Does your motorhome match these requirements? (1 Viewer)

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Or does it match most? Or can you think of one that does? And what have I forgotten to remember, please ... I'd really welcome thoughts and opinions on any vans that may come close.

- Under £30k and up to five years old
- Payload greater than 500 kg
- Bunk beds
- Garage
- Generous overcab space with window(preferably one that pulls down really low to give a huuuuge amount of head space, as on the hymer I saw today)
- Shower space that's separate from the loo (ie not a wet room)
- A dinette that really is comfortable for evening lounging/drinking wine/reading books.
- Prob no longer than 6.5m
- Kitchen that I can cook in - ie that has enough space for food prep, has an oven and that I won't have a three year old under my feet (maybe end kitchen?)
- Good sized fridge with a freezer bit in
- Plenty of fresh water storage
- Would quite like it to be winterised
- As short a rear overhang as possible
- And, although I think this is unlikely to be possible, on a Ford Chassis for preference.

I really would be grateful for any input!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Our Adria 670sk (2006) matches all except im not sure what you mean by the wet room shower bit? we have a seperate toilet, and shower but all in the same room.
If you like have a look here
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sju6AXYIMdY&feature=related[/ame]

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
- Under £30k and up to five years old - Yes-
Payload greater than 500 kg - Yes, uprated to 3700kg
- Bunk beds - Yes
- Garage - Yes
- Generous overcab space with window(preferably one that pulls down really low to give a huuuuge amount of head space, as on the hymer I saw today) - Yes but not pull down
- Shower space that's separate from the loo (ie not a wet room) - Yes
- A dinette that really is comfortable for evening lounging/drinking wine/reading books. - Yes
- Prob no longer than 6.5m - Yes-
Kitchen that I can cook in - ie that has enough space for food prep, has an oven and that I won't have a three year old under my feet (maybe end kitchen?) - Yes, but no oven
- Good sized fridge with a freezer bit in - Yes
- Plenty of fresh water storage - Yes, 100 ltrs
- Would quite like it to be winterised - Yes, spent all winter in it with no problems
- As short a rear overhang as possible - Shortish!!
- And, although I think this is unlikely to be possible, on a Ford Chassis for preference. - No it's a Fiat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think i would look for something on an iveco daily chassis .forget playing around with 3.5 or 3.8 .get something a bit beefy to start with.

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
Or does it match most? Or can you think of one that does? And what have I forgotten to remember, please ... I'd really welcome thoughts and opinions on any vans that may come close.

- Under £30k and up to five years old
- Payload greater than 500 kg
- Bunk beds
- Garage
- Generous overcab space with window(preferably one that pulls down really low to give a huuuuge amount of head space, as on the hymer I saw today)
- Shower space that's separate from the loo (ie not a wet room)
- A dinette that really is comfortable for evening lounging/drinking wine/reading books.
- Prob no longer than 6.5m
- Kitchen that I can cook in - ie that has enough space for food prep, has an oven and that I won't have a three year old under my feet (maybe end kitchen?)
- Good sized fridge with a freezer bit in
- Plenty of fresh water storage
- Would quite like it to be winterised
- As short a rear overhang as possible
- And, although I think this is unlikely to be possible, on a Ford Chassis for preference.

I really would be grateful for any input!

The first thing on my list would be fuel economy... no good having it if costs you an arm and a leg for fuel to run it.

tonybrightspark

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Our Adria 670sk (2006) matches all except im not sure what you mean by the wet room shower bit? we have a seperate toilet, and shower but all in the same room.
If you like have a look here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sju6AXYIMdY&feature=related

Haganap - that looks like it would fit the bill, thank you! I hadn't got it that make on my list as I don't think I've come across them in the flesh. Yes, that's exactly what I mean about the bathroom - the shower is separated from the loo, rather than everywhere getting soggy when you shower. Could you tell me what your payload is, please? And does the half dinette with the swivel chair thing work comfortably in practice? I thnk I like the idea of it kind of extending the living space into the cab to give more room ...t

Payload greater than 500 kg - Yes, uprated to 3700kg

How much payload did you have before the uprating, please?

