Draining water system down for winter (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Don't know if this has been mentioned before and I know its a tad early but I picked up this tip to help clear the hot and cold water pipes when preparing for the colder weather. Drain down as usual and using an inflated balloon attach it to each tap and let the balloon deflate hopefully blowing any residual water out of the tap and lines. Tried it last year and it worked ok.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I wonder if you filled the balloons with Helium, it would make the pipes squeaky clean ?:whistle::whistle:

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Also leave all the taps open , then if any residual water does freeze it can expand along the pipe instead of splitting it, worked for me for a number of years.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Forgot to say but leave taps open in mid position to cover both hot and cold feeds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I just attach the compressor to the shower hose, just make sure the other taps are open. :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I also just blow down the shower hose. Taps open and the shower head on the floor of the shower so any water can drain out. Grey tank empty and the drain tap left open.
I did have a problem last year though as heading to Spain in February the drain tap froze open so I was an involuntary grey waste dribbler for a day till it thawed.
Leaving it open helps to prevent smells as the anaerobic bugs responsible for bad tank smells don't like fresh air.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I fitted a Floe device and was very surprised how much more water it purged from the system after the normal drain down. The inflated balloon probably achieves much the same and would be cheaper.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I fitted a Floe device and was very surprised how much more water it purged from the system after the normal drain down. The inflated balloon probably achieves much the same and would be cheaper.
So what is a floe device ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Floe make devices to help drain down. My version allows you to connect a tyre pump to the system but there is a version that includes a compressor. I found it on the internet.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I wonder how many people do nothing, other than drain down, and get away with it?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
at what cost ?, November till March ??
No idea but l use a 600w greenhouse heater on frost setting. I've been doing it since our caravanning days. My off-season is mid-November to the first week in March minus a week just after New Year. There aren't too many nights during a 'normal' Winter where the temperature is below 5 deg C.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Don't know if this has been mentioned before and I know its a tad early but I picked up this tip to help clear the hot and cold water pipes when preparing for the colder weather. Drain down as usual and using an inflated balloon attach it to each tap and let the balloon deflate hopefully blowing any residual water out of the tap and lines. Tried it last year and it worked ok.
Sounds like a great idea except mine has a one way valve fitted so not quite sure how I will get all the water out of the pipes

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Drained down yesterday, for the first time since moving to a new storage site. My new parking position leaves the moho slightly tail down and this made a big difference to how much water was left in the water heater after the normal drain down.

Having let the water fully run out of the drains I followed my normal procedure and attached my tyre compressor to the Floe connector. The first indication that something was different was the sound of bubbles blowing through the water heater but no more water coming from the drain. Having closed the hot water drain I then worked through the system tap by tap. Having removed the extra litre or so that normally lies hidden in the pipes I found that there was hot water flowing out of the shower tap in the cold position. Subsequently I drained about 2 litres of hot water via the cold. My theory is that the cold inlet to the hot water heater lies at the back of the unit but the normal drain does not and that the air pressure in the sytem pushed the water back out through the cold feed.

I am satisfied that I have now drained the system properly but was very surprised by how much difference being just a little bit off level made. Not something I previously paid much attention to.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't forget to remove any bottles over winter if freezing conditions are likely. We left some TCP in a bathroom, once, and the glass bottle cracked. Took ages before the smell disappeared.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
No idea but l use a 600w greenhouse heater on frost setting. I've been doing it since our caravanning days. My off-season is mid-November to the first week in March minus a week just after New Year. There aren't too many nights during a 'normal' Winter where the temperature is below 5 deg C.
I use an oil 800w oil filled with a time clock. Works a treat through winter. IF exceptionally cold (ie below freezing, I remotely turn on the heating for an hour of so...

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
When in storage, outside storage, does anybody keep the gas bottles on and remotely turn the heating on in really cold weather - iNet system? Is is bad practice to leave the gas bottles turned on when you are not with the vehicle for a while? Would it potentially invalidate any insurance were there an issue? Does that mean you also need to keep the main control panel on? Other than those three concerns it would seem like an idea solution. Oh one more, my previous site had an issue with mice, they might find a warm motorhome more attractive than a cold one!

paulpickard

Free Member
Aug 13, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 635
Exp
4 years
Once system has been drained is there a correct procedure for refilling

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Our Moho is a Mercedes Hymer B680, so I shut the kitchen, bathroom and shower taps off, shut the valves by the truma heater including the auto shutoff valve, open the tap in the bathroom, put a rag over the tap outlet and open the tap, hot first, wait for all the air to stop, then do the same to the cold tap, then the same procedure for the shower, then the kitchen tap, when l’m sure all the air has been vented, I then refill the water tank and drain the grey waste water tank, hope that helps

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just drain our down and leave the taps open never had a problem.
Us softy southerners don't do cold.:)

Do make sure you leave mixer taps in the central position, if you don't you will find out how expensive Motorhome taps are.

Never heat the van when not in use, don't see the point of encouraging condensation.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is is bad practice to leave the gas bottles turned on when you are not with the vehicle for a while? Would it potentially invalidate any insurance were there an issue?
Ours is kept on the drive, we have the Secumotion and anti rupture valves, the gas only gets turned off on ferries.
If I didn't have those safety devices it would always be turned off apart from when in use.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Once system has been drained is there a correct procedure for refilling
It's more or less the reverse process for emptying but, if you're a 'blower', I'd leave out the sucking!
And start by closing the drain point(s), or it could be a very long job.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I always remove the pump from the bottom of the fresh water tank so that I can then blow back down the pipe from the shower with the hand basin and sink taps in the closed position. Surprising how much water runs back into the tank. If I left the pump in place, the non-return valve stops the water from draining. I then leave the taps in the open position and with the pump having been removed, the pump is not activated.
I made up a fitting on a short length of hose that fits tight into the waste traps so that I can blow the water out of the shallow traps, so as to prevent them splitting if frozen. I tip any water out of the pump and leave to dry out ready for re-fitting in the Spring.
Been doing it this way for many years and not had any problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back