What compressor fridge? (3 Viewers)

Dec 23, 2012
colchester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 yrs
We are having a new bespoke panel van conversion so can choose our appliances. Think we will choose compressor fridge as will have lithium batteries. Thought I read somewhere that a certain compressor fridge had trouble with the catch breaking? Not sure which to go for Vitrifrigo, Waeco, Thetford? is there really a difference do you think?
Can also choose our means of cooking anyone gone all electric? or diesel hob? Thanks in anticipation

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you go for cooking with electric you will be restricted to having hook up so not a good idea.
Get them to fit an underslung gas tank and go all gas including the fridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If it was me I would choose a top loading compressor fridge. Top loading fridges that slide out of side kitchen units are becoming more common in PVCs. Side opening doors must be the ones that have a problem with catches. Not sure which manufacturer makes the top loaders but it could be Waeco.

Our current Vitrifrigo 90 litre compressor fridge has a strong door catch and hasn't fallen open while driving, so far. But it does seem a bit noisy when in operation. There is no low power "night" setting so I switch it off when we go to bed.

We still use a gas hob. If cooking that is all you use gas for, one bottle will last ages. We have a diesel Truma so generally need EHU.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If it was me I would choose a top loading compressor fridge. Top loading fridges that slide out of side kitchen units are becoming more common in PVCs. Side opening doors must be the ones that have a problem with catches. Not sure which manufacturer makes the top loaders but it could be Waeco.

Our current Vitrifrigo 90 litre compressor fridge has a strong door catch and hasn't fallen open while driving, so far. But it does seem a bit noisy when in operation. There is no low power "night" setting so I switch it off when we go to bed.

We still use a gas hob. If cooking that is all you use gas for, one bottle will last ages. We have a diesel Truma so generally need EHU.

Yes I love the Westfalia Columbus with the pull out fridge.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds great your own bespoke conversion, we were on the brink of it and I had designed everything, but in the end went with an A class.
It was the re-sale costs that was the sticking point and I didn't want the Fiat, Peugeot or Citroen base.
Have you got it winterised, that was one of my main criteria, its the things you can't see in a conversion that are the important ones. Insulation is a big one, what are you going for, we were going for the spray foam.
Water tanks, are they inside, underslung, heated?
Its great designing one but finally taking the plunge is a different matter.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Vitrifrigo is probably the best compressor fridge and is used widely in marine circles as well as on Motorhomes. Advantages of compressor fridges are -
  • No holes needed for flues/ventilation
  • No need to get van level for it to work correctly
  • Gets down to temperature really fast
  • They just work!
Downsides are -
  • Initially more expensive
  • Make more noise (but I sleep fine with my head 200mm from ours)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Vitrifrigo is probably the best compressor fridge and is used widely in marine circles as well as on Motorhomes. Advantages of compressor fridges are -
  • No holes needed for flues/ventilation
  • No need to get van level for it to work correctly
  • Gets down to temperature really fast
  • They just work!
Downsides are -
  • Initially more expensive
  • Make more noise (but I sleep fine with my head 200mm from ours)

Use more 12v power too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I haven't heard anything good about diesel hobs. Murvi offer it as an option but if you enquire about it, as I did, they will talk you out of it. :)

Make sure you have plenty of solar. How much also depends on your heating system. If it is a Webasto Dualtop like we have that is another big energy user and with the fridge you will need 200W - and more if you can find room on the roof.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I haven't heard anything good about diesel hobs. Murvi offer it as an option but if you enquire about it, as I did, they will talk you out of it. :)

Make sure you have plenty of solar. How much also depends on your heating system. If it is a Webasto Dualtop like we have that is another big energy user and with the fridge you will need 200W - and more if you can find room on the roof.

Rex seems to talk you out of a lot of things, I know someone who wanted a 4x4 Murvi and was talked out of it:D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a Thetford T1090 fridge freezer, it's got some good features but we are still getting used to it having had a 3-way one previously:

One thing that has surprised us is that the freezer door has NO insulation at all ... it even has a gap at the bottom! We've put a piece of thermal material against it and it's improved the freezing meaning that stuff at the very front of it doesn't partially defrost as it did before. We've not noticed any problems with the fridge part by us doing this so when we get home I'm going to experiment by cutting a piece of closed cell foam (better than polystyrene) to fit it properly and see if that helps even more.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We’re really pleased with our Thetford compressor fridge, we have the same as @Minxy Girl and it’s the Mk1 version, Thetford have redesigned the freezer compartment on the recent models.
The other good thing is the night setting as this makes it very quiet indeed.

