A Motorhome tracker you'd be stupid not to fit. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks! doesn't really answer my question but it seems 'your on the case' I note you said the first one would be user fitted but failed to mention who would fit the other one. An arrangement with a third party perhaps???

Read the posts Jock :D2:D2 @Jim has said he wants both trackers to be fitted by the end user and no involvement from 3rd party.(y)
I have read all the posts thanks Phil...............................including yours quoted and highlighted above, to which I was replying to.

There's nowt wrong with my eyesight. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I see you've edited your post Phil. ;)

Then you would have read Jim's reply to my post too.

I want it simple enough for anyone to fit both of the components. An easy battery fit and hiding the other component anywhere.... Timescale I'm not sure as I haven't settled in my mind the final configuration yet.....But I would hope to be shipping something before the end of the year.:rolleyes:
I certainly did Phil, and was making it clear that I wasn't interested in any "third party" involvement. I'm sure others feel the same, and like me, will be glad that Jim has favoured "user installation".

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I see you've edited your post Phil. ;)

I certainly did Phil, and was making it clear that I wasn't interested in any "third party" involvement. I'm sure others feel the same, and like me, will be glad that Jim has favoured "user installation".

Cheers,

10 out of 10 Jock. You get a free I Spy badge for that observation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
"Edit: The cheapest monthly SIM card I can find is Giffgaff at £5 a month which is £60 a year." They do one for £3.99 pm.

How about solar power for this gizmo?
I suggested that but have been ignored ... :crying:

Apr 19, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Holdsworth
Exp
Since 2016
Hi, I would be very interested if you can get it up and running. I was outside Lidl the other day when someone had tried to screwdriver my door open, shocking as I basically live in my little van so I'd have been up the creek. Look forward to hearing more.
(Lidl Northampton next door to Aldi near the Carlsberg brewery)

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Hi, I would be very interested if you can get it up and running. I was outside Lidl the other day when someone had tried to screwdriver my door open, shocking as I basically live in my little van so I'd have been up the creek. Look forward to hearing more.

With such a crude way to try to gain entry, I have a feeling that was more likely to be low-life looking to teef stuff rather than take the whole van.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I would be very interested @Jim, and can think of many more with small campervans who would also be interested. Will it be simple enough for a non-techie like me to fit? Will watch this thread with interest.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
"Edit: The cheapest monthly SIM card I can find is Giffgaff at £5 a month which is £60 a year." They do one for £3.99 pm.

How about solar power for this gizmo?

You could use gif gaff payg sim.
So long as it’s used once every couple of months it stays live.

Cheap as chips

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Buy a pay go sim 99p, put a tenner on it and it will last for years, just check it's position periodically to keep the sim active. I check mine monthly though I think most will let you get away with six monthly

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Must have been a Dane or a German,,Hope it didn't do too much damage,, BUSBY:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use a PAYG Giggaff, Three would work out a lot cheaper by the cheap trackers need a 2G SIM with the older TEXT system.

Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
As you will know there is something like this available for hikers etc called a PLB or Personal Locator Beacon. These mini-EPIRBs work anywhere as they talk to a satellite but they aren't cheap (£200) and don't switch themselves on if they are stolen.

https://www.force4.co.uk/department/safety/epirbs-plbs-ais-units.html

Edit: The cheapest monthly SIM card I can find is Giffgaff at £5 a month which is £60 a year. A cheaper alternative would be a preloaded SIM card with ideally a 24 month life.

Gif Gaf do a pay as you go Sim that charges 2p a text and as long as it used once evey six months remains valid.. as used by myself in the aforementioned cheap trackers.. amazon 17 quid and a sim card.. needs to have a 12 volt supply (plenty of scope for that in a MH) current draw is minimal. send it a text and it returns with location and speed and a link to a google map... showing location.

apologies just noticed I was 7 pages behind... probably already been said..

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
https://www.1pmobile.com/

As in the website name , 1p per text
on EE network
£10 initial credit to activate the sim
no monthly contract
keep SIM active, by making at least one £10 top-up every 120 days.....£30 per year
1000 texts over 120 days . Allows for plenty checks.

Unused credit rolls over on to next top up

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Well having read all this thread I've decided to send for one of these from Amazon.
I'm sure I can get a Virgin Sim at no cost except a £10 top up.
The power cable will be have to be discreet but not a problem if I hide it behind the dash somewhere.
Can any one see a problem with this solution?
Likorlove -Vehicle Car GPS Tracker Tracking Device Mini GSM GPRS SMS Locator Global Real Time for Car Auto Vehicle Motorcycle Bycicle Scooter (2.5 * 4.6 * 5.6 cm)

Amazon product ASIN B078KTKQ79

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Well having read all this thread I've decided to send for one of these from Amazon.
I'm sure I can get a Virgin Sim at no cost except a £10 top up.
The power cable will be have to be discreet but not a problem if I hide it behind the dash somewhere.
Can any one see a problem with this solution?
Likorlove -Vehicle Car GPS Tracker Tracking Device Mini GSM GPRS SMS Locator Global Real Time for Car Auto Vehicle Motorcycle Bycicle Scooter (2.5 * 4.6 * 5.6 cm)

Amazon product ASIN B078KTKQ79

Looking at the installation instructions it appears to need to be in plain sight of satellites - ie only glass between tracker and satellite !

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
We had what was called Farm Elert
Great system tracked us everywhere could view it on line and would notify extra mobiles if not replied to and such. Used very much by the farming community for all kinds of vehicles.
Unfortunately it’s just closed due to some problem with the windows operating system
Sad as it was good !

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Looking at the installation instructions it appears to need to be in plain sight of satellites - ie only glass between tracker and satellite !
Yes,
That's why I didn't go for this one. The one I have has a separate antenna which can be placed appropriately. They will work through plastic or fibreglass so there are out of the way places where they can be out of sight.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Worth trying at that cost though. The one I had (admittedly a different make) would work through the metal roof of our PVC.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
https://www.1pmobile.com/

As in the website name , 1p per text
on EE network
£10 initial credit to activate the sim
no monthly contract
keep SIM active, by making at least one £10 top-up every 120 days.....£30 per year
1000 texts over 120 days . Allows for plenty checks.

Unused credit rolls over on to next top up
What text from at do they use?
The cheap trackers require the older "TEXT" format on 2G Sims they won't work with "PTS" text format.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
What text from at do they use?
The cheap trackers require the older "TEXT" format on 2G Sims they won't work with "PTS" text format.

I knew about the 2G requirement on the trackers so I contacted 1p mobile ( few months ago) and along with other questions I specifically asked them if the sim would function in a tracker. They clearly stated that it would . Thats about as much as I know , as I havent got round to fitting the gadget yet.
I purchased the TK104 tracker model which is all over the place on ebay , amazon etc .Sellers claim it has a long standby time without charging, however I will have it linked to one of the vehicle batteries so standby time , on its own battery , doesnt really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back