First timer! (2 Viewers)

cookie_boy2000

Free Member
Jun 20, 2010
Spalding, Lincs
Funster No
Hello everyone. Firstly let me bore you with the reason for my question being asked..............my wife & I have decided to get one hell of a loan and take my 2 sons, their wives and our 5 year old grandaughter for the trip of a lifetime to the USA. The first leg of the trip will be 10 days from San Francisco onto Los Angeles then to Las Vegas. For this leg of the trip (we're then flying from LV to FLorida then onto NY for 11 days), I want to hire a 7 person RV so we can cruise the west coast and not worry about having to book hotels etc etc. A few people have tried to turn me off the idea as apparently even though the 32" RVs say they sleep 7 it will be very cramped. I reckon we can overcome this but the main point of my post is this (and thanks for reading this far!): The biggest thing I have ever driven is a transit van! I am looking at taking a couple of lessons here in the UK to see if I want to drive an RV in the US or go with the 12 seater and hotel option (i'd rather not do that last one).

Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions that will help me overcome my reservations about driving an RV? The most driving on the "other side of the road" is a shopping trip to Belguim in my car!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sounds like a recipe for disaster to a blunt northerner. Family Christmases can be hell on earth and that's with room for people to hide away and lasts only a day or two.

This just reminds me of when my daughter's father in law did this as a fly drive to a villa, they still cringe at the bickering.

RV - you can only stop where you can park one, so when you say NY just how close do you expect to go. Whenever you want to see "something" you'll need to hire a vehicle or taxis, unless it's a big expensive attraction like Disney with RV parking. There's no privacy with that many in an RV.

Just my two penneth, ignore me and I'll go away.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Welcome to the FUN site and it sounds like you are going to have some serious fun :thumb:
I'm am sure someone will be along soon with some good advice for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cookie_boy2000

cookie_boy2000

Free Member
Jun 20, 2010
Spalding, Lincs
Funster No
Hilldweller, The RV part of the holiday is only on the west coast. We're leaving it at LV then flying to Florida then onto NYC.

Re: bickering - yeah that will no doubt happen - my 2 sons have already got bets on who will be involved and what over!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Cookie, There is a lady called Chatter who will probably be able to give you some positive advice on what you ask. She has been away at Prestwold so I doubt will be on the forum till tomorrow but I will phone her and ask her to look at your post... I am sure you will be able to get some reallly useful information from her. She is lovely and really good at explainging things.:thumb:

oakeyfamily

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Hi there,

I have just had a little chat about your posting with my husband, sat here in the sun in Wyoming on our lap tops. We have only been RVing for a month. We bought it in Houston and plan to stay 6 months. So far we LOVE it. But I dont drive it - YET.

I asked him what he would advise. He said he thought your best option would be to go down the 12 seater/hotel accom route mainly because of money really. He has found it quite easy to park, drive and manouvre a 35' RV but was a fire engine driver before retiring in April. The cost to hire an RV is around 1000/week, plus fuel, plus camp sites which are between 30 and 50 dollars a night but we have heard are much more on the West coast (where you are going).

However, RVing is fun. You get to meet lots of people, stay in varied sites and the views from the high up camper/windows are magnificent. We have never had a problem getting a site for our size vehicle - but of course havent gone to the West coast yet but met others who have and urged us to do it and they dont appear to have had a problem. Many many americans spend their holidays like this and so the whole country appears to be set up for RVs. James says to perhaps have some lessons in a local farmer's cattle truck for manouvering, parking and judging distance etc.

Good luck with the decision making and dont be put off by family arguments. That's all part of life. Just watch the film "RV" right to the end and you will see that they loved it! Arguments and all.

James and Stella

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hilldweller, The RV part of the holiday is only on the west coast. We're leaving it at LV then flying to Florida then onto NYC.

Re: bickering - yeah that will no doubt happen - my 2 sons have already got bets on who will be involved and what over!

Have you noticed this thread:
Link Removed

Get chatting to him, he knows the USA well.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I had no problem at all in driving a 28 Foot rv in the states and I wouldnt have any problem in driving a larger one.

We did a similar route too yours. Picked up the rv in LA, stayed in LA for a while doing Disney and the Beaches etc, did my shouder in showing off on Muscle Beach. :Blush:

Then across the desert, Palm Springs, Hoover Dam,LV. Then too SF, had a ball there.

Then down the coast road back to LA. The coast road is beautifull by the way.

Best of Luck whatever you decide to do.