- No it's a Fiat
I did have your van on my shortlist as it seemed to tick all boxes other than the Ford chassis. I think a test drive may be in order ....

think i would look for something on an iveco daily chassis .forget playing around with 3.5 or 3.8 .get something a bit beefy to start with.
Ha! I'm not entirely sure I'm a beefy kind of lass, to be honest :Blush: Actually, I was just trying to avoid paying extra on French tolls etc - and perhaps leave the option open for my dad to drive it - I'm not sure if he would or if he just likes to think he would, but he's restricted to 3.5. I'll just go off and google to see what iveco throws up ....

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
The first thing on my list would be fuel economy... no good having it if costs you an arm and a leg for fuel to run it.

tonybrightspark

Yes, that's def one I should list ... I do keep thinking about it but deciding there's too many variables (how heavily laden the MHs are, how heavy the driver's right foot is, whether they're being driven at a steady 60 on the motorway or faster ...). But you're right, I should add it to my spreadsheet :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
to be honest driving you cant tell the differance .the germans do lots of conversions on them. dont worry about tolls i never use toll roads the n roads in france are great. niesman biscoff (or something)do some lovelly ones. but i say get at least 4.5 ton . then you can bring some samples home.
cheers alan

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
How much payload did you have before the uprating, please?

500 kg

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok before I retire to bed I will give you a rather long answer so apologies in advance.

Advice is often given but not always taken. I know some meaning well people will offer advice but in honesty some of the questions you are asking are going to leave you with little to look for.

Firstly fuel economy. Nearly all vans are the same in terms of fuel economy and thats fact.

anywhere between 20 -30 mpg, some tell me they have a 2.8 ducatto like mine and get 28-30. I am lucky to get 22 and sometimes as low as 20 mpg. Fuel economy is about how you drive. I drive fast, always have done, and if im going some where i want to get there end of. I once got my van to nearly 30 mpg driving from Cheshire to Dover at 50mph. it took me over 5 hours. i was bored rigid. When I am older and have more time it will be a pleasure to enjoy the scenery but in general if Im off skiin gi will enjoy the scenery when I get there. So in essence dont rule out a van if the layouts right but someone tells you economy aint right.

Payload, your right to ask the question as rarely people do but, are you living in it? is there an issue about you driving entitlement? if so and it has to be 3.5 ton you will struggle whatever the payload is. mine is uprated to 4.2 to remain inside the law but essentially is no different to a 3.5t van, and was a 3.5t van before uprating. The payload on nearly all 3.5t vans is inadequate end of. If you are asking about bunks which presumably is for sleeping capacity then any van at 3.5t is going to struggle to match your payload. The answer? travel lighter, take less, get water when you get there, dont buy expensive accessories untill they are weighed, gas bottles pots pans and wine all make a difference, be careful with them and you might just lay on our payload.

Base Vechile- well here we go again, people will advise you to splash out on a Merc, or a ford, "dont get a fiat etc" well Im on my second fiat and love them, ultra simple and ultra reliable. Many will scare you off with "juddergate" yet so many motor homers ive met are more than happy with there fiats, I for one would not want to change. The most important thing for me would be getting the layout right, Once that's right in modern day terms it would not bother me what base it is on. For your money you will be looking at a 2006 and earlier model. This is the best model anyway, thoroughly designed and a real work horse which in essence is what its about.

Now as to your direct question to me, the dining area works very well. The bed actually slides away over the cab creating more head room, its out in 20 seconds, no bed making. the rear as you will see in the video has a seperate dinner area which also acts as a bed, or a sofa.

Lastly, you are doing the right thing asking all the questions. However all this will eventually do is lead to uncertainty. At some point your going to have to Jump. when you do there will be something you wished you had or wished you didn't. Thats a fact on whatever you get until you get it right. Our previous van was a 656 which we loved but we out grew it as my kids are 13 and 12 and cooped up round a dinning area in winter time was hard work. they now have there own bit of space.

An alternative to ours would be the CI gtl living range like Ralph and Bev have. they too are a nice van but probably a struggle to get in your 30k budget.

