Noisy neighbours !! (1 Viewer)

swiftcruiser

Free Member
Apr 27, 2010
Funster No
We are just coming back to motorhoming after many years away, wondered what you folks would have done in this situation. We arrived on site parked up, late afternoon early evening, two couples arrived and put up their tent at a distance that was fine too all, the two couples were I would say in their early thirties. However as the evening sun set the laughing and loud talking continued and continued and continued I would say they appeared to cease their endless chatter and laughter at about 2.30 - 3am on the Saturday morning, by then of course our peace and tranquility had been destroyed. I had considered at about 2am to get up go out and ask them to be quiet, but thought better of it. The next morning as the site appeared full we decided to move on as likewise did the elderly couple in the caravan next to us. I mentioned to this couple who came to us about how their night had been spoilt that I had considered approaching them. Their thoughts were that I was right not to confront them as I just might have found our motorhome being trashed ! As I mentioned earlier these 4 people were not youngsters . This site was not a CC or CC&C club site. We and the other couple did advise the site wardens why we were leaving but apart from offering to speak to the culprits offered us no alternative pitch.
Because motorhoming camping and caravanning has become so popular and sites are busier is this a situation that we will have to accept. I am sure am not alone in knowing what to do when one is pitched up near others that have no consideration for their neighbours, Look forward to reading others observations

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
A difficult one without a definative answer. I am boring by most peoples standards and generally like to sleep by midnight as always wake early. I also understand that camping attracts all different types but most sites do ask that you make no noise after 23.00-24.00 hrs. You would like to think that a few polite words would make them think about their neighbours but unfortunately, these days, that is often not the case

Someone braver than me would probably have a little chat with them and show them the error of their ways!! :thumb: I would probably ask to move to another pitch or leave site if they were staying on another night. I am passed the the time in my life when I was happy to live and let live :Doh:

We have found that by staying on CLs and smaller sites we usually avoid these situations, however you should be able to stay on any site without being overly disturbed. I would say from my limited experience that most campers on most sites do comply and respect others peace & quiet.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I might be wrong on this but I believe that a noisy disturbance after 23:00 is considered to a reportable offence, also I think that it is not the police that handle it but the local council.

Being on private property might be an obstacle to the police attending so all in all its down to you to sort it out.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I'm afraid that I would have asked them to keep quiet as soon as midnight approached. Anyone with half a brain knows how sound travels at night. Why should anyone be deprived of sleep by such inconsiderate and ill-mannered people?

If anyone wants to be able to talk until the early hours they should wild camp a long way from others.

Some people moan about sites imposing rules and regulations but generally they're there for the benefit of the sensible people.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Mmmm.... Maybe a vuvuzela is not so horrible after all:RollEyes:

I would have made lots of noise in the morning, music, pots and pans, shouting the lot! (have done before) a baseball bat and ball are handy to have in reserve as well......:Angry:

we need to police our own lives, and not put up with this sort of thing

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I am sure am not alone in knowing what to do when one is pitched up near others that have no consideration for their neighbours, Look forward to reading others observations

If it were me I would have got my generator out around 23:30 and started it up, at midnight I would have shut it down just long enough to remove the silencer and then started it again :ROFLMAO:

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
This sort of behaviour is becoming almost the norm on some camp sites.

Weekends seem the worst and I think it has to do with the offenders not being "campers" but simply someone who has borrowed or bought a cheap tent and then go off for "a good time" with their mates.They usually have a few beers and then laugh and talk loudly until some ungodly hour. They do not care or even have any idea that they are causing annoyance to anyone else.

If you complain you will get verbal abuse and maybe even violence, it's just not worth it.

Such action as moving away to a quieter spot then returning after they have gone to bed with a darning needle and pair of pliers and puncturing the side walls of their tyres is criminal damage and I do not condone it.

I have seen this sort of criminal damage when camping near a noisy neighbour, but it is difficult to know who would do such a thing.

Hallii

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
Unfortunately there are a lot of inconsiderate people, and as camping / caravanning and Motorhoming is becoming more and more popular more of these inconsiderates who would have previously been pissing it up in ibeefa are descending on campsites of all kinds around the UK.

in fact my wife says I should stay at home.

