Alarm? Tracker? What do I need???? (1 Viewer)

Anesta

Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
Hi everybody,
in the process of buying a Hymer (still deciding Exsis-i or Exsis-t....) , both worth around £60000. I have been reading quite a lot about insurance and I am now so confused: can I get insurance without a tracker? Does having a tracker mean having to pay an annual fee on top of the purchasing and fitting costs?
i know the argument: if you spend so much for the van, why worry about a few extra hundred (or thousand...) £ for security. The thing is that the motorhome will sit in storage, so who is going to do anything about it if alarm goes off anyway? But, ok it is still good to have an alarm for when I move around and park up.
But how about the tracker? Does any reputable insurer accept that I may not have one?
Thanks again for any help from now...
And another thing, just out of curiosity: Exsis-i or Exsis-t? My wife and I can't seem to agree!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have a Strikeback Growler fitted by Vanbitz in Taunton, contact @eddievanbitz. All doors and lockers are alarmed, it has a remote engine blocker and a tracker built in to it. The alarm alerts us by phone if it is set off.
Other alarm systems/trackers are available but a large number of Funsters go to see Eddie........... Well not actually Eddie 'cos he's an ugly old bugger. :sick: :imoutahere:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Speak to your insurers and ask their requirements.
As for the growler alarm, if you disable the interior sensors because you're in the van, or you've left pets in there, the alarm won't go off if they get in through a window.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Speak to your insurers and ask their requirements.
As for the growler alarm, if you disable the interior sensors because you're in the van, or you've left pets in there, the alarm won't go off if they get in through a window.
You would hope that the four daylight bright LED's (one inside and three outside) and the fact that your in the van may have put them off in the first place, but you can elect to have vulnerable windows switched if your really worried (y)

I think that the numbers of people that suffer losses with our Growler system fitted is extremely low, given how many times we are recommended:)

To the OP there was a good example posted on here last week where a Swift was stolen from a Funsters drive, tracked but not alarmed. The motorhome was recovered in less than two hours.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
The only way you will know the requirements is by speaking to the insurers who will advise the requirements of the particular underwriter.
Most insurers, if they do stipulate a tracker and alarm will want Thatcham approved. My tracker HAD to be Thatcham Cat 5 (highest) and Alarm Thatcham Cat 1
If they do stipulate Thatcham Cat 5 tracker their will be installation costs of around 750GBP and an annual fee of around 200GBP. You can pay a one off fee to have subscription for as long as you own the vehicle in some cases.
Check with insurer first and I would only go with the highest Thatcham as that is the ONLY thing insurers recognized regardless how good the system is. The question gets asked by the computer, "is it Thatcham Cat 5" simply a yes or no can be put in, you cannot negotiate so be careful what you select.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
You would hope that the four daylight bright LED's (one inside and three outside) and the fact that your in the van may have put them off in the first place, but you can elect to have vulnerable windows switched if your really worried (y)

I think that the numbers of people that suffer losses with our Growler system fitted is extremely low, given how many times we are recommended:)

To the OP there was a good example posted on here last week where a Swift was stolen from a Funsters drive, tracked but not alarmed. The motorhome was recovered in less than two hours.

Eddie,

Just for my reference, is Growler Thatcham approved?

Thanks,

Stewart

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I breed special chihuahuas. Think of them as canine piranhas.....
Screenshot_20180725-170054_Google.jpg

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
We have a Strikeback Growler fitted by Vanbitz in Taunton, contact @eddievanbitz. All doors and lockers are alarmed, it has a remote engine blocker and a tracker built in to it. The alarm alerts us by phone if it is set off.
Other alarm systems/trackers are available but a large number of Funsters go to see Eddie........... Well not actually Eddie 'cos he's an ugly old bugger. :sick: :imoutahere:
What he says, we have a Strikeback from @eddievanbitz which also includes a remote tracker/immobiliser. Eddie's boys will do a very professional installation. The new tracker is I believe better than the one we have which requires a new Sim every so often if the MoHo is stored out of mobile range. The new one is sub based so remains 'live' even if not interrogated for a while. Just be warned they will want you out of the van at some ungodly hour in the morning so come prepared and set your alarm early:whistle:. Oh and yes Eddies box of tricks is Thatcham approved, you will get a cert with the installation

OP
OP
A

Anesta

Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
Looks like I will contact Eddie before I head off to Germany to pick up the van, then!

