John & Diana

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Searching!
Hi

We are currently looking at motorhomes - probably a Van-conversion such as an Autosleeper Stratford. We are wondering what it is like to take your dog with you. We have an 8 month old Airedale Terrier called Florence. She is quite lively!

Where do your dogs sleep and how do they cope with the travelling - do you put them in a harness whilst you are on the road?

Any advice welcome.

John and Diana

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Thats a big dog for any size van, but it depends on their character rather then their size. He will either take to it, or he will be a royal pain in the bottom and destroy your van.

We have a miniature pinscher that is very lively but takes to the RV like a fish out of water. He sits on the barrel chair with a harness on, and sleeps in his bed placed in the passenger foot well, which was his choice. Min Pins are the size of a large cat, so find it easy to adapt to the smaller dimensions of living space.

KSH

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have 2 Yorkies, they always travel in a cage because when their not in one they try and jump on my knee, not good when travelling down a motorway at 70mph!
Funny thing is their both travel sick even though they have been in cars since 8 week old, this only happens in the car though, never when we are in the motorhome and we can't work out why, maybe its a speed thing?? only do 60 in the MH and errmmm 70 in the car :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
We have 2 Yorkies, they always travel in a cage because when their not in one they try and jump on my knee, not good when travelling down a motorway at 70mph!
Funny thing is their both travel sick even though they have been in cars since 8 week old, this only happens in the car though, never when we are in the motorhome and we can't work out why, maybe its a speed thing?? only do 60 in the MH and errmmm 70 in the car :Blush:

I seem to remember that vehicles build a static charge when in motion, and that can make us travel sick.

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
we have a South African Mastiff (Boerboel) and a Staffy, the Boerboel drives and the Staffy Navigates :roflmto:

well given half a hance they would.

In all seriousness, they both travel well laying on seats and they sleep on the bed at night !!

Sneezles

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two years
We also travel with 2 Yorkies and they are so good to take, they have taken to it brilliantly.
On the travel sickness thing - one of ours would travel for exactly 45 mins before being sick, Went to the vet and they gave us a bottle of Vallergan which is usually used as an antihistamine(sp) in children, she has 1ml in a tiny syringe an hour before travelling and she has not been sick since, it lasts all day so doesnt need to be re-administered later in the day.
Works out very cheap too, bottle is 100 ml and cost about £16 for the bottle.
Ask your vet it has done wonders for us.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

we have a rescue greyhound, always harnessed and he has his own seat belt clip for our sakes as well as his. Last thing I need is 30 Kg of dog hitting us from behind or bouncing around the MH.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Tara travels and sleeps where she likes.

have a look at her in my avatar and that should tell you why.:thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

Just a thought, do you have the radio on in the car and not in the m/h
(speakers in the back) as lots of young puppies are nervous of this, especailly if they are from a quiet household / background

hoping they are settled soon

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mine does thousands of miles home and abroad. sits/sleeps on back seat of truck .best thing they ever did was pets passports. mine left before they came out and is a real travelling dog. must speak several dog languages now .

RVfulltimer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
Funster No
Hi we have two jack russels and have travelled all round main land europe one wants to sit on judes lap all the time and one hides under the the sofa .As vanallan says the passport for dogs was the best thing ever you do not need one to get out of the uk only back in we did ours in spain a lot cheaper than the uk and the vets are very helpfull with the 24 / 48 hour rule for coming back to the uk.The law states that the dogs must be in a cage or harness but thats up to you,

RVfulltimer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
Funster No
Sorry that should be VW ALAN my mistake

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no probs .been called worse . dont like being called late for me tea though.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

We have 2 toy poodles that travel with us both enjoy the trips. They travel in travelling crates for their and our safety and seem to enjoy the experience.
In fact when going out at home both will head for the motorhome rather than the car so it seems they like it.
Both sleep in crates on site as well as at home with no problems, in fact they will often return to a crate during the day if they want to be alone, strange but the other dog seems to respect that the one in the crate wants to be alone.

We have had other dogs prior to these and have always done the same with the same results.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm heading off to Europe in my Bessacarr E765 with my 3 Yorkies. Chloe (15) is usually dreadful in the car so I've bought a 2nd hand travel cot to put her in (don't do cages) and the other 2 can either go in that with her or be secured with a car harness. :thumb:

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
I had already been full time on the road a couple of years when I got my dog, a rescued lurcher. She was already used to the travelling life when I got her and has taken to life in the bus very well. She sleeps where she likes, usually sharing my bed, and she keeps me warm on the cold winter nights, haven't needed my hot water bottle since I've had her :Smile: When we are moving she sits on one of the seats, without restraint, at first she did want to sit on my lap while I was driving :Eeek: but she knows not to do that now :Smile: She's an excellent guard dog, barks and growls if anyone comes near the bus when we are inside, which tends to discourage any unwelcome visitors, and she's great company, as fulltime solo wildcamping can be a wee bit lonely at times, but not with a constant canine companion. Dogs are amazing, lovely great warm furry things, they give so much and ask for so little :Smile:

iluvmyrv

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
7 years
Hi.We have a German Shepherd who has travelled all over Europe with us. He loves being in the RV and when we are on the road he sits/lies in front of the passenger seat. He barks too command if we have any problems on service areas.

