charged and after complainig got our money back and the contract was moved to a monthly one by way of an apology.

It could all have changed in the last few months but honestly? In Europe is £20 a month for all that TV , streaming all kinds of stuff , surfing. etc etc too good to be true?

I think so. But would be very happy to be wrong as we will certainly buy it if it turns out to be true

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I had a live chat with Three and they said I couldn’t use the phone sim with this deal in a MIFI.
I may ring and say I want to cancel and see what I get offered.
They haven't a clue what they can and can't be done ... seriously, they haven't ... they removed the 'not in a mifi' restriction back in March - have a read of the below.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
However i have studied the site and the way i read it is that in Europe Go Binge becomes subject to the Go Roam terms and conditions.
There's a bit of confusion going on I think, Go Binge IS subject to the Go Roam terms as you need to have some Go Roam European data allowance left to use Go Binge but Go Binge itself hasn't got any limits on how much you can use from what I can tell.

So, if you have a monthly 100gb contract, you can only use 15gb of data pcm in Europe (it used to be 12gb then upped to 13gb and finally 15gb), however in order to use Go Binge in Europe you MUST still have some of your European data allowance left - basically if you use up your 15gb then you cannot use Go Binge for the remainder of the data month.

I assume part of the reason is that although Go Binge itself doesn't come off your data allowance if you access stuff from Go Binge providers, eg click on links on their sites, it may not be included in Go Binge so would need to use your data allowance ... which it can't do if you've used it all.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
They haven't a clue what they can and can't be done ... seriously, they haven't ... they removed the 'not in a mifi' restriction back in March - have a read of the below.

Broken Link Removed

Thanks for that, so is putting the sim in a MIFI classes as tethering.
At the moment I pay £13 for 20gb but would like more but still want to use the MIFI, due to multi device connection.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My only contribution is that last year I bought a 40gb/mth deal from Three for £14/mth with free mifi (thanks for the heads up @ianthebuilder ) and it's done exactly what it said on the tin... here in the UK, Iceland, Greece & Australia.
I've not noticed any throttling nor 3g limiting. I have not got close to using the 40gb, and only got close to the 12gb overseas limit in Greece but that was 10 days with four of us using the connection.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for all the info and effort Mel. I have just ordered a slightly different deal at 30g a month, for £17, which is more than enough G's for me.

https://store.three.co.uk/view/content/mbasket

I currently pay £20 A month for 2g of data!!

I just looked, couldn’t find that offer but found a 40gb for £16 but it’s 24 month contract.
9EFA1ABC-E278-49DC-9763-C93EA587F83C.png

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I just looked, couldn’t find that offer but found a 40gb for £16 but it’s 24 month contract.
View attachment 261001
The one Amy is referring to is a phone sim which I've put details of above, not a data only sim which you've found.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
My only contribution is that last year I bought a 40gb/mth deal from Three for £14/mth with free mifi (thanks for the heads up @ianthebuilder ) and it's done exactly what it said on the tin... here in the UK, Iceland, Greece & Australia.
I've not noticed any throttling nor 3g limiting. I have not got close to using the 40gb, and only got close to the 12gb overseas limit in Greece but that was 10 days with four of us using the connection.

I’m impressed with the coverage you got lad!!
Brilliant to know!! Xx

Mar 3, 2010
Southwell, Notts
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Impressive amount of research into mobile data Minxy Girl, but slightly confusing for the reader.
The purchase of new phones is a 'nice to have' (or maybe needed for 4G), but not related to the economics of your data contracts.
Essentially you are swapping 2 x £7.50 phone sim + £20.52 data - total £426 p.a. for new £20 p.m. contract + £2.50 PAYG - total £270 p.a.
So, a good saving, and increased data allowance to 100 Gb per month. Brill.
But, your own phone will need data if you want WhatsApp, Google Maps, weather, BBC news, Music, etc......?
And what are you going to do with all that data? It would serve a small village! It's about 100 hours of streamed video (one of the most data-intensive activities), or three-and-half hours a day. I know we have some wet days, but I don't think we could use that much even if we could get a good enough signal.
For comparison we have phones with £8.50 pm sim cards with 1 Gb of data, which is enough for casual browsing, sending photos, maps, etc. and a mobile dongle (Huawei) which provides wi-fi for 2 phones, a laptop, and two iPads. We buy a 12 Gb data sim from Three, which has a 12 month expiry and costs £27, which we use for multiple trips at home and in Europe and we usually have data left when it expires. Total cost £231 p.a.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm a bit of a novice to the subject, as I tend to rely on the 12Gb/12xMonth data sim cards from Three, however, looking at your figures @newtonz, if I/we were smart phone users , Id' be more than happy to pay the £39 difference per annum, between your £231, and Mel's £270, knowing that we'd be able to stream films, TV, music, and other items including updates for the laptop, etc, etc. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Impressive amount of research into mobile data Minxy Girl, but slightly confusing for the reader.
Not sure why you say that, I mentioned everything about our set-up originally.

The purchase of new phones is a 'nice to have' (or maybe needed for 4G), but not related to the economics of your data contracts.
Essentially you are swapping 2 x £7.50 phone sim + £20.52 data - total £426 p.a. for new £20 p.m. contract + £2.50 PAYG - total £270 p.a.
So, a good saving, and increased data allowance to 100 Gb per month. Brill.
It actually IS related to the economics of our whole set-up though as our existing £7.50 each pcm phone contracts a month each included the purchase of a phone within the cost, BUT it had to be over 2 years, the new contract is 1 year and we're buying MUCH better phones than we could get on contract, even for 2 years unless we paid a lot more per month. If we had simply wanted to go with 2 basic phone contracts, including phones, we could have, and also gone for another data contract but over the same period of time (2 years) it works out better for us to do what we're doing including buying 2 new phones.

But, your own phone will need data if you want WhatsApp, Google Maps, weather, BBC news, Music, etc......?
I checked out hubby and my past usage for calls/texts/data before we decided what was best for us and I don't use data on my phone much, hubby a little bit more but not a lot, so don't need of data anyway, for me with the amount I'll put on the PAYG (£30 min per year as you have to top up £10 every 120 days) means I'll have lots in reserve for spending on data if I need it.

And what are you going to do with all that data? It would serve a small village! It's about 100 hours of streamed video (one of the most data-intensive activities), or three-and-half hours a day. I know we have some wet days, but I don't think we could use that much even if we could get a good enough signal.
We don't have land-line broadband so the new Three phone sim with 100gb data allowance will be our broadband 'supply' both at home and away. At present we have a 40gb data only contract which at times is 'tight' so we find we have to reduce our usage towards the end of the contract month if we're getting close to the limit. A 100gb data allowance will more than adequately meet our needs without the worry of going over 40gb and being hammered with additional charges, Three don't do anything in between 40gb and 100gb and the 100gb phone sim is cheaper than the dedicated data sim!

For comparison we have phones with £8.50 pm sim cards with 1 Gb of data, which is enough for casual browsing, sending photos, maps, etc. and a mobile dongle (Huawei) which provides wi-fi for 2 phones, a laptop, and two iPads. We buy a 12 Gb data sim from Three, which has a 12 month expiry and costs £27, which we use for multiple trips at home and in Europe and we usually have data left when it expires. Total cost £231 p.a.
... and how much do you pay for your home broadband on top of that? We won't have any other expense on broadband at all, nothing, nowt nada, zilch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back