Fancy a drive to Barcelona in October? (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi,
have got 3 weeks off work from October 9th, and planning to head to Barcelona ::bigsmile:riving2: to meet up with FUNSTERS Bill and Carole from the ITALIAN JOB this year.::bigsmile:

Anyone else want to come along? Weather should be good!!

Let me know

Sue

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are thinking of a drive through France around that time,to get to Spain, maybe get hubby to finally do it with a bit of coaxing:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi,
have got 3 weeks off work from October 9th, and planning to head to Barcelona ::bigsmile:riving2: to meet up with FUNSTERS Bill and Carole from the ITALIAN JOB this year.::bigsmile:

Anyone else want to come along? Weather should be good!!

Let me know

Sue

Going end of September and meandering down via the South of France. Will be flying through "Bandit Alley" around the 10th/11th October heading for the winter quarters.

Pete:Cool:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
We're going to be heading down that way at around that time - we're going to the Fete de l'angouille (Eelfest) in St Laurent, near Perpignan on October 3rd - well worth a diversion if you're in the area at that time - and then getting the Barcelona - Genoa ferry the following weekend. Good to meet up if it all works to plan.

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Looking at Camping Vilanova, Barcelona till 17 Oct,
Link Removed

then Bonterra Park, Castello Link Removed

By the way, What is Bandit Alley?????:Eeek:

S.

loneranger

Free Member
Apr 14, 2010
Funster No
I guess bandit alley is the motorways ??? Vicarious Books do not recommend stopping longer than necessary in any of their service stations and definitely not overnighting.

I am certainly interested in joining you as I had planned on going to Spain this autumn. I have the books and the map . . .

RedSonja would have introduced us at Stratford but you were nowhere to be seen.

I was admiring your van :)

Ann

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Looking at Camping Vilanova, Barcelona till 17 Oct,
Link Removed

then Bonterra Park, Castello Link Removed

S.

"Bandit Alley" is the motorway section between Perpignan and Barcelona where you do not overnight on services and you watch out for the unmarked police car scam. You do not stop for anyone other than the flashing blue headlights of a genuine police car.
Best not to stop for fuel either if you can avoid it as the towrags are just waiting for the unsuspecting.
The N roads are not that safe either, so if you plan to stop in that area you should use a campsite.
October is a good time for the villains as snowbirds from all over Europe are heading to Spain for the winter.

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
"Bandit Alley" is the motorway section between Perpignan and Barcelona where you do not overnight on services and you watch out for the unmarked police car scam. You do not stop for anyone other than the flashing blue headlights of a genuine police car.
Best not to stop for fuel either if you can avoid it as the towrags are just waiting for the unsuspecting.
The N roads are not that safe either, so if you plan to stop in that area you should use a campsite.
October is a good time for the villains as snowbirds from all over Europe are heading to Spain for the winter.

Blimey - thats it!! Staying in Essex :rain: :ROFLMAO:
S

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

S.

:winky: Do NOT stop at the AP7 Service stations around Barcelona longer than necessary and do NOT leave the Motorhome unattended at ANY time.
One OTHER thing.Do NOT stop if jestured to by another Motorist suggesting you have a problem. :thumb:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
:winky: Do NOT stop at the AP7 Service stations around Barcelona longer than necessary and do NOT leave the Motorhome unattended at ANY time.
One OTHER thing.Do NOT stop if jestured to by another Motorist suggesting you have a problem. :thumb:

We spotted this scam the other week - bloke stood next to a white Volvo on that road, trying to flag down motorists. Funnily enough I saw it last year around Beziers and that was a Volvo as well. Blinkin' antique dealers!

Luckily, The Rosabella wouldn't be a particularly good catch - in fact, if anybody sees a bald-headed fat bloke stood next to a white Ducato panel-van conversion, flagging down traffic, DEFINITELY STOP!! :thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi

Totally agree we were confronted by the unmarked police car just on the outskirts of Barcelona, bar???teds and that has put us off visiting Spain.

If I were going again I would try to get up a small convoy for protection, I did read on another web site some time ago that there was a suggestion a lot of the French meet up before traversing through certain known problem areas, can't confirm if its true but it would make sense.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I'm not trying to put anyone off going to Spain it's a great country to visit.
If you're aware of the dangers of travelling across Europe then you are likely to be more careful.
The chances of getting robbed are pretty slim, and can be made even slimmer by being aware.

I got robbed on the A75 services at Millau last August and frankly it was my fault as I let my guard slip. Could have said I got gassed:ROFLMAO: Has it put me off? Not a chance!

