Compulsory charges at CairnGorm Mountain ski car parks (1 Viewer)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I was unaware that a voluntary scheme was in place.
I thought parking was f.o.c, on the assumption that most patrons would inevitably be spending £££ at the facility.
Having said that, on other forums and particularly Trip Advisor, they have been accused of money grabbing and delivering poor service, so perhaps it's not surprising that they're looking to increase revenue further...

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i've no real issue with compulsory parking charges per say - the Forestry Commission charge £2-£3 per day at the 7 Staines MTB trail centres in Dumfries & Galloway (Ae, Mabie, Dalbiettie etc) and its great value for money - but £8 for a MH is taking the mick - :( for a day stop? fair enough if it was for an overnight stay.... but just to visit? they will definately be puting visitors off at that price.
The FC charge MH as per cars and minibus are £8 ish iirc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Parking charges have been in force from Loch Morlich up to the ski lift for years, I'm surprised charges at the top have not been introduced before now.

£8 is a bit steep though ( not a mountain pun ! ).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
£8 for a MH is taking the mick
Not just motorhomes, the company's web site says "The cost for minibuses, caravans and camper-vans will be £8 per day".
Presumably this reflects the extra space taken up together with the long term plans - "In the long term it is hoped that a 24-hour toilet facility could be introduced, as well as improved campervan facilities and electric hook-ups".

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
- "In the long term it is hoped that a 24-hour toilet facility could be introduced, as well as improved campervan facilities and electric hook-ups".
Something similar to Glencoe then, that’s £15pn inc water and hook-up from memory??

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
but Glencoe is like a posh aire, with services - and I don't grudge paying £15 it if staying over night, but £8 for a carpark during the day, with no services, for an hour? put the services in first and then charge....

I'd like to see some definition of "in the long term" ... next 20yrs? - no mention of sliding scale of charges for short stay either 2hrs, 3hrs, whole day charge and no mention of how costs would be dealt with if overnighting.... 2 days? or doing night climbs or bivvying out on the mountain overnight and not returning to your car... e.g. - its going to keep tourists away - they have top remember the only real way to get up to there is to drive and if people start to get big parking costs, they will just not bother going up... it stinks of revenue raising of the lowest denomination when they should really be investing the lift ticket and revenue income from the various activities into the whole infrastructure.
not impressed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
but Glencoe is like a posh aire, with services - and I don't grudge paying £15 it if staying over night, but £8 for a carpark during the day, with no services, for an hour? put the services in first and then charge....

I'd like to see some definition of "in the long term" ... next 20yrs? - no mention of sliding scale of charges for short stay either 2hrs, 3hrs, whole day charge and no mention of how costs would be dealt with if overnighting.... 2 days? or doing night climbs or bivvying out on the mountain overnight and not returning to your car... e.g. - its going to keep tourists away - they have top remember the only real way to get up to there is to drive and if people start to get big parking costs, they will just not bother going up... it stinks of revenue raising of the lowest denomination when they should really be investing the lift ticket and revenue income from the various activities into the whole infrastructure.
not impressed.
I suppose the only way to obtain such a definition and an accurate idea of timescales would be to ask them direct.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
There is nothing there that you can't get elsewhere except for the funicular.
£40 for a family of 4 before you have to pay an extra £8
It will scare away potential customers.

I very much doubt it will get anywhere near its 220,000 visitors in future with the ski centre also losing revenues.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
As a frequent visitor to Loch Morlich and Cairngorm I dont think the charge is unreasonable. All the funds raised are going towards maintaining and improving the parking facilities. I've always paid the recommended voluntary contribution but have seen myself how few do, everyone wants something for nothing these days. Also £25 buys you an annual pass to all three carparks and if you have a blue badge it costs nothing. I seriously doubt it will impinge on visitor numbers except possibly the FLT's who contribute nothing. By the way you can get up there by bike and its an absolute hoot coming back down! :cycle:

Deleted User
In their Terms & Conditions it says:

Cars £2

Minibuses/Vans/ £8
Campervans

Annual Passes £25

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I don't think it was motor home owners who were not paying the but car owners .so there you are.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
£2 for cars and £8 for motorhomes per day is going to stop people going? :LOL:

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Suggest you vote with your wallet and walk away, plenty free attractions all over Scotland, explore some of the lesser known places. Been to Glen Esk today, lovely folk museum (free) attached to a marvelous visitor centre and cafe. , free car park at the end of the Glen, adjacent to an historic church ( free entry ), lots of walks. Better scenery couldn't be found. I was on the motorbike but lots of room for motorhomes.

Oh - it was 23c as well .

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Suggest you vote with your wallet and walk away, plenty free attractions all over Scotland, explore some of the lesser known places. Been to Glen Esk today
Difficult to walk away we go to ski and don't mind paying for the lift pass. Add the rest like food etc spent on the mountain then it's a really costly day out. Especially over a 5 or 7 day period. Will seriously think about going to Glencoe with free day parking in future.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Difficult to walk away we go to ski and don't mind paying for the lift pass. Add the rest like food etc spent on the mountain then it's a really costly day out. Especially over a 5 or 7 day period. Will seriously think about going to Glencoe with free day parking in future.

Was up at Glencoe mountain resort about 3 weeks ago. If not using one of the pay pitches next to the camping cabins , there is now a donation box for overnight staying on the general parking area.. Next to the tent pitching area at the bottom of the car park.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I contacted them (Cairngorm). Their reply follows....

"Sorry for any confusion. We only charge £8.00 if a camper is a long stay eg overnight. Many campervans come in after hours and we suggest to use the Pay boxes around the site, which many campers do.
If a camper is just in for a day visit the charge is £2.00."

I hope that helps.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
I contacted them (Cairngorm). Their reply follows....

"Sorry for any confusion. We only charge £8.00 if a camper is a long stay eg overnight. Many campervans come in after hours and we suggest to use the Pay boxes around the site, which many campers do.
If a camper is just in for a day visit the charge is £2.00."

I hope that helps.
We were there just two nights ago and the notices certainly don't lead you to think that. It actually says buses, minibuses and campervans £8 per day which lead us to think if we stayed overnight it would be £16.
All forestry sites banned overnight parking except Alt Mor

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We were there just two nights ago and the notices certainly don't lead you to think that. It actually says buses, minibuses and campervans £8 per day which lead us to think if we stayed overnight it would be £16.
All forestry sites banned overnight parking except Alt Mor
We used to drive up and visit the shops. We would have a coffee and a scone. £8 extra for our coffee and scone is a definite no no.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We used to drive up and visit the shops. We would have a coffee and a scone. £8 extra for our coffee and scone is a definite no no.

https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/plan-your-visit/parking-at-cairngorm/

£2 for day parking . £8 for overnight

Parking Tariffs
The parking fees payable at this car park are as follows:

• Cars – £2.00
  • Minibuses/Vans – £8.00 (if staying overnight, £2 if visiting during the day)
  • Annual Passes – £25.00
These fees are also displayed on the welcome sign at the entrance to the car park. You are obliged to pay the applicable fee. Please note the following exemptions:

• Blue Badge Holders
  • Season Pass Holders
  • Emergency or Contractor Vehicles

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
That's good to read but the notice we read in the top car park definitely did not have the bracketed part.

Nov 15, 2017
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Quad slider 5th wheeler
ref Stonehenge, they didn't charge when it was first put up, since then, no renovations and they now charge, no logic.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back