LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I am buying a short fishing Kayak, about 3m in November.Lucky me....I fish the Med a couple of days a week....I can carry the Kayak on my car roof...
Summer holidays have been taken in Scandinavia with the motorhome..I would like to know if others have carried a short Kayak on the Fiamma bike rack, vertically?
32kg Kayak secured on adapted rack...not used for bikes....this could protude about 20/30cm above the roofline. Any problems I should lookout for?
Do not have access to or space on roof.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you are modifying it is it not possible to mount it diagonally so reducing the protrusion ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you are modifying it is it not possible to mount it diagonally so reducing the protrusion ?
Yes Gus that's also an option, just got to make sure I do not obstruct any lights in doing so.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its something I've considered in order to carry a small rigid leisure kayak so I can't see any reason why you would be able to do as you are suggestion.

Not sure why you have decided against an inflatable as they are ideal for MHs when you can't store one on the roof, being nosy .... what made you come to this decision?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Its something I've considered in order to carry a small rigid leisure kayak so I can't see any reason why you would be able to do as you are suggestion.

Not sure why you have decided against an inflatable as they are ideal for MHs when you can't store one on the roof, being nosy .... what made you come to this decision?
There is a bit more "faffing about" to get an inflatable on the water compared to lifting a rigid off the back of the van and then just popping it back on when you are finished, sorry @Minxy Girl I know you didn't ask me the question.

Martin

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Does @andy63 carry his kayak vertically on the back of his moho?:unsure:
Not sure why I'm thinking that though.:confused:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There is a bit more "faffing about" to get an inflatable on the water compared to lifting a rigid off the back of the van and then just popping it back on when you are finished, sorry @Minxy Girl I know you didn't ask me the question.

Martin
No problem Martin, I understand and agree but if you buy the right inflatable it doesn't take long to get it on the water or packed away ... Gumotex have just brought out a new on called the Halibut. What puts me off about a rigid one is the weight ... the thought of trying to lift a 32kg rigid fishing kayak onto/off a rack on my own, or even move it around to get it on the water, would put me off ... an inflatable one doesn't weigh anything like that. Perhaps the OP has been eating lots and spinach and turned into Popeye! :D2

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Does @andy63 carry his kayak vertically on the back of his moho?:unsure:
Not sure why I'm thinking that though.:confused:
No Grant.. mines a sea kayak over 5m long..i carry it on the roof..
Theres loads of examples of people rigging up a carry system to carry a small river or squirt boat vertically on the rear of a mh...
A google or look on you tube will give loads of ideas..
Andy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Functional would have been nicer(y):LOL:
Andy
Oooooo ... I don't know ... sometimes a bit of what you fancy is better than something functional! :D

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Let's get back to Kayaks you lot....it's my post..
Thanks for replies so far, great help, time to think it over more....that's it, thinking over...I will use the Kayak more on the Med than on the MH....it can be carried on my car the 35 minutes to my fishing areas.
Let me tell.....a Fishing Kayak...has, rod holders for trolling, compartments for live bait, rod rests, attachment for small electric motor, paddle park. It lies low in the water which makes it less likely to drift in windy conditions, it's possible to stand up and fish from it.....all in all a great craft which meets my needs....we have a local outlet run by a professional canoeist here in Murcia...they provide a great service with a good range of models....more later...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for replies so far, great help, time to think it over more....that's it, thinking over...I will use the Kayak more on the Med than on the MH....it can be carried on my car the 35 minutes to my fishing areas.
Let me tell.....a Fishing Kayak...has, rod holders for trolling, compartments for live bait, rod rests, attachment for small electric motor, paddle park. It lies low in the water which makes it less likely to drift in windy conditions, it's possible to stand up and fish from it.....all in all a great craft which meets my needs....we have a local outlet run by a professional canoeist here in Murcia...they provide a great service with a good range of models....more later...
I love those little electric outboard motors ... could have done with one one my kayak a couple of weeks ago when I went for a long paddle round the edge of a very, very large lake then decided to cut across the middle to get back .... by heck that was a long haul! :D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
32kgs is still a fair weight to lift on/of even the proper type racks. Might be an idea if you can somehow fit a roller right at the rear like on commercial roof racks so that just by tilting it down on to the roller you can roll it on /off without putting your back out lifting.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
32kgs is still a fair weight to lift on/of even the proper type racks. Might be an idea if you can somehow fit a roller right at the rear like on commercial roof racks so that just by tilting it down on to the roller you can roll it on /off without putting your back out lifting.(y)
That's just got me thinking about another thing ... can the OP's car roof take the weight ... I suspect a lot can't.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That's just got me thinking about another thing ... can the OP's car roof take the weight ... I suspect a lot can't.