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
If you do decide on vanbitz, there’s 10% discount for funsters. Make sure you ask before booking.

OP
OP
A

Anesta

Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
I will contact a few insurers. Do they all cater for German imports? Or are they going to be picky? Just because steering wheel is on the other side (which makes driving on the continent easier...and since that's where I spend most of my holidays...)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No, it shouldn't make any difference which side the steering wheel is on. Ours is LHD.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We also have an Exsis, picked it up in Belgium and had an alarm fitted whilst it was parked on the drive. The insurer didn’t need us to have a tracker , just a Thatcham approved alarm and a mobile fitter was able to do this for us.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I’d suggest an alarm
An immobiliser
And a tracker

Maximum deterrent
Maximum protection
And maximum likelihood of recovering your van if it’s stolen

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
I went through some of the same Q when we bought a new van earlier this year. The insurers I asked in advance did want a cat1 alarm&immobiliser, but did not require a tracker. So I had the alarm/immobiliser professionally installed (to get the certificate) before we collected the van, then did some tracker research and arranged a suitably covert tracker installation after I took delivery. The tracker installation and ongoing charges are a lot less than some of the prices quoted in this thread. I decided I wouldn’t tell the insurers about the tracker: that’s for my peace of mind rather than for them to create rules and requirements.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I would have none if the insurer didn’t insist. No one pays attention to alarms and if it’s pinched the insurer can buy me a new one under the new for old policy for 24 months from new.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I went through some of the same Q when we bought a new van earlier this year. The insurers I asked in advance did want a cat1 alarm&immobiliser, but did not require a tracker. So I had the alarm/immobiliser professionally installed (to get the certificate) before we collected the van, then did some tracker research and arranged a suitably covert tracker installation after I took delivery. The tracker installation and ongoing charges are a lot less than some of the prices quoted in this thread. I decided I wouldn’t tell the insurers about the tracker: that’s for my peace of mind rather than for them to create rules and requirements.
Prices of trackers and annual costs are based on Thatcham Catagories. The higher the protection the higher the cost it seems.

OP
OP
A

Anesta

Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
Just found out that Caravan Guard doesn't insure private imports. Great. Does anybody know who will insure it?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A tracker is optional with some underwriters, but I fancy that the reduction in premium for having one may be less than the annual fee charged by the tracking company.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The tracker installation and ongoing charges are a lot less than some of the prices quoted in this thread. I decided I wouldn’t tell the insurers about the tracker: that’s for my peace of mind rather than for them to create rules and requirements.

I'd be wary of ever mentioning it. It could be classed as non disclosure of a material fact. I had a house alarm once & when insuring it wasn't disclosed ( I wasn't prepared for them to then require it always on ,etc;etc;etc, ) until I mentioned it later in the conversation. I was then told that if I had one it A) was considered to increase the risk ( people would think there was things worth stealing)
B) by not telling them I would not be insured in the event of a claim
C) as expected , if fitted it was required to be set all & every time when the house wasn't occupied .

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Just found out that Caravan Guard doesn't insure private imports. Great. Does anybody know who will insure it?
Try LV. I’ve always found them very accommodating and also reasonably competitive.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you want to reduce your premium, simply do exactly as the insurance companies request. The broker is a long way down the chain from the actuary, and has no power to deviate. They work off very simple parameters and are unable recognise any other measures you may have introduced to reduce risk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back