dongle for laptop internet (1 Viewer)

N

Nobody

Deleted User
need a internet connection whilst holiday in scotland for my lap top any suggestions tariff where to buy good reception any help on this topic

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I have a Three pay and go Dongle and it works fine, never tried it in Scotland but can't see any reason why it should not work there subject to connectivity of course, The Dongle costs about £25 to buy currently and can be topped up at £10 £ 15 and £25 . top ups last for thirty days and then die, good thing about 3 Dongles is that you can let them die for up to a year and just top up as required. The three is the best Dongle on offer at the moment, we have just bought a second lap top for my wife and have been shopping around for another Dongle for it and have found three to be the best value we can find currently in Southampton.£15 top up gives you 3 gig of use .:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
need a internet connection whilst holiday in scotland for my lap top any suggestions tariff where to buy good reception any help on this topic

Don't expect too much - Scotland can be *very* patchy with one supplier working in one area and another in another. It's a *big* place will loads of hills and small population.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of the problems is that deals can change so rapidly so what might be the "best" company this week may be overtaken next week. It's very difficult at the moment to find non-expiring deals, for example.

Coverage maps seem to be a feature of all provider web sites so if there are particular "must have" areas then it is worth checking those.

The subject has been discussed a fair bit in the past so it may be worth doing a search to see what the experience of others has been previously.

Graham

Upvote 0

BGDwth

Free Member
Oct 7, 2009
Funster No
I have a Three Dongle and it is patchy but within a mile you can usually get reception so it's just a case of finding a good spot.

Got mine off eBay cheaply but make sure you get the appropriate sim card with it because otherwise the general phone one will eat your pay as you go 10/15/20 extremely quickly. Link Removed one will no doubt be gone by the time you see but currently on £10 with sim.

Also on the Three site you can type in a postcode or area and they give an indication of reception quality.

Lastly if you use Google there's a lot of webpages out there that suggest that you can use your mobile as a modem for your laptops, never looked into it myself (but I have a 3 smartphone with an 'unlimited' ("reasonable use") allowance).

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, some mobiles are capable of being used as modems - but you need a 3G capable one to get the dongle speeds. My Vodafone mobile can be used as a modem at a charge of 50p per day. It connects to the netbook via either cable (which came with the phone) or Bluetooth.

Graham

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Another consideration would be an unlocked dongle. This means you can use sim cards from any provider and take advantage of any situation (e.g. on the continent). I got mine from:

Link Removed

Regards
Wyn

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
i bought my 3 dongle from tesco, at the time it was on offer for £29.99 with 3GB/3 month usage, it is currently online Link Removed for £39.99

I've not used it in Scotland though so can't help you with that point.

Upvote 0

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
You might want to look at providers other than 3 of course - they certainly are not the only players out there, although all the posts so far have been pretty exclusively about them!!!

I travel quite a bit, countrywide, and have found Vodafone to provide the best overall coverage. Where I am at present in Norfolk, I think the coverage is even worse than Scotland if that's possible, and only Vodafone manages to get a semblance of signal here, although only on GPRS in most of the county. I've got an unlimited business package with Vodafone which is quite expensive at around £20 a month, but it serves me well and is quite stable on Win XP, Vista and Apple Macs. Not used it on Win 7 yet.

I also have a T-Mobile dongle which is totally and utterly useless in Norfolk, but gets good 3G speeds in some other areas, and I've found the best option (maybe not suitable if you are on a very restrcited budget) is to have two dongles from different providers so that one of the two is likely to give some sort of usable signal.

Best thing to do is check the providers coverage maps carefully, but be aware that they don't guarantee coverage, even if the map shows it as covered. Also decide if its worth getting a contract dongle or PAYG - some contracts give excellent usage if you use a lot of download capacity but very inexpensive PAYG rates or contracts are likely to "cap" your usage or call it "fair use" restriction. I have a company so don't mind the relatively high cost of the business rathe Vodafone dongle I use as its mostly used in the course of my business- the tax man would otherwise just get more money!!!!!
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
We've used 3 and also BT in the highlands with very little problems at all - you sometimes have to move half a mile or so but it's pretty good.

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
I have a 3 mi fi modem.

So basically I can have it switched on in the RV and we can all log on just like being at home with a wi fi modem. Had the dongle but was always frustrated with it, the laptop had to be in the right place, at least with this you can put the modem where you want ie where you get a good signal. When I bought the modem I just took the sim card out of the dongle and put it in the modem.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4737/3-mifi-huawei-e5830-review

Think I paid about £50 for it and my contract with 3 is for 5 or 7 gb? and I pay £7.50 per month. Luckily I bought it on a special price and it stays at that!

Not sure about Scotland, as said you need to look to see what works. Each of the providers has coverage maps if you look on their web sites.

Best regards

Chris

Upvote 0

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
We bought a Vodaphone one for £25 and it came with £15 credit

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Scotland

Hi there, We live in Scotland and a lot depends on where you intend to travel. Around the bigger towns and cities you can get excellent coverage from a 3g dongle but once out in the wilds it's a lot more patchy. I have an O2 dongle that I bought for £19.99. I chose it because I can buy 1/7/30 day access for £2/£7/£15. If out of the 3g network area it connects using slower mobile access - and it can be very slow.
I usually mix the dongle with finding MacDonalds for free wifi access.
hope that helps
Mags

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
best solution is visit the network providers websites and do a search on their coverage....

then buy an appropriate 3G/HSDPA sim.

ebay currently have Vodafone 3G sims with no expiry on the preinstalled £15 / 1Gb credit...price, around £7.50...thats just half the credit allowance already on the sim.

Upvote 0

mavisangelica

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Newcastle
Funster No
Exp
I bought a T Mobile one from the Carphone Warehouse just before christmas. It is a pay as you go. It came with £10 on it and when you first logged on you got free continuous days (think it was 30 days.) The pay as you go is £2 per day (24 hours) or you can also select 7 days or 30 days. If you don't use it, you have up to 180 days before everything expires.

I bought mine specifically to keep my 15 year old happy in the caravan - which it did over New Year (he was on the usual teenage websites) without a maximum download. We hadn't used it until yesterday but it let me use it (was getting worried it may have expired).

Upvote 0

Mastodon

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Funster No
Using an o2 pay as you go - £10 from o2 and pretty good coverage. £2 a day / £7 a week or £15 a month. Also works in Europe @ £6 a Gb

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having just come back from 2 weeks in Scotland including Skye and the isles of Harris & Lewis, I can confirm that the '3' connectivity is patchy ... and that's generous! :whatthe: When you do get it though the speed is fairly good.

On Harris & Lewis the connectivity was non-existent except at the ports, on Skye it wasn't much better, and on the Scottish mainland it was a bit hit and miss depending on where we were but we didn't go higher than the crossing to Skye so not that far up in reality. Fortunately I only wanted to be on line occasionally so it wasn't a major problem if I couldn't connect.

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hi Sylv has just bought a O2 dongle I am using it on the lappy at the mo it is £15.00 for a month on PAYG and 3 gb it does seem a bit slow but it is workin, I`m in Basildon working so I nicked it off her for 3 days whilst am down here:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Ferend

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Funster No
Using an o2 pay as you go - £10 from o2 and pretty good coverage. £2 a day / £7 a week or £15 a month. Also works in Europe @ £6 a Gb
According to the O2 website the PAYG dongle can't be used abroad, I'd be interested to know if you have proved otherwise and can verify the £6/Gb charge, which seems exceptionally good.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back