smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Do people who don't like driving buy Motorhomes?

I ask because of the number of people who take their motorhome on a ferry to Spain missing out on a great drive through France.

I realise that for those in the South West cost may well be a factor.

When I am going through France to Spain in the winter it is mostly driving, walking the dog & sleeping but the journey north in the spring is the best part of the trip & takes weeks.

Are they frustrated sailors, ex matelots or is there something I just don't get?::bigsmile:

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Personal choice? We would always take the road option but that's because it suits us. We don't generally have the time pressure of having to get there and back quickly.

Not sure cost is much of a consideration but, I haven't actually worked the comparison of ferry vs fuel etc.

We enjoy the journey as much as the destination so its a no-brainer for us.

Have crossed the Bay of Biscay a few times with other vehicles and that would have been enough to convince me to go by road anyway :Eeek:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
For us , with not being retired , it would be down to the time saved to get to our favored destination.
And the fact we have 2 weeks at a time, 3 kids and 2 dogs also comes into it ::bigsmile:
More time to explore in our chosen area.
Once we are child free and have all the time in the world it will be a different matter:thumb:
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
There are plenty of Snowbirds who cross via Bibao or Santander and scurry as quickly as they can down to their winter camp site, stay in the one place for up to 6 months and then scurry back the same way. They do this year after year and I for one don't get it.

It would probably be just as cost effective to rent an apartment and fly over for the winter.
Each to his or her own I guess.

Pete:Cool:

PS you could see the panic starting to set in when they heard that the Bilbao route was being withdrawn.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Hi

I think it was marco polo who said the only way to see the world is by road.

georgio

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
there isnt much of a difference in price for us between a road trip or ferry crossing have done both, we take the road as a norm as the dog enjoys the journey better when with us rather than being in a kennel on the ferry. Mind some folk might get good deals if they know their dates of travel really early in the year for the ferry. I usually get a few weeks notice from my other half as to when we can take time off, this year is different though as we have to be somewhere for a certain date so i have got a cheaper crossing than normal for us, I have never booked a crossing so early before.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Think that was the Silk Road between India and China.... and I don't think he was a motorhomer :roflmto:

No but he was a Caravanner:ROFLMAO:

Pete:Cool:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 9

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bikers are the same

I ride/have ridden all across Europe, always using Dunkerque as the kick off point

Yet I know lots of riders who hop the Santander ferry !
They miss out on the great french coastal roads and only get the crappy Spanish things !

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As someone else posted it is surely a personal choice.

Why taking the ferry should bother someone who always goes by road (or vice versa) is, frankly, beyond me.

A bit like Marmite I guess.

Live and let live springs to mind.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It would probably be just as cost effective to rent an apartment and fly over for the winter.
Each to his or her own I guess.

Absolutely .. no argument, but there is more to it than simple economics.

The snowbirds enjoy the friendship and meeting others on a site ..

We once spent three months at Roquetas Camping and the atmosphere and friendship between all nations was quite special .. something you wouldn't get stuck in an apartment. Several Brits we met had caravans on site which they stored there so taking the ferry made it a shorter trip by car.

So I think it's a lifestyle choice rather than a financial one.

Never done the ferry, as others have said, for us it is the journey that's important, not the arriving.

OP
OP
smifee

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
As someone else posted it is surely a personal choice.

Why taking the ferry should bother someone who always goes by road (or vice versa) is, frankly, beyond me.

A bit like Marmite I guess.

Live and let live springs to mind.

You never stop learning so I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something I might enjoy.

I love driving and that's one of my main reasons for having a motorhome. It's also great to just stop when seeing a good place to walk the dog and/or have lunch.

Happy to live & let live (see thread header) but I still haven't 'seen the light' and I HATE Marmite::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
No offence was intended Smifee.

I haven't actually been on the ferry but I admit that I do quite fancy it - just for a change.

However I am tied by the school holidays and it is very expensive then. Drove down to the Costa brava about a month ago for half term. We only did one stop over each way which I found a bit tiring and the kids found it boring. Great week down there though.

When I am retired I look forward to meandering down through France instead of bombing down the toll roads!

OP
OP
smifee

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
No offence was intended Smifee.

I haven't actually been on the ferry but I admit that I do quite fancy it - just for a change.

However I am tied by the school holidays and it is very expensive then. Drove down to the Costa brava about a month ago for half term. We only did one stop over each way which I found a bit tiring and the kids found it boring. Great week down there though.

When I am retired I look forward to meandering down through France instead of bombing down the toll roads!

None taken Treacle

Retirement is great but I keep finding things I enjoy doing & people pay me to do them. Latest temptation is to take a van to Italy & back about 6 times a year. Have said yes but it might not happen.

I suffer from 'I wonder where that road goes syndrome' so being on a boat is not for me.

Wife went on a criuse but it's my idea of hell so I went MHing instead.::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wish people would pay me to do what I enjoy doing.

Can't see it happening somehow:cry:

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
For us , with not being retired , it would be down to the time saved to get to our favored destination.
And the fact we have 2 weeks at a time, 3 kids and 2 dogs also comes into it ::bigsmile:
More time to explore in our chosen area.
Once we are child free and have all the time in the world it will be a different matter:thumb:
Bev

Same

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back