Whatever you buy you will end up looking at others and thinking this or that so go for it, take a leap and a jump and live with it. Adapt to the van you chose or adapt the van you choose to you. Whatever you do, don't waste another weekend with out one as otherwise by the time you jump life would of passed you by, so good luck.:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Buy an RV. Ticks all the boxes and its on a Ford chassis with autobox and a huge payload. The B+ class is ideal as its very narrow compared to most RVs. Ours was only 93" wide but had 3 slide outs that made it enormous when parked up.

Winnebago do the Aspect based on a Ford or Mercedes chassis and it is superb see here

Link Removed

They are available 2nd hand as they have been around now for about 5 years. Also left hand drive if you plan to go abroad a lot.

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Haganap - thank you very much for your reply, it was very useful and detailed and has made me think again about my reasons. I do like to get as much advice as I can - it's impossible to take it all cos sometimes it's conflicting, but I do need to hear it all.

The logic behind my wishlist goes something like this:-

Although I suspect the van will be mostly used for weekends and odd weeks here and there, we are planning to do three months on the continent in it before J starts school. So payload and space in the layout is crucial.

I'm sharing this van with my sister, who is a little nervous about driving it, hence the preference for Fords as she's comfortable with their cabs from driving her own car. It's not an essential element though, just a desirable one.

My dad is putting money into this purchase - I don't think he's likely to drive it but, if we go over 3.5, he definitely won't be able to and that would seem a shame ... Otherwise, everyone else driving it will have no licence restrictions. Maybe this is the one I really need to address as I'm not really sure whether he wants to drive it or if it's just a dream ...

The berths issue - I'd originally had J in the overcab bed, us sleeping in an end lounge bed (we all have v different sleep patterns so wanted to leave the option of one person being able to stay up in the dinette) but end lounge seemed to mean long overhang, which would give us storage issues on our steep drive.

I'd originally really wanted an end kitchen but have ditched that one - I'm trying to be realistic, honest :winky:

Whatever you buy you will end up looking at others and thinking this or that so go for it, take a leap and a jump and live with it. Adapt to the van you chose or adapt the van you choose to you. Whatever you do, don't waste another weekend with out one as otherwise by the time you jump life would of passed you by, so good luck.:thumb:

And this bit might just be the bit I need to pay most heed to :Doh: ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Buy an RV. Ticks all the boxes and its on a Ford chassis with autobox and a huge payload. The B+ class is ideal as its very narrow compared to most RVs. Ours was only 93" wide but had 3 slide outs that made it enormous when parked up.

Winnebago do the Aspect based on a Ford or Mercedes chassis and it is superb see here

Link Removed

They are available 2nd hand as they have been around now for about 5 years. Also left hand drive if you plan to go abroad a lot.

Dazzer - you've just opened my eyes to a whole new world! I'd no idea that you could get a "normal-sized" MH with slide outs - I thought it was just restricted to the big RVs!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Dazzer - you've just opened my eyes to a whole new world! I'd no idea that you could get a "normal-sized" MH with slide outs - I thought it was just restricted to the big RVs!

Glad to be of service. There is a huge range of B+ Class RVs. Have a look here. This site is the biggest RV dealer in the USA and supplied me with my last 2 RVs. :thumb:

http://www.lazydays.com/AdvancedSearchResults.aspx?NewUsed=U&classType=C&make=&model=&length=&slides=&msrp=&mileage=&ArrivalDate=&ctl00$advancedSearch$AdvSrch.x=68&ctl00$advancedSearch$AdvSrch.y=21&Sort=Class

If you need any help drop me a PM. :winky:

Not sure why it didnt come up as a link but if you copy and paste into your browser it will work

Cheers

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, if your dad as b+e on his licence then he could drive a 5er .no weight probs then with the right set up.
vehicle up to 3,500kg can tow any weight trailer so lng as it doesnt break the train weight of the towing unit.

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
hi, if your dad as b+e on his licence then he could drive a 5er .no weight probs then with the right set up.
vehicle up to 3,500kg can tow any weight trailer so lng as it doesnt break the train weight of the towing unit.

Thanks Alan - will ask him whether he has. I think on balance I'd rather stop with a MH than a 5er though .... Just don't ask me for good reasons why!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back