Anyone got some exciting vegan/vegetarian recipes?? (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I always do my stir-fries fat-free - just put a bit of water in the bottom of the pan and add a tight fitting lid.

Slimming World has very nutritious recipes on their website which avoid fats and white flour products.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
don't know why my comment ended up on the quote Quorn is not vegan. neither are the vegetables cooked with beef stew served without the beef :eek: place in Glasgow many years ago offered jacket potato with chips as the vegan choice. Things are so much better now had a lovely meal out with my vegan grandsons plus one with galactosaemia and us omnivores. Well done Lounge chain in sutton coldfield.

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
neither are the vegetables cooked with beef stew served without the beef :eek: place
Ha ha. Brilliant. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There are a few vegan quorn things. I gather the intention is to make all quorn vegan by swapping the egg white for potato starch, but is hampered by a global shortage of potato starch apparently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Son and his girlfriend are vegetarian but at least 80% of their food is vegan, they love my yorkshires and my roasted veg lasagna otherwise I think they'd be totally vegan. Must admit that Readly subscription is coming into it's own with some adventurous vegan recipes. I've signed up for the 3 month 99p trial but will probably carry on. They don't like fake meat so I was running out of ideas with them home from Uni over the summer. They are happy to fend for themselves but I like to try to cook for all of us at least a couple of times a week. They would cook for us but not meat, fine by me but poor Nick would struggle!

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
ice.jpg

Pete

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
My wife went Vegan a year ago, I really enjoy the food to be honest although I have been known to eat meat when out with mates and nothing suitable available.

Vegan food seems to take longer to prep but a bit quicker to cook. My wife started with too books Naturally Sassy by Saskia Gregson-Williams and One part Plant by Jessica Murnane (both authors had medical conditions that forced a diet change) she also uses Pinterest a fair bit. She bought Deliciously Ella recently but the book does not look as well used as the others.

You may not want to eat Quorn if you read up about how it is made and you should not have too much Tofu. Make sure you get enough B12 very important I use a spray from Holland and Barret, wife uses tablets from there.

Some of the food can be even tastier than the run of mill meat dishes so don’t fear and more stuff becoming available each week at the mainstream supermarkets.

Hope your Moho has a big fridge, we love the full height one in our Elddis Encore.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Spent most of my life with a vegan and the answer to your question is a very simple ....NO

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I think avoiding heavily processed meat substitutes is sensible, given her medical issues.
For breakfast we like slow cooked (overnight) porridge made with pinhead oats and almond milk.
There are so many brilliant recipes on the web ... if on fb the Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes has some of the best. Try looking up specific chefs like Hugh Fernley Whittingstall, Simon Rimmer, Nigel Slater, Yotam Ottolenghi ... even Rose Elliot.
Use couscous, quinoa, bulgar wheat (tabbouleh), brown rice, wholewheat pasta and homemade bread using whole grain and rye flours (both contain some white flour do check with doctors).
Best recipes:
HFW Dahl with homemade tortillas
Simon Rimmer spiced chickpeas and roast potatoes
Start googling and good luck!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Might sound awful, but fresh fruit like strawberries on top of a curry is lovely.
A lot of Indians and some Morrocans are vegan. Perhaps looking at foreign recipes??

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Hi we recently had vegan housesitters and as a welcome meal made black bean burgers which were so delicious we now regularly make them. Found the recipe somewhere on line. If you can't locate it let me know and I will post another reply with the actual recipe. Enjoy

Reactions: Pia
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just bought this book and it's fabulous. Need to spend a bit of money on the spices first and then it gets quite cheap with all the lovely fresh vegetables and pulses. And every recipe is cooked in one roasting pan!!!! Hurrah! I hear the washer ups say.

Amazon product ASIN 1910931896
They also do one which includes meat.