Plenty of people get robbed in the UK so why should Spain and France etc. be any different.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Totally agree about the possibility of being robbed anywhere, but if you know or are made aware of a possible problem area then most people do all that they can to avoid that place, no matter what country you are in,

The unfortunate problem with Spain in my opinion that most of the main routes into the country suffer from the same scum trying to rob people in one way or another, which is why I have decide to avoid going there as it appears whether you take the west coast crossing at San Sebastion or the route we have been talking about you will at some point have to run a gauntlet e.g Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona and the parts of France that connect.

I'm not anti any country but if I have to run a gauntlet of areas that are wildly known to be areas where people get robbed, I avoid them

I'm not trying to put anyone off going to Spain it's a great country to visit.
If you're aware of the dangers of travelling across Europe then you are likely to be more careful.
The chances of getting robbed are pretty slim, and can be made even slimmer by being aware.

I got robbed on the A75 services at Millau last August and frankly it was my fault as I let my guard slip. Could have said I got gassed:ROFLMAO: Has it put me off? Not a chance!

Plenty of people get robbed in the UK so why should Spain and France etc. be any different.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I drove down to L'escala on that route in the MH about 4 weeks ago.

I was blissfully unaware of its reputation.

Fortunately I had no problems

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
We are travelling that direction about then. Although planning to stay L'Estartit - Palafrugel area on Costa Brava unless weather not too good than maybe further south. No definate plans yet so will keep it in mind.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we are going over on the 26th september dover calais crossing, will end up in san miguel de salinas for a family party.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you are looking for safe open-all-year campsites, don't forget Parc Verger (www.parcverger.com) near Limoges - we'll lay in the beers! Third Sunday in October is fete day in the village (you could win a piglet - that's Christmas lunch solved) and fourth Sunday in October is the Chestnut fair at Dournazac, just down the road.

So there is plenty to stop off for! Cheers

Bob and Di

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
All booked. Leaving Dover Sat 9 Oct for 3 weeks. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

S.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Travels to Spain

Hi Sue,
We are planning to sail on the Friday morning of the 8th October stopping en route once in France & then going onto Cambrils in Spain. We will be sticking mainly to the motorways due to the sheer distance of the 2nd day of travel & we don't go over 60 mph, if this is of any interest to you please get in touch. :Smile: Rhian & Clive (Griffs)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We are setting off for France on the 5th September and will be in Santa Suzanna, Bon Repos, from about the middle of September until the 20th October, so if anyone wants to join us on the beach on their way down to Barcelona we look forward to seeing you.

With regards to 'bandit alley' we have been going to Spain twice a year for the last 4 years and have never had a problem. We realise there are theives and con artists everywhere you go nowadays, you have to use common sense and intuition wherever you go - as Jim always says 'trust your gut, if it doesn't feel right, drive on, dont take unnecessary risks and never stop on motorways overnight.

Whatever you do, don't let the fear of what might happen stop you enjoying your life and having a wonderful holiday. If you start going down that route you will end up never leaving the house!!!

Ginny and Mike

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Fancy a drive to barcelona?

Yup, made it down in 3 days. Had a couple of nice stop and the drive and down to Millau was stunning. Went over the bridge (thanks brisey) .

Am sitting in sun (factor 30!) with nice cold drink, approx 23 degrees, wondering how I will get back to UK to work with no fuel:Eeek:

Happy days.....:ROFLMAO:

S.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sue, gotta admire your spirit... you don't half get about.... pleased you having such a good time ... What! No fuel? Awwww, best stay there even longer then and tell em we all gave you permission.... Sounds brilliant.

Don't forget some photos please.:thumb: Joy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
wondering how I will get back to UK to work with no fuel:Eeek:

S.

SERIOUS !

Worst case if desperate, head to Santander. We've paid £640 return so if you MUST get back that's an idea of cost.

I fancy coming back via Barcelona in Feb, where are you staying and have you seen the aire/car park near the Olympics area ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Yup, made it down in 3 days. Had a couple of nice stop and the drive and down to Millau was stunning. Went over the bridge (thanks brisey) .

Am sitting in sun (factor 30!) with nice cold drink, approx 23 degrees, wondering how I will get back to UK to work with no fuel:Eeek:

S.

Sue well done you, sounds as if the weather is being really kind to you keep enjoying it, would not bother to rush back weathers horrible here today.:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Sue

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your drive across the Millau Viaduct.:thumb:
You sure have clocked up a few miles this year.::bigsmile:
I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get back home, weather in London is not good at the moment, cold and wet today.:cry:
Safe travels
Brisey (Brian & Pam)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back