No problem with the 32kg on my car roof, I have a Peugeot Partner Rancho which is a strong old beast.....putting 32 kg on my Fiamma bike rack that protrudes above the roofline that caused me to post the question, Any thoughts on problems doing this?
Interesting replies so far...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No problem with the 32kg on my car roof, I have a Peugeot Partner Rancho which is a strong old beast.....putting 32 kg on my Fiamma bike rack that protrudes above the roofline that caused me to post the question, Any thoughts on problems doing this?
Only possible problem I can think of is that it would catch the wind as you travel so maybe think about making some sort of 'cowl' to deflect the worst of it and prevent it putting strain on your securing straps etc, either fixed to the kayak or to the top of the MH ... thinking about this a bit, if you made the cowl so that it overhung and allowed the end of the kayak to slot into it, it would make securing it quicker/easier.

Which kayak are you thinking of getting?

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Only possible problem I can think of is that it would catch the wind as you travel so maybe think about making some sort of 'cowl' to deflect the worst of it and prevent it putting strain on your securing straps etc, either fixed to the kayak or to the top of the MH ... thinking about this a bit, if you made the cowl so that it overhung and allowed the end of the kayak to slot into it, it would make securing it quicker/easier.

Which kayak are you thinking of getting?

Exactly my thoughts....the type of Canoe could be a Galaxy which I believe is British or something made here in Spain... currently trekking in Northern Spain and will visit the outlet near home later this month dracokayak is the outlet....Google their website...they have some interesting options for me.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Interesting replies so far...
I've been pondering this again and wonder if it would put too much strain on your bike rack it that was all that was taking the weight of the kayak - bike racks 'bounce' about horrendously at times - just follow MH with one when it goes over speed bumps - so on second thoughts I'd want another means to take some of the weight off the bike rack.

Would you be able to put a support for the end of the kayak below the rear bumper? I'm thinking you could have something that simply slots onto fixings on the chassis below, this would mean that the weight is taken by the chassis itself rather than it being on the bike rack, so no worry about it putting too much 'pressure' on your bike rack and distorting your rear panel. We has a scooter rack made for a previous MH that slotted into 2 x square section hollow bars attached to the chassis members, the rack had 2 smaller bars on which we slotted into the hollow bars and then bolted on to keep it in situ, it worked a treat and was easily removed for storage ... in fact I've still got the rack in the corner of the garage ... it wouldn't take much to made something like this for a kayak.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've been pondering this again and wonder if it would put too much strain on your bike rack it that was all that was taking the weight of the kayak - bike racks 'bounce' about horrendously at times - just follow MH with one when it goes over speed bumps - so on second thoughts I'd want another means to take some of the weight off the bike rack.

Would you be able to put a support for the end of the kayak below the rear bumper? I'm thinking you could have something that simply slots onto fixings on the chassis below, this would mean that the weight is taken by the chassis itself rather than it being on the bike rack, so no worry about it putting too much 'pressure' on your bike rack and distorting your rear panel. We has a scooter rack made for a previous MH that slotted into 2 x square section hollow bars attached to the chassis members, the rack had 2 smaller bars on which we slotted into the hollow bars and then bolted on to keep it in situ, it worked a treat and was easily removed for storage ... in fact I've still got the rack in the corner of the garage ... it wouldn't take much to made something like this for a kayak.

I am honoured that you have taken the task to hand....I fully get what you are saying, your ideas are worth putting into practice to help support the Kayak.
My Fiamma rack which is mounted on the fixings by Hymer from new...it looks like they placed the fittings on the strongest part of the rear panel....however extra support would help.....the rack is capable of 50kg my Kayak would be 32kg.....but weight is only one factor....stress caused by leverage is another.
I am looking into the Fiamma rack as providing secondary support, perhaps none load bearing, the chassis would be the main point to load on to therefore making the Fiamma an upright mounting. It looks like we are getting these ideas together. Thanks for your input....

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Would you be able to put a support for the end of the kayak below the rear bumper?

Depending on the height above the bumper the bike rack sits, that would be a good option if theres any doubt about the ability of the bike rack to take the weight..
Ill whisper this so as not to cause any upset to folk:LOL:..

I made a rack /shelf to carry a GENERATOR , by converting a back step on an transit and for a bit extra security and support put in an extension to the box section on the underside....
I know its most probably a bit lighter than a kayak but still 22 or so kg..
Pictures attached..
Andy
20181008_175537.jpg

Attachments

• 20181008_175552.jpg
    20181008_175552.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Depending on the height above the bumper the bike rack sits, that would be a good option if theres any doubt about the ability of the bike rack to take the weight..
Ill whisper this so as not to cause any upset to folk:LOL:..

I made a rack /shelf to carry a GENERATOR , by converting a back step on an transit and for a bit extra security and support put in an extension to the box section on the underside....
I know its most probably a bit lighter than a kayak but still 22 or so kg..
Pictures attached..
Andy
View attachment 260401

Cheers....It appears that we will be needing some additional support....just as you suggested.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back