John.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
For the fridge: Waeco CRX 50 or 80, I have the 50 & it's a brillant bit of kit.
I have a single 110ah battery & with careful planning can manage 3 days without hookup (no solar) It has 3 modes: fridge, fridge/freezer & freezer.

For cooking AND heating, I have a Wallas XC Duo. A combined DIESEL heater & HOB
It runs off diesel from the vehicle tank and is really easy to use. The upsides/downsides are:

Upsides:

• No gas
• No gas bottle
• No gas alarms
• No gas pipes
• No naked flame in the van, meaning I can cook in and heat the van with a motorcycle it.
• No fear of running out of gas
• Easy to clean the ceramic hob
• Compact as it’s a hob and heater - more space for beer & wine!
• Runs on diesel, available anywhere & draws it from the vehicle tank (cheap to run, even in France!)
• No condensation
• You can get a toast rack for it!

Potential Downsides:

• It takes about 6 minutes to warm up – not a problem for me, but may be for some
• It requires an intake & exhaust – my van was designed around it, so no problem for me
• Draws an initial 4 amps on start up, so needs a bit of battery power, once running it’s fine and draws very little current
• Expensive, but not too much more than using separate components
• Needs flat bottomed cookware.

Brilliant bit of kit, I will never go back to gas. I am surprised that a lot more people aren't using them

13047757_884409895003305_2386145057753158778_o.jpg
13051589_884410058336622_9049123890567608422_n.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
For the fridge: Waeco CRX 50 or 80, I have the 50 & it's a brillant bit of kit.
I have a single 110ah battery & can manage 3 days with careful planning. It has 3 modes: fridge, fridge/freezer & freezer.

For cooking AND heating, I have a Wallas XC Duo. A combined DIESEL heater & HOB
It runs off diesel from the vehicle tank and is really easy to use. The upsides/downsides are:

Upsides:

• No gas
• No gas bottle
• No gas alarms
• No gas pipes
• No naked flame in the van, meaning I can cook in and heat the van with a motorcycle it.
• Runs on diesel, available anywhere & draws it from the vehicle tank (cheap to run, even in France!)
• No condensation

Potential Downsides:

• It takes about 6 minutes to warm up – not a problem for me, but may be for some
• It requires an intake & exhaust – my van was designed around it, so no problem for me
• Draws an initial 4 amps on start up, so needs a bit of battery power, once running it’s fine and draws very little current

Brilliant bit of kit, I will never go back to gas. I am surprised that a lot more people aren't using them

View attachment 257506 View attachment 257507

Great stuff, what van do you have, a bespoke one, did you convert yourself.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Great stuff, what van do you have, a bespoke one, did you convert yourself.

Bought a van (MWB Puegeot Boxer), designed a conversion to fit my requirements & had a local company do the conversion.

If you are interested, pm me your email & I can give you the full story - but here's a few pics
3.jpg
2.jpg
5.JPG

Last edited:

Aubs

Free Member
Sep 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2014
Nice looking van you have there. Can I ask Is that a Wallas Xc you have fitted if is so how do you find it as thinking going that route on my Relay L3H2 when it arrives.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Yes, I have a Wallas XC Duo. A combined DIESEL heater & HOB

Upsides:

• No gas
• No gas bottle
• No gas alarms
• No gas pipes
• No condensation

Potential Downsides:

I had my van converted by a local company, who fitted it.
That said, fitting is straightforward two pipes (one inlet, one exhaust) need go to the outside plus a fuel pipe that can either go to the vehicle tank (mine does) or a seperate tank if you prefer.

Electrical connection directly to the leisure battery (fused obvioulsy)

Manual attached

Attachments

• XC-Duo-manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ok in a small van but only rated 1.9 kw so wouldnt heat a larger van also no heating while your cooking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back