Jim
:Smile:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
let me be quite clear ; I love the motorhome life and it is my preferred method of travel ...I take it when you say RV I presume you actually are talking about a motorhome , don't forget that a recreational vehicle can be a caravan , a toyhauler , a 5th wheel etc

I have owned a motorhome in the USA and travelled long term and widely ...but for what you are suggesting I wouldn't even consider it ! just too much hastle finding stopping places and then transport to whatever you want to see would ruin it for me

the USA is the land of the motel [ yes , I've done that as well with a rental ]; reservation ? never made one any more than an american would

the only thing I would do is reserve a minibus and arrange to drop it off in LV
SF is nice enough , half a day should do it unless you are going to alcatraz , LA is hell on earth , would never go there again even if you paid me , LV a couple of days [ and nights] should do it , do the hoover dam visit
best bit of your trip for me would be route 1 from SF to LA , big sur /monterray , the spanish mission towns

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
let me be quite clear ; I love the motorhome life and it is my preferred method of travel ...I take it when you say RV I presume you actually are talking about a motorhome , don't forget that a recreational vehicle can be a caravan , a toyhauler , a 5th wheel etc

I have owned a motorhome in the USA and travelled long term and widely ...but for what you are suggesting I wouldn't even consider it ! just too much hastle finding stopping places and then transport to whatever you want to see would ruin it for me

the USA is the land of the motel [ yes , I've done that as well with a rental ]; reservation ? never made one any more than an american would

the only thing I would do is reserve a minibus and arrange to drop it off in LV
SF is nice enough , half a day should do it unless you are going to alcatraz , LA is hell on earth , would never go there again even if you paid me , LV a couple of days [ and nights] should do it , do the hoover dam visit
best bit of your trip for me would be route 1 from SF to LA , big sur /monterray , the spanish mission towns

I comment in peace.
How on earth you can do SF in one half day is beyond me.

Jim

Ails40

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Scots girl in London
Funster No
Exp
We have hired for 8 years, only just bought our first MH
Hi, we hired a RV from San Diego and drove up the coastal route 1 to San Fransisco about 6 years ago. I was a 34 year old woman!! :Eeek: driving a 30 foot RV - hadn't had any experience whatsoever of driving this sort of vehicle and after a 2 hour handover, we were away. I loved driving it, the roads were good and it was easy to handle. We found plenty of places to stay and had a fantastic time. Highly recommend it.

Have a great time, whatever decision you make.

Aileen

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I comment in peace.
Jim

Rather depends what you are after.

Art, the same European art you can get here.

Culture, what culture ?

A quick walk by Fisherman's Wharf got the feel of the place pretty quickly. A bit cute and European looking.

That's been my impression of the USA which has always been on business with a few days off. The lasting impression is one of Third World. Big cities are the same all over the world but get out of them in the USA and tatty is what sticks in my mind, I've seen places that look like run down cow sheds with people living in them. Vehicles you could not bribe a bent MOT tester to pass. Quite an eye opener.

OP
OP
cookie_boy2000

cookie_boy2000

Free Member
Jun 20, 2010
Spalding, Lincs
Funster No
Thanks for the feedback/suggestions and comments, it's really appreciated.

Regarding the 2 hour handover, is that showing you around the rv etc or going out in it with the hire person?

I was thinking of seeing if I could take a couple of lessons driving a coach - not too sure if that's possible though!

Please do keep the suggestions etc coming!

iluvmyrv

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
7 years
Great country for touring in an RV - the roads are made for it and the campsites are great.Driving down the West Coast is a fantastic trip - we started in Portland,Oregon - loved it! Also,went over the border into Canada and drove through the Rockies and down too Niagara Falls. If you want too avoid touristy areas try Montana/Dakota areas - stunning scenery! It is expensive too hire an RV, but if there are other family members split the cost like we did.Good luck with your plans and enjoy whatever you decide!!:thumb:

e20rod

Free Member
Mar 8, 2010
Inverurie
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just started!
We hired an RV for 10 days in October last year, picked up in New York, dropped off in Chicago. We had 5 nights in an apartment in New York first. Driving was no problem, the roads are huge, car parks are huge, everything's huge. Most places have specific motorhome parking, we never found parking or access an issue. We mostly used Kamp Grounds of Americas (google KOA) sites. They're a bit cheesy, but good facilities.

The one we hired was 33ft 7 berth overcab one. We were 2 adults and 2 teenagers. It was comfortable for our party, but 7 would be quite cramped, although do-able as long as you all get along well!

Cheers,

Rod.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I comment in peace.

Jim

Agreed Jim, we only scratched the surface in 9 days. so much to see and do you would need a month.
we must have done a hundred miles on the cable cars and trolley buses visiting different places every time.
you can spend a whole day exploring sausalitto's art galleries alone.
another day for alcatraz, though we didnt do that one.
another two days for chinatown.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions that will help me overcome my reservations about driving an RV?
thanks

Hi sounds like this is a little dunting, I may be able to offer some assistance that may help you make your mind up as to which way you want to go.