Smoogy

Free Member
Mar 29, 2010
Porlock, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 months and loving it!
Our travelling companion is a 3 year old Weimaraner who usually sleeps on the sofa when en route but also likes to 'eyeball' anyone driving too close behind.:whatthe:

KSH

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I seem to remember that vehicles build a static charge when in motion, and that can make us travel sick.
Yeah, tried them anti-static strips you can but but it did no good

Just a thought, do you have the radio on in the car and not in the m/h
(speakers in the back) as lots of young puppies are nervous of this, especailly if they are from a quiet household / background

hoping they are settled soon
Have radio on in both

We also travel with 2 Yorkies and they are so good to take, they have taken to it brilliantly.
On the travel sickness thing - one of ours would travel for exactly 45 mins before being sick, Went to the vet and they gave us a bottle of Vallergan which is usually used as an antihistamine(sp) in children, she has 1ml in a tiny syringe an hour before travelling and she has not been sick since, it lasts all day so doesnt need to be re-administered later in the day.
Works out very cheap too, bottle is 100 ml and cost about £16 for the bottle.
Ask your vet it has done wonders for us.
Thanks, I'll look into that, tried the sickness tablets, ginger biscuits etc
I'll just have to sell the car and use motorhome all the time, no problem in that :Eeek:

jennyd

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just under a year
We set off with a van conversion Trigano and I have to say would of struggled to take our boxer (Billy) with us, in fact when the weather was wet we struggled to fit in ourselves, however we have now got a coachbuilt and have recently taken Billy with us for a week tourning Scotland, and it was excellent. We bought a good quality harness and this has an attachment that means you can fasten it into the seatbelt clip, Billy lays on the seat and sleeps his way through the journey - it took us 11hours to get home but with a few stops for the usual he coped perfectly!!! I would not however contemplate taking him without the harness and seat belt. Enjoy your hols!!! :thumb:

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Hi erbody,

we have jack russell although he likes to be called jacqe roussel in france he travels where the hell he likes, its just too much trouble to argue.

georgio.

Madmaggott

Free Member
Jun 19, 2010
Fishguard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 Year
Our dog comes everywhere with us; she has a harness on to travel 'just in case'.
Her bed goes under the table and she lies there whilst we are travelling and sleeps there at night.
I couldn't cope with a large hound leaping around the van, on the seats and generally being a pain but a well trained dog is an absolute pleasure to travel with.
Your dog is young so start how you mean to go on be consistent and he will soon learn the rules. What you allow is up to you but remember if you do something twice with a dog you are generally stuck with that for life!:RollEyes:

topaz10

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
N. Wales
Funster No
Exp
3 months
We have 2 lively lowchens who, I'm glad to say, are excellent travellers. In the car they travel in a crate with a divider so they each have their own space (important as the younger one occasionally has a 'go' at the older one). But there is no room for the crate in the van so we secure them on the separate rear seats, one each side of the van.
Unfortunately, the older dog suffers from insomnia - on our last trip I ended up walking him around the site at 3.am. ..... and again at 4.30.....

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Hello again

Topaz wrote we have tweo lovely travelers , I wish barney trouble as the same.
lol.

geogio

Madmaggott

Free Member
Jun 19, 2010
Fishguard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 Year
We have 2 lively lowchens who, I'm glad to say, are excellent travellers. In the car they travel in a crate with a divider so they each have their own space (important as the younger one occasionally has a 'go' at the older one). But there is no room for the crate in the van so we secure them on the separate rear seats, one each side of the van.
Unfortunately, the older dog suffers from insomnia - on our last trip I ended up walking him around the site at 3.am. ..... and again at 4.30.....

Oh! I love Lowchens, they're great!!

Re: Travel sickness; my dog has suffered with this ever since her first car journey when we brought her home from the breeder at 10 weeks.
She is fine if we are travelling on the motorway or major roads but on the local welsh roads she looks decidedly green and 'honks'!
We give her half a Sealegs tablet the night before a long journey and this does work. (She weighs about 18 kgs). They were recommended by a friend with a dog that suffered travel sickness. :thumb:

lez17

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Hampshire England
Funster No
MH
Caravan @ mo
Exp
10+
We have 5 Whippets ( race them), they adore going away in our caravan. They travel in fitted cages in back of the Discovery and belt straight out and into the caravan when we get to our destination.....all 5 sleep with us,its very cosy:smalllove:

Floyd's Girl

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Many years as a caravanner, 4 months in a mhome & loving it!
We travel with two labradors - as soon as you put their beds down on the floor behind the cab, they lie down, go to sleep, and only wake up when we're either in traffic or stopped completely.

We should restrain them, but we don't want to take their cage, nor do we want them on the seats, so we'll probably get harnesses and clip them by their leads to the passenger seats, when we get around to it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back