Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well I have said more than once that I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming from Win XP sp3.

Well I installed a copy of Win7 Ultimate 64bit on a modest desktop last week and I must admit I have been most impressed. The speed is impressive and the software has some nice subtle touches and lacks the annoying hand holding that Vista suffered. I like it a lot.

Looks like I'll be leaving XP after all:Eeek:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must admit I like 7 also.

Had to get a new computer that came with Vista did not like that at all but it came with a free update to 7, have used for some months now no complaints and seems good.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
best OS ever, I admit I had reservations when I bought a new laptop that came with it but I have been most impressed and wish I had done it earlier now, none of the compatibility issies I had with vista,and it repairs itself!! great:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I bought a new lappy last week with 7 preloaded and its doing my head in. I cant stand it.

I havent used it that much and havent had the time to understand whats going on so maybe its just me and when I get used too using It I will see the benefits.

As a side I havent used a lappy for some time and the mouse pad is driving me up the wall, wouldn't you think that they would come up with something better.

Its not easy when using a new lappy with its own features and a new os, when you pull the mouse across a page all manner of stuff pops up. :whatthe:

Jim
:RollEyes:

Edit: And if June had her way it would have been through the widnow by now. :whatthe:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
I purchased a legal copy of Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit, I have now been told that I should have got a copy of the 64 bit version with it, is that correct do they ship copies of both at the same time, I have been back to the supplier and they say no they only ship the version you requested, did anyone else get a copy of both systems ?

Thanks

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I purchased a legal copy of Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit, I have now been told that I should have got a copy of the 64 bit version with it, is that correct do they ship copies of both at the same time, I have been back to the supplier and they say no they only ship the version you requested, did anyone else get a copy of both systems ?

Thanks

As said, mine came preloaded but if you have a licenced copy on disc and you have installed it to your machine you should be able to get an upgrade downloaded from the MS web site.

Jim

oddjob

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Cleveleys Nr Blackpool
Funster No
Exp
next monday hopefully
Got 7 on the special launch price last October £49
Upgraded the laptop with it from vista runs perfect much better than the others
Also have it on the base unit in the office on partitions with xp and vista ,
the only thing i struggle with is my printer prints very slow on 7 so use xp for the printing,

As a side I havent used a lappy for some time and the mouse pad is driving me up the wall, wouldn't you think that they would come up with something better.
get a wireless mouse or plug a corded one in
oddjob

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Got 7 on the special launch price last October £49
Upgraded the laptop with it from vista runs perfect much better than the others
Also have it on the base unit in the office on partitions with xp and vista ,
the only thing i struggle with is my printer prints very slow on 7 so use xp for the printing,

get a wireless mouse or plug a corded one in
oddjob

Now theres an example of how much I know. I didnt know you could plug a normal mouse in. I do intend to get a wireless mouse.

Thanks

Jim
:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Now theres an example of how much I know. I didnt know you could plug a normal mouse in. I do intend to get a wireless mouse.

Thanks

Jim
What you need Jim is some expert tuition
here goes
When you buy your mouse thingy
the tail end goes in the lap wot not and you hold the head bit in your hand poking it in the eyes to make it do stuff:thumb:
Hope that helps
Geo
PHd computer studies

GuitarDave

Free Member
Apr 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Quite agree

Well I have said more than once that I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming from Win XP sp3.

Well I installed a copy of Win7 Ultimate 64bit on a modest desktop last week and I must admit I have been most impressed. The speed is impressive and the software has some nice subtle touches and lacks the annoying hand holding that Vista suffered. I like it a lot.

Looks like I'll be leaving XP after all:Eeek:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I also moved on from XP and I'm totally impressed with Windows7. I think Bill has finally got it right. I run Apple Mac Snow Leopard as well and I find there is little to chose between the quality of the two systems

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Hi there,
Glad to see such positive comments about Win 7. Early reports were terrible and it looked like another Microsoft "Lets issue it before we've sorted out the faults" job.
My main PC died a few days ago and, as a dyed in the wool XP user, I was dreading having to move to Win 7. :Angry:
How easy is it to get drivers etc for older hardware?
Hope my experience of Win 7 is as positive as yours. :thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I haven't noted that Windows 7 is any better than XP Professional, although it runs relatively well on a new desktop I acquired last year. More recently, I bought a netbook from Argos running Win 7 and it was really slow and clunky - it was the stripped-down Basic Win 7 though. I returned the netbook due to hardware failure and paid a bit extra to get the Samsung N130 and chose the XP version which is exceptional - seamless wireless and dongle performance and generally very stable indeed with the netbook providing an amazing battery life of over 6 hours. XP also seems to run peripherals / printers a lot better than Win 7 or Vista, I have noticed, or perhaps mine are just a bit old now and new kit will have optimised Win 7 drivers