I own a Driver Training School and my motorhome (35' A class deisel pusher) is insured as a training vehicle, whilst you wouldn't be able to drive it on the road without a provisional HGV licence, I do have a mile long airfield which is four lanes wide and can be used as a road which can be driven on the left or the right, this won't require a provisional licence.

Just a thought if any help let me know.

Good luck with the venture Rick.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Two hours?

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions and comments, it's really appreciated.

Regarding the 2 hour handover, is that showing you around the rv etc or going out in it with the hire person?

I was thinking of seeing if I could take a couple of lessons driving a coach - not too sure if that's possible though!

Please do keep the suggestions etc coming!

Boy two hours? Camping world took 20 minutes and that was it, you were on your own. But to be honest other than knowing how to work the cooker, and other domestic items and how the black and grey tanks worked it was a very fast hand over. Mind you the fact we had an A class in the UK in those days (now have a Winnebago B class) I suspect the hand over person got the idea we knew what was what.

The roads are built for an RV, excepting New York City and I suspect a lot of other major towns. But you can get around San Dieago OK in one. LA? not a lot of fun. But the camp sites are good, but expensive and you do have to remember if you want to get off the site it is by taxi or walk. We did hire a car while we stayed on a Disney camp site one year in Florida and that helped. But if you are on the move it can cause an issue if you want to get in to the tourist places.

We found we could park (including over night) in Wal Mart and K Mart car parks if you parked at the back of the lot and of course we did our shopping in these stores. But lots and lots of camp sites.. put us to shame over here. Nearly every pitch has a tv hookup (cable) your own grey/black dump and water connected to the RV. Plus often it is drive in and rive out pitch with lots and lots of room.

Go for it... driving an RV in the USA or here in the UK for that matter is not hard.

Bob

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello everyone. Firstly let me bore you with the reason for my question being asked..............my wife & I have decided to get one hell of a loan and take my 2 sons, their wives and our 5 year old grandaughter for the trip of a lifetime to the USA. The first leg of the trip will be 10 days from San Francisco onto Los Angeles then to Las Vegas. For this leg of the trip (we're then flying from LV to FLorida then onto NY for 11 days), I want to hire a 7 person RV so we can cruise the west coast and not worry about having to book hotels etc etc. A few people have tried to turn me off the idea as apparently even though the 32" RVs say they sleep 7 it will be very cramped. I reckon we can overcome this but the main point of my post is this (and thanks for reading this far!): The biggest thing I have ever driven is a transit van! I am looking at taking a couple of lessons here in the UK to see if I want to drive an RV in the US or go with the 12 seater and hotel option (i'd rather not do that last one).

Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions that will help me overcome my reservations about driving an RV? The most driving on the "other side of the road" is a shopping trip to Belguim in my car!

Any info would be greatly appreciated. QUOTE ]

Have you spoken to the wives about the holiday ? All sat down together , i guess you will have.

We love motorhoming , as a family , but as Bryan ( hildweller ) pointed out , all of you together ?? I wouldn't want to do it with my own parents and brothers , let alone the in-laws:Blush:
6 adults and a child , for 3 weeks , even in a massive RV would not appeal to me. Unless it was Me Ralph n our kids , of course.
Id do the other suggestion though , at a push . The mini bus one. You'd have your own space then.

Unless , of course i couldn't afford to holiday , then anything would be better than nothing . I suppose.
But even then , i think i'd rather the in-laws or parents fork out for a nice villa/ n flights , somewhere nice , and maybe hire a mini bus to get about. We did that with our mums and dads , and our kids . It was great,we met up , and did our own thing when we wanted. That way you can all have your own space , and there was no falling out or bickering .

I suppose its all down to how you all get on. Only you know that.

For me the negatives would be sleeping/getting changed arangements
and having to do a poo when everyones at the other side of the door
:Blush::whatthe::Eeek:
Bev

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I did a west coast tour a few years ago in a 34ft A class, driving was easy as the roads are big, we had a 6 birth but we were 4 adults, luxury yes, but 7 would be torture in such a small space.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
hi
as others have said----7 in one rv ???????
NOT for us
The actual driving is not a problem out on the road----LA is not a good place if you are nervous!!!!!!!!!!
We only checked out the end of Route 66------then left as quick as we could-----WE DO NOT DO CITIES !!!!
We reckon 2 RV's would work better but gets expensive------Big RV's are ok BUT do present problems that we don't have with our truck and truck-camper. Campsites with full hookup are usually about $40 but with smaller units you can get onto much cheaper campsites usually without EHU, but most RV's have a genny (if you REALLY MUST have mains power) We travel most days so always have good battery and have an inverter so (like at this moment) we can use lap-tops, charge cameras etc.
Public transport is good at big cities, so you can park in parking areas and 'take a bus'
If you decide on the RV route---get a sat-nav and enter Wall-Mart !!!!!!------you can get into all of them (and camp for free on most !!!)
Nigel & Pamala
Alaska

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back