Some definitive answers on Glen Trool & Bruce's stone bridge. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
@kelpie Asked me if I knew what the possibility of getting his motorhome from Glen Trool campsite to Bruce's stone with a view to walking the Merrick (@ 843 m 2,766 ft highest peak in south west Scotland).

As promised Hazel & I went over a wee jaunt to see the lay of the land & we had a very enjoyable day in the sunshine.

So here goes for those that'd like to be sure of the access. We photographed the new & impressive bridge over the river at the Glen Trool visitors centre. There are no worries in taking motorhomes over the new bridge (see photo's below).
There is ample parking at the visitors Pay & Display area & the visitors centre sports a nice little tea room.
We carried on along the road towards Bruce's stone & came across a timber truck coming towards us! There are plenty of passing places so no worries there.
We couldn't see any signs near the weight limited culvert but, the trucks all turn off just as you approach the culvert.
So it would appear that you'd need to park your motorhome in that area & preferably not blocking the way of the trucks but, I think that'd be reasonably easy.
The walk to Bruce's stone is exactly 1.1 miles from the culvert, so if your walking on the Merrick you'd need to factor in that extra distance.

Hope this helps anyone who may be planning a visit to this area?
The main road between Newton Stewart & Straiton has mostly been resurfaced & is very smooth now & the A75 is in the middle of a long awaited resurfacing.

For anyone wishing to wild camp in the area, the car park at Stinchar Falls is pretty much deserted at night & is laid out a bit like a CL with a number of separate parking bays.
There are no toilets or water supply. Camping is tolerated & I've been known to chat to the park rangers who leave you to your devices with a cheery wave.
Please leave the area as you found it or better still, gather up litter even if it isn't your own.
There is a small car park right on the border between Ayrshire/ Dumfries & Galloway.
The car park is over a small bridge on the same side of the road as the ornate black sign post.
I've wild camped there since the early 1960s & have many happy memories of our Caravanette of the day.

One further point is that when leaving the Glen Trool visitors turn left immediately after crossing the new bridge & follow signs for Newton Stewart (includes the new cycle route)
as its a beautiful wee road with wonderful scenery.
20181010_151740_resized.jpg
20181010_160936_resized.jpg

20181010_151844.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
For information there are a couple of places between the bridge and Glentrool Lodge where there are forestry roads with parking areas. We have used these in the past in the winter. There is water in the river should you need it.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
20181010_153354.jpg

Gabby coming back to see what's holding me up...…….this is the beginning of the Merrick trail.....

20181010_153555.jpg

Looking back at the parking area...……………..
20181010_153822.jpg

After just a few yards you see this view...……
20181010_153631.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
For information there are a couple of places between the bridge and Glentrool Lodge where there are forestry roads with parking areas. We have used these in the past in the winter. There is water in the river should you need it.

Cheers @WillH, I'd forgotten to add those on, at the Straiton end in particular there are some stunning picnic spots which are always open too.

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Just back from two nights in Pitlochry with no laptop through choice:D.
Thanks Hazel and Robert for taking the time to go and have a gander, cracking photos. Bet weather won't be like that on 23rd and 24th October when I'm down there. It's strange that you get 2.5 mile warning at main bridge , then nothing else. we're oop the Merrick on Wed so I'll drive along to see the carpark at Loch Trool which I think is the one you mean.I'll get my mate to carry me the extra 2.2 miles:D.
We're staying at Glentrool Campsite for the two nights , eat in House o'Hill to save cooking other than Breakfast.
All booked so need to become religious and pray for decent weather. Weather Wed , at Pitlochry was lovely, today hellish , already home. Strong winds all the way down.
Thanks again for all your advice.
John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For anyone wishing to wild camp in the area, the car park at Stinchar Falls is pretty much deserted at night & is laid out a bit like a CL with a number of separate parking bays.
There are no toilets or water supply. Camping is tolerated & I've been known to chat to the park rangers who leave you to your devices with a cheery wave.

advertising this may not be a good idea.. it could be be all over FB in a few days :(

let's hope it doesn't get overused and spoiled as Glencaple.. park rangers may not be so cheery