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
I have never had this problem, having always avoided paying camp sites :Smile:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
noise

there should always be a noisy corner for people who like to party till the early hours then ther wouldn t be a problem

Madmaggott

Free Member
Jun 19, 2010
Fishguard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 Year
there should always be a noisy corner for people who like to party till the early hours then ther wouldn t be a problem

This is, IMO, a good idea but who is going to admit to being one of the nuisances at the point of checking in? :Doh:

conham

Free Member
May 5, 2010
Funster No
Just returned from cheddar and a couple turned up in a motor home and left their jack russell outside and went off and guess want yes ,yap yap yap at every body who walked by..they were informed when they returned.(Sorry):Doh:Unfortunately there are a lot of inconsiderate people around.conham

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
The only time we've encountered any noise is when we stayed on the car park at Burnham Sailing Club last year. There was an 18th birthday party taking place at the club so you can imagine it was very very noisy. One young lad turned up in his car with bimbette in tow, out to impress his companion he played the music so loud it was louder than the disco at the party. Now that was the wrong thing to do when I'm around because I went out and gave him what for, Graham cringes when I do things like that but I can handle myself so he wasnt scared for me. The lad apologised, turned off his music and engine and went to the party, leaving his car overnight in the car park. Oh dear when he came next morning it had had its wipers ripped off and not by me I might add.

With the nice weather weekends seem a good idea to these novice campers to get away and enjoy themselves and they havent a care in the world who they upset because they probarbly dont even know they are doing it. We did the same on Friday night but we were on our boat on the Broads, had a few bottles of wine and we got louder but we were enjoying ourselves and nothing else mattered. Its very hard when these situations arise not knowing what to do for the best and sometimes it is best left alone because you dont know how people will react.

OP
OP
S

swiftcruiser

Free Member
Apr 27, 2010
Funster No
Re Noisy neighbours

My first post, thankyou to all who took the trouble to give me their thoughts on this topic. Now I know why motorhomers have said to me have you been on the motorhomefun website, Goodbye Facebook !!! hello motorhomefun:thumb::thumb:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
noise

we all go away for our own reasons those who like to party and those who don t ,so hows having a drink and a good time being a nuisance .if someone likes to go to bed early then go but don t spoil it for the party people:roflmto:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I would have thought the site had rules regarding noise after a certain time, if they do then If I was worried about approaching the people making the noise directly then I would have used what ever facility the site had for security situations and followed it e.g. proberbly a phone number direct to the owners/wardens accommodation and explained the situation,

If I wasn't sleeping I would make sure the people who took my money weren't either, that's what I pay for.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

Firstly i would have a quiet word with them as has been said probably not campers so maybe dont know the impact their having on other i would not argue with them i would just be polite if it didnt work id go and wake up the warden and let him deal with it.

Hasnt happened to often in campsites but happened in a hotel once 3 young lads coming in at all hours playing music when Sophie was only 3 i politely asked them over balcony to turn music down and to my amazement the lads did it and came and said sorry to Sophie at pool next day. So not all loud people are violent nutters just some are :ROFLMAO: and a quiet but firm word works wonders.

Gerry

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
The site owner, manager or warden would be my first port of call either by a personal visit or if possible a telephone call.

I would suggest to them that during their 'patrol' of the site :winky: they came across the noisy campers and speak to them. I would expect them to monitor the situation say every half hour an hour unless there are obvious signs that the noisy campers got the message.:Smile:

If a club site and the warden or manager fails to act then get together with the other effected campers and complain to head office.

If privately owned again together with all effected campers and speak to the owner to get the noisy ones moved or ALL threaten to leave and demand a refund, if refused suggest as a group a Small Claims Action as well as reporting and naming the site on the internet .

Mick

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
This is not meant as being funny but..... it wasn't a MotorhomeFun meet was it? Having been on several they always go on until at least 2am. So maybe we need to be careful of how we crtitisize others before we look at our own group :Blush:.
Having said that we agree there are some very inconsiderate people about. You are right in this day and age not to get out of bed and approach them. Those days have long gone because you will not get supported by others either as violence is the norm now and not reason. Camp site owners are only interested in revenue in the main.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
This is why I like CCC rallies and sites, we have the 11 o'clock rule, quiet after this time, that's not to say you have to go to bed at this time, it means you do nothing to disturb the peace of others after this time. Some posters advocate starting a noise war, starting generators, banging pots and pans etc, what foolish people. tit for tat just makes things worse.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have been motor homing for over 20 years and only experienced real problems with noise on 2 occasions. one is swanage on a campsite where i could not be bothered to get out of bed and identify who was making the rumpus as they where not immediately adjacent.

the other was in the Vendee where a group of French tennagers on pitch next to us would not be reasonable even when challenged repeatedly (I am no shrinking violet) Sooooo in the morning when everyone else around where up I blasted them with music from my camper...and they all crawled out of the tents and surrounded me ...security intervened - Job done::bigsmile:

Oh and a third! Germans on a site in Portugal that got hairy...........:RollEyes:

all these incidents where over 10 years ago...we are careful where we stay:winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We are just coming back to motorhoming after many years away. We arrived on site parked up, late afternoon early evening, two couples arrived and put up their tent at a distance that was fine too all, the two couples were I would say in their early thirties. .
Because motorhoming camping and caravanning has become so popular and sites are busier is this a situation that we will have to accept.
Yes camping is for tents as well as motorhomes:cry:

