What small car to tow and towing rig? (1 Viewer)

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Hi All,

Our 2.7 litre Rimor Sailer has a tow bar. So, what is the lightesr used small car for towing, and what kind of towing rig would we need and electrical synching and steering synching? Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been asked elsewhere.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi
Don't give it a moment's thought
Don't apologise....too many apologistas in the world already-.
For what its worth, towing a car for some of us seems a damn good solution to the flexibility issue/challenge. I agree not for all
Clearly if you want to spend 13 months of the year wild camping in a cul-de-sac (Cornwall) then it may prove a bit tricky
European travel poses certain legislative issues as well....although A Frames may yet to turn out to be the least of all challenges if you visit the United States of Brussels next year
I second that(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If he is totally new I would advise buying nothing at all till you have tried it out and decide what sort of camping etc you like and your needs. One can easily waste money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Sorry for repeating as I have said before, if ANYONE is considering their first Mo Ho, rent one first for a week, it will be the best £1000 you ever "waste"

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Do you know how old the OP is? If he isn't a fossil like me and you, then he may not have great-grandfather rights like me and you, and MAY have overlooked that an a bar is a >750kg trailer for legislation porpoises
You just had to bring cetations into it didn't you? :D.

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Hi Kerry9. I will put my point of view in if it’s any use to you. We have had 2 motorhomes over a few years and have used them to stop a couple of days then usually move on - we picked sites and rallies with good public transport and interesting places which could be walked to. Never need a small car and loved the life style

BUT

our little dogs have got older and are refusing/unable to cover the ground they once did. We just purchased a smart car complete with A frame. Not only is this making our dogs and therefore our lives easier we are planning to explore different areas and sites.

Going forward if we are going to stop for a few days in one spot we will tow the car and use it but if moving on every day or so we won’t take it with us - complete flexibility to do what we want.

My advice to you is just to try the motorhome for a while - it’s a steep learning curve as it is, then you can make an informed decision on you need or would like such as a toad before spending any extra money.

Me and hubby this week have parked on a quiet rural site easily accessed from the M4 and are using the car to bomb around all the Small lanes discovering little beach coves - loving it:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
@Rosemary1

Many thanks - really helpful. Yes, a steep learning curve, like bleeping the alarm on but the doors not locking. To learn it has no central locking and I have to lock the cab doors manually first - THEN activate the alarm.... :)

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Yep - done that one - how about not turning the alarm off correctly in the morning when opening the door first thing ( that’s after learning to set the alarm before sleeping first) and having to avoid catching the eyes of all the other campers (we are early risers) for the next 2 days;)(y):D:D

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
@Rosemary1

Many thanks - really helpful. Yes, a steep learning curve, like bleeping the alarm on but the doors not locking. To learn it has no central locking and I have to lock the cab doors manually first - THEN activate the alarm.... :)

Paul (longdistancepaul) has a little Peugout 107 complete with a frame ready to go I think about £2500 area

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
@flatpackchicken

Many thanks for this heads-up. Still undecided. I think we'll give it a year of weekend and longer breaks and see what it works out like.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Do you know how old the OP is? If he isn't a fossil like me and you, then he may not have great-grandfather rights like me and you, and MAY have overlooked that an a bar is a >750kg trailer for legislation porpoises
Didn't know there was such a thing as 'Grandfather rights'. (Still don't, other than you said they exist).

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Didn't know there was such a thing as 'Grandfather rights'. (Still don't, other than you said they exist).
If you passed your test in a car before Jan 1997, then your licence automatically came with category BE which is the entitlement to tow a braked trailer over 750kg ( subject to vehicle limits). This is much the same as category C1 (up tp 7500kg) which also came “free”
Post Jan 1997 you had to take separate tests for trailer or over 3500kg
This earlier entitlement is known euphamistically and widely as Grandfather Rights
The fastest learner in the world would have needed to be 17 in Dec 1996
So 39 is the youngest you could be to have this entitlement

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2012
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For over 50 years
We also tow a Fiat Panda from time to time and use the tow-bars 2 tow-cars set up. Works fine. You have to remind yourself you are towing.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If you passed your test in a car before Jan 1997,
Thanks. I think I must have Great Grandfather rights.
2018-07-10 First Driving licence 002.JPG

and my one and only driving offence (in my mother's Morris Minor).......