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Ah October 24th is my birthday & strangely enough was on my birthday the last time I was on the Merrick. Incidentally, the first time I walked the Merrick it was from the loch Doon end but, forestry works have made that virtually impossible now.
Have some great memories of nights in "The Backhill of Bush" & "Tunskeen" bothies.
I've had a few highly vocal nights in the House O Hill pub too, it was a favourite of my dad as we used to pop down there for a bar lunch from time to time.
Crippled with arthritis these days so my hillwalking days are behind me but, I enjoyed the programme with Paul Murton as it had shown me some of my favourite places on earth.

Last edited:

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Ah October 24th is my birthday & strangely enough was on my birthday the last time I was on the Merrick. Incidentally, the first time I walked the Merrick it was from the loch Doon end but, forestry works have made that virtually impossible now.
Have some great memories of nights in "The Backhill of Bush" & "Tunskeen" bothies.
I've had a few highly vocal nights in the House O Hill pub too, it was a favourite of my dad as we used to pop down there for a bar lunch from time to time.
Crippled with arthritis these days so my hillwalking days are behind me but, I enjoyed the programme with Paul Muston as it had shown me some of my favourite places on earth.
Sorry to hear of arthritis, I get occasional pains too .
Watched the programme , and really enjoyed it.
Probable first stop on arrival will be the cafe at visitor's centre for half a dozen scones to take away(y)
. Good job you mentioned the forestry works as we were contemplating coming down that way. Up from Bruce's stone and down t'other way , we'd hoped .Up and down same way will do nicely though.
The campsite is closing for winter on 30th Oct, so 23-24 my last chance this year. I think the owners are related to a member on here , been a couple of times and never had a complaint about site , well run. No tv reception other than by satellite , so that's a bonus too. Means entertainment is pub based .
John

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Keep an ear to the Merrick on the 24th , Robert , I'll shout Happy Birthday from the summit , if I've any breath left:D. My mate goes walking twice a week , me , twice a year on a good year. Helicopter could be required for downward journey. On the way down I'll constantly repeat "shower then pint , shower then pint" , sure I'll make it(y)
Will let you know what ward I'm in.
John

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Many Thanks @ambulancekidd & @Mrsambulancekidd for going to the trouble of taking an amble up there and taking such great pictures. I take that Glen Trool lodge is a private residence?, yes I have been straining my eyes on Google Earth also:D When I follow the road up towards the stone past the lodge, ther road splits left & right with a parking sign, but I can see it continues up to another parking spot nearer the stone, can we get up this far?, or is that crossing the culvert 3 tonne restriction?
I feel so guilty for just steam rolling through D&G to get to see the family in Ayrshire. I honestly dont think even many Ayrshire born & Raised people explore this area enough, they tend to go to the west coast like Troon or over to Arran or Millport for their long weekends.
The wee yins tend to jump on a plane and only want to see beeches with hot weather & partying....I suppose its just an age thing, so I cant blame them.

Really sad that we had to miss this years D&G rally at the airfield museum, but we have to work around TinaL unexpected consultant referral hospital appointments, with even more to get done this month, before she has the big decision op:eek:
Hope to get up there see these places and meet you guys ASAP.
Thanks again for sharing.
Les & TinaL

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Got back from Glentrool yesterday having failed to climb the Merrick . Old age and crap weather conspired against me , my mate finished it. Good thing to come out of it , found a wee wildy place despite being on the campsite . There's a sign marked Loch Trool circuit , around 400 yds nice car park . When I parked van for the climb there was a van just leaving who had obviously overnighted , so it's in memory bank for the future.
Merrick WILL be finished in better weather.
John

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Meant to say, the road WAS closed at Barrhill , from 9am until 3.30 pm daily. Crazy diversion on way down , but came back via the House o'Hill chef's directions via Straiton, Kirkmichael , and Dalrymple . Nice drive , think I'll use that route from now on.
Need to get off main roads , relax , and smell the................ well that depends on what the farmers are up to at the time.:D
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back