Amazon product ASIN 1910931519

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Mr. Bun:
Morning.
Waitress:
Morning.
Mr. Bun:
What have you got, then?
Waitress:
Well there's egg and bacon; egg, sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg, bacon and spam; egg, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon and spam; spam, spam, spam, egg and spam; spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam; or lobster thermidor aux crevettes, with a mornay sauce garnished with truffle paté, brandy and a fried egg on top and spam.
Mrs. Bun:
Have you got anything without spam in it?
Waitress:
Well, there's spam, egg, sausage and spam. That's not got MUCH spam in it.
Mrs. Bun:
I don't want ANY spam.
Mr. Bun:
Why can't she have egg, bacon, spam and sausage?
Mrs. Bun:
That's got spam in it!
Mr. Bun:
Not as much as spam, egg, sausage and spam.
Mrs. Bun:
Look, could I have egg, bacon, spam and sausage, without the spam.
Waitress:
Uuuuuuggggh!
Mrs Bun:
What d'you mean, uugggh! I don't like spam.
Vikings:
(singing) Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam ... spam, spam, spam, spam ... lovely spam, wonderful spam ...

(Brief shot of a Viking ship)

Waitress:
Shut up. Shut up! Shut up! You can't have egg, bacon, spam and sausage without the spam.
Mrs. Bun:
Why not?
Waitress:
No, it wouldn't be egg, bacon, spam and sausage, would it?
Mrs. Bun:
I don't like spam!
Mr. Bun:
Don't make a fuss, dear. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam ...
Vikings:
(singing) Spam, spam, spam, spam ...
Mr. Bun:
... baked beans, spam, spam and spam.
Waitress:
Baked beans are off.
Mr. Bun:
Well can I have spam instead?
Waitress:
You mean spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam?
Vikings:
(still singing) Spam, spam, spam, spam ... (etc.)
Mr. Bun:
Yes.
Waitress:
Arrggh!
Vikings:
... lovely spam, wonderful spam.
Waitress:
Shut up! Shut up!
(The Vikings shut up momentarily. Enter the Hungarian.)

Hungarian:
Great boobies honeybun, my lower intestine is full of spam, egg, spam, bacon, spam, tomato, spam ...
Vikings:
(Singing) Spam, spam, spam, spam ...
(A policeman rushes in and bundles the Hungarian out.)

Hungarian:
(As he leaves) My nipples explode ...
(Cut to an historian) Caption, super. "A HISTORIAN"

Historian:
Another great Viking victory was at the Green Midget café at Bromley. Once again the Viking strategy was the same. They sailed from these fiords here, (indicating map with arrows on it) assembled at Trondheim and waited for the strong north-easterly winds to blow their oaken galleys to England whence they sailed on May 23rd. Once in Bromley they assembled at the Green Midget café and spam selecting a spam particular spam item from the spam menu would spam, spam, spam, spam, spam ...
Vikings:
(singing) Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, lovely spam, wonderful spam. Lovely spam, wonderful spam ...

Konokono

Free Member
Oct 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Unicat truck
Exp
Start 12 oct 2018
Check for “Buddha bowls” recipes. My family loves them! Happy eating!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just bought this book and it's fabulous. Need to spend a bit of money on the spices first and then it gets quite cheap with all the lovely fresh vegetables and pulses. And every recipe is cooked in one roasting pan!!!! Hurrah! I hear the washer ups say.

Amazon product ASIN 1910931896
They also do one which includes meat.

Amazon product ASIN 1910931519
Interested in the ‘green’ version. Do you think the recipes would work in a Remoska and a Double Skillet instead of a roasting tin in an oven?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Think you can use either as an oven. Timings might be a bit different but certainly worth a try.

Denise

Reactions: maz

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have just ordered The Green Roasting Tin and Deliciously Ella. Need some new ideas for veggie meals as like to eat veggie a couple of days a week.

Denise

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Can't see which books they are? No pictures just big spaces!

Denise

Turn off your adblocker and you will see them It's always like that with Amazon.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back