2018-07-10 First Driving licence 004.JPG

Upvote 0

Benjamin Bronson

Free Member
Jul 15, 2018
Funster No
Don't forget if you are going over the pond you CANNOT tow on an A frame , the car must be on a trailer. If you get caught the fines are telephone numbers now.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't forget if you are going over the pond you CANNOT tow on an A frame , the car must be on a trailer. If you get caught the fines are telephone numbers now.
Not quite correct but it is a very contentious subject with lots of ambiguity regarding the law and it’s interpretation in Europe, I personally tow a trailer to save hassle but there are those that do take A frames and have no problems.
Everyone to their own.(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Charlie Farley

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Powys
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I7150
Exp
Towed a 2015 Skoda Citigo on a Unibrake A frame system for the last couple of years. Very pleased with the setup.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
South West - Weston-Super-Mare
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Cheyenne 660
Exp
I'm a newbie
Like the Kerry9 post we to are looking at a tow car option. Had Motorhome for couple of years now and with the wife’s limiting health issues found it difficult to find sites that she could get about and with public transport on the decline, even got folding mobility scooter but that has its limitations.
So many things to consider, it is useful for those that are seasoned travellers to air their views without being negative. We haven’t ventured abroad so many wonderful places in the UK to see, so to allow us to enjoy our Motorhome and leisure a tow car may well help us to enjoy our trips more.
So any recommendations are helpful in making our minds up.

Thanks to this forum for being a source of information.

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Like the Kerry9 post we to are looking at a tow car option. Had Motorhome for couple of years now and with the wife’s limiting health issues found it difficult to find sites that she could get about and with public transport on the decline, even got folding mobility scooter but that has its limitations.
So many things to consider, it is useful for those that are seasoned travellers to air their views without being negative. We haven’t ventured abroad so many wonderful places in the UK to see, so to allow us to enjoy our Motorhome and leisure a tow car may well help us to enjoy our trips more.

Hi. I have posted on this previously to say if unsure wait to see if you need a car but note that you have decided you do so yes go for it. We bought a little 2 seater smart car on a electronic braking A frame 2nd hand (from this forum actually:D). It’s ace for pottering round the countryside from the motorhome and enables us to use a lot of sites we couldn’t before. Hubby reckoned it’s easy to tow, is easy to attach and is easy to park. Space inside is very good considering it’s size oh and very cheap to run - I often use it at home in place of our fuel guzzling 4 x 4. Have you already go a tow bar fitted - as that was a whole new experience:D

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

My first tow car was a Smart 2 seater but it suffered from the dreaded wheel wobble. I did find a way of damping the steering but it was a bit of a faff. Not all Smarts suffer from this problem. I now have a VW Up which not only has more space but behaves very well.

Tip. I have bought an unchipped ignition key, that way I can unlock the steering without leaving a key in the car that can start the engine. I can lock the door manually with the standard key but the remote will not operate while there is a key in the steering lock.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Never quite got our head around a Motorhome towing a car be it on a trailer or toad, surely the answer is Car and Caravan, hell of a lot cheaper option.
If we feel the need for a car when travelling around we just pick up the phone and hire one, in most cases they deliver it and pick it up when you have finished with it.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We are on our third toad, Peugeot 108 Allure Top with electronic braking, supplied and converted by http://tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk/ near Grimsby.
Previously had a Toyota Aygo, also by http://tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk/ and prior to that a Ford KA which had overrun braking and very heavy A-frame. The Ka we towed for around 10 years until it fell apart through lack of adjustment and inspection, so we now have the Pug checked out regularly by the supplier.
I'm happy to recommend Tow-bars2tow-cars in all respects ... great service, always happy to help and have a good selection of cars in stock.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Never quite got our head around a Motorhome towing a car be it on a trailer or toad, surely the answer is Car and Caravan, hell of a lot cheaper option.
If we feel the need for a car when travelling around we just pick up the phone and hire one, in most cases they deliver it and pick it up when you have finished with it.
Definitely not the same as having your own vehicle with you when required, particularly in very remote areas .. but everyone to their own.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Definitely not the same as having your own vehicle with you when required, particularly in very remote areas .. but everyone to their own.

Absolutely as you say one size doesn't fit all, over the years we have seen cars being towed behind motorhomes as they pull on a site and the car is never used, it has almost become the extra must have.
For us it just isn't worth the cost of buying another vehicle, having to insure and service it, the cost of a tow bar, a trailer or toad etc. you can hire a lot of cars for that amount and not have the worry of towing a car behind the motorhome.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Absolutely as you say one size doesn't fit all, over the years we have seen cars being towed behind motorhomes as they pull on a site and the car is never used, it has almost become the extra must have.
For us it just isn't worth the cost of buying another vehicle, having to insure and service it, the cost of a tow bar, a trailer or toad etc. you can hire a lot of cars for that amount and not have the worry of towing a car behind the motorhome.
We don't always take the toad with us having, each time, first considered if we are likely to need it. Some trips we are often away for a few weeks staying at different places, some of which we will use the car & others we won't, so yes occasionally it will sit unused for a few days.
As far as cost goes, our toad is also our second car for use at home, it has free road tax, it's very frugal on fuel and cheap insurance .... so not a problem for us.
I appreciate a toad is not for you, however, everyone has different needs and wants and it suits us very well to have the option to tow or not.

Upvote 0

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Kia Picanto with a Smart-Tow system. Seems to work well.

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If there is just the two of you SMART every time. Some idiot that cannot park will always leave a parking space big enough for a SMART. You'll look at the space and think "can't get in there" and when you try you'll find two foot of space all round when you get out.

A bit Marmite for some people but we love ours - except over speed humps!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back