Talking and laughter is not barred in my van but insulation tends to keep that inside. Tents don’t have the benefit of insulation.. Snoring and good relations can also be a bit anti social if you can only afford a tent, why not bar them also. The tenters probably don’t like the smell of burnt oil and diesel emitted from your engine or the shadow that keeps the sun from their tent but they put up with it because it is all part of the camping experience. If camping is not for you then there are many alternatives that give complete isolation and solitude.:Sad:

Last edited:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
it,s this loverly weather,perhaps we should do a rain dance,that will keep the lively buggers quiet, anyrate, its not only on camp sites, at home, this weekend, a very noisy party untill 2 in the morning, I resisted the urge to sing along with music :roflmto:, and I also agree about the comments, about the motorfun group,as for Kareoke ahhhhh,:cry: .well now the footie is over perhaps a bit of sanity will reign . but lets have more fun more sun, and if it,s a noisy, get invited :ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
it,s this loverly weather,perhaps we should do a rain dance,that will keep the lively buggers quiet, anyrate, its not only on camp sites, at home, this weekend, a very noisy party untill 2 in the morning, I resisted the urge to sing along with music :roflmto:, and I also agree about the comments, about the motorfun group,as for Kareoke ahhhhh,:cry: .well now the footie is over perhaps a bit of sanity will reign . but lets have more fun more sun, and if it,s a noisy, get invited :ROFLMAO:

I always keep a hidden bottle of wine in the van just in case I have noisy neighbours, If they are keeping me awake then I obviously don’t need the sleep so I take my bottle of wine and join them. Always works, In my mind having fun is what camping is about.:welcome:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
I always keep a hidden bottle of wine in the van just in case I have noisy neighbours, If they are keeping me awake then I obviously don’t need the sleep so I take my bottle of wine and join them. Always works, In my mind having fun is what camping is about.:welcome:

I don.nt keep my bottle of wine hidden, when on site, just drop in for a glass or 3 ::bigsmile:

T

TomTee

Deleted User

Agree entirely, having fun is what camping is all about. The trouble is it's not much fun if you have children who can't get to sleep and it's not much fun if you have an early start the next morning followed by a long drive in a strange country.

Your method seem slightly odd to me - you have some noisy neighbours who are keeping people awake, so you go and join them and add an extra voice to the noise!

Unless of course you mean to say that appearing with a bottle of wine shames them into shutting up, but your post isn't clear on that subject.

Camping is fun but it isn't fun for others who may be desperate to get a good night's sleep but can't because of inconsiderate pests.

You say "If I'm being kept awake I obviously don't need the sleep" but I think what you really mean is that you obviously can't get the sleep, which is very different. One day you may be desperate to get a good night's sleep, especially if this is the second night in succession that you've been kept awake. I'm all for some tolerance but yours seems a bit much!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree entirely, having fun is what camping is all about. The trouble is it's not much fun if you have children who can't get to sleep and it's not much fun if you have an early start the next morning followed by a long drive in a strange country.

Your method seem slightly odd to me - you have some noisy neighbours who are keeping people awake, so you go and join them and add an extra voice to the noise!

Unless of course you mean to say that appearing with a bottle of wine shames them into shutting up, but your post isn't clear on that subject.

Camping is fun but it isn't fun for others who may be desperate to get a good night's sleep but can't because of inconsiderate pests.

I totally agree .. one man's fun can be another's nightmare ..

If you want/need to party till 2 am a camp site isn't appropriate , and let's not forget, camp sites were originally intended for tents for people who wanted to enjoy the great outdoors , not for gin palaces and people who want to party all night.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I totally agree .. one man's fun can be another's nightmare ..

If you want/need to party till 2 am a camp site isn't appropriate , and let's not forget, camp sites were originally intended for tents for people who wanted to enjoy the great outdoors , not for gin palaces and people who want to party all night.

After 20+ years of camping of every type Jim I can honestly say I have never been kept awake by anyone partying all night or not. Some of us have a low tolerance to our fellow man and find that having to survive in such close proximity to them can be a a problem. Is camping for them, not sure.:Angry:
My interpretation of a Gin Palace is an RV. They are definitely too big for camp sites partying all night or not. Should they be barred. :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had considered at about 2am to get up go out and ask them to be quiet,

Can't do that with a dog. I heard background grumblings at the Cotton Arms meet "bloody dog" "damned dogs".

We were well away so it wasn't a real problem but for anyone near the yapping it must have been most unpleasant. One bad thing about motorhomes, they are transparent sound wise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back