takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Stayed at La Brande, il d'Oleron and was charged 1.50e per night to take the toad onto the site. Two years ago stayed without any extra charge.

The charge is not mentioned in the Camping Cheque guide.

The charge applies to any petrol driven transport extra to the motorhome, so scooter or motor cycle's will attract the charge.:Angry:

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
If petrol is specifically mentioned it sounds like you should find a diesel powered car :Smile:

Rasmus

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Thanks for the information, but Its not just French sites it also happens in the UK and I think its a bloody cheek, I can't see any difference between a motorhome towing a car and a Caravan and car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi,

Thanks for the information, but Its not just French sites it also happens in the UK and I think its a bloody cheek, I can't see any difference between a motorhome towing a car and a Caravan and car.

There isn't a difference, vote with your "feet" and don't use those sites :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Stayed at La Brande, il d'Oleron and was charged 1.50e per night to take the toad onto the site. Two years ago stayed without any extra charge.

Then you can say the site is well run. Any business that does not squeeze every penny from it's assets is a badly run business. Badly run businesses fail.

That's how capitalism works.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Often wondered if sites generally charged for towed cars ?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
think its under the charges for extras lot
the list that seems to grow from year to year and that more and more campsites seem to be adpoting.
you know the one charges for
extra persons over party of 2
child under 10/12
adults
the unmentionables (teens)
dogs
awnings
pull out awnings
pup tents
windbreaks
2nd vehicle (there in lays the crunch - vehicle propelled by an engine wether being towed or not)
groundsheets
10/16amp hookup
basic pitch
serviced pitch
super seviced pitch
hardstanding pitch
tv/sky hookup point
extra for units over 20'
etc etc

when i started out you booked a pitch there were only 2 types those with elec or those without, it didnt matter the number of people in your party as long as they were on your pitch so if you had a 5/6berth caravan and a pup tent/awning with sleeping pods with an extra vehicle it didnt matter it was included with the only request by the campsite was that extra vehicles be parked in reception carpark, now anything over 2 people and a certain length its extra charges

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Then you can say the site is well run. Any business that does not squeeze every penny from it's assets is a badly run business. Badly run businesses fail.

Oh dear that makes us a badly run business !

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
think its under the charges for extras lot
the list that seems to grow from year to year and that more and more campsites seem to be adpoting.
you know the one charges for
extra persons over party of 2
child under 10/12
adults
the unmentionables (teens)
dogs
awnings
pull out awnings
pup tents
windbreaks
2nd vehicle (there in lays the crunch - vehicle propelled by an engine wether being towed or not)
groundsheets
10/16amp hookup
basic pitch
serviced pitch
super seviced pitch
hardstanding pitch
tv/sky hookup point
extra for units over 20'
etc etc

when i started out you booked a pitch there were only 2 types those with elec or those without, it didnt matter the number of people in your party as long as they were on your pitch so if you had a 5/6berth caravan and a pup tent/awning with sleeping pods with an extra vehicle it didnt matter it was included with the only request by the campsite was that extra vehicles be parked in reception carpark, now anything over 2 people and a certain length its extra charges

Perhaps we are old fashioned then because at Cwmcuttan its still like that - Hook-up or no hook-up thats it !:Smile:
As been said before CS or CL's are just hobby type businesses not to make a living out of.

T

TomTee

Deleted User

Mmmm, not sure that I agree. I'm a businessman and I also like to think that I'm a fair man. If I were a site owner I'd price my site as high as I could after considering the competition. It's true that my basic job is to buy as cheaply as possible and to sell as expensively as possible. However, that wonderful thing called the free market and competition forces me to charge reasonable prices and not rip-off my customers.

However, I get back to the fairness element. If I charge one price for a caravan and car, charging extra for a motorhome and car is clearly unfair and eventually my business will suffer as people realise that I'm greedy and they will vote with their feet.

I therefore contend that this is not a well-run business, but a business run by someone who is greedy and short-sighted and eventually he will suffer for his greed.

The most successful businesses in a mature industry are those that retain client loyalty, it's much more cost effective to retain existing clients than to recruit new ones.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I think its disgraceful as you dont take up any more room than a caravan and car, also charging for the dog, what electric or water do they use to justify the charging for them:whatthe: or for anything else on the list really, what extra room does your wind out awning take, would someone really park that close so that you couldnt wind it out?? on a proper site I mean not an aire. it makes my blood boil when you see what they charge for, we dont use the sites and find somewhere else if we can:thumb:

OP
OP
T

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp

That's how capitalism works

It's not actually !

But I am sure you know that :winky:

I did ask why the charge and does tuggers have to pay for their car ?

Apparently a caravan and car is a package deal and if they brought another motorised vehical onto the site then there would be a charge for it.

However on check in they did point out the extra charge and I could have left the car outside the site.

Out of approximatley 20 pitches in the part of the site we choose, there where only two occupied for the 10 days we stayed, some of the larger pitches had been planted with four trees, so apart from a tent we or a tugger could not get on to them.

Not a good use of assets IMHO, however as I was paying I quite often parked the car on one of these.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh dear that makes us a badly run business !

You're not alone.

I cringe at all the things I've done as free extras over the years. Oh everybody loves you for not charging them but I'd be running a big new A class now instead of a diddy 7 year old MH if I'd charged for what I should have charged for for the last 30 years.

It's a horrible equation when you run your own business, "how much can I charge without losing business ?". "How much am I worth ?". Even worse is enjoying your work then you say daft things like "I don't do it just for the money".

Jim is giving this place away. Now if he charged a token £1 each which no-one would bat an eyelid at, in 20 years he could be £200,000 better off. So I hope he spots this message in 20 years and thinks "Shit, that £200,000 would come in nicely now".

So have a think Mr Dylan, what will you be saying in 20 years time.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
As been said before CS or CL's are just hobby type businesses not to make a living out of.

Absolutely agree :thumb:

OP
OP
T

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
No I don't. But I'm willing to learn. What is your take on this ?

Ok lets take a large supermarket, they sell certain products from time to time at very little or even no profit and of course if we all went in and bought these items they would go bust very quickly. But we don't, what usually happens we nip in for a bottle of milk and walk out with half dozens things that we never intended to buy.

At this moment I am sitting in my motorhome in France typing this while logged on to the internet at no extra charge. The couple over the way choose this site over another because of this.

My experience of running business's for the last 35 years are that, if you screw the last drop of money out customers old and new, as a small business you will soon run out of customers.

Look after them and they thankfully will look after you, that's how I am able to sit in my relatively expensive motorhome with a bottle chilling ready to raze a glass to them later to day.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ok lets take a large supermarket, they sell certain products from time to time at very little or even no profit

At this moment I am sitting in my motorhome in France typing this while logged on to the internet at no extra charge. The couple over the way choose this site over another because of this.

Well pushing supermarket loss leaders in a thread on campsites it pushing it, but you probably thought that when you typed it :Smile:

Free WiFi is a good point. It would influence me. This typifies the conundrum, "can I charge for the WiFi or will I lose business". Now that would depend on location, if it's stunning and no competition then charge. If there's a site next door charging for WiFi obviously it's a loss leader that will add to the turnover.

>> Look after them and they thankfully will look after you

That would depend a lot on the business. If it's servicing bigger businesses which send everything out to tender then it counts for little.

But in the context of a campsite, goodwill will get repeat business but it's no use having loads of satisfied returning customers if the government is screwing you into the ground and you can't afford to refurbish the toilets. Then those extra pounds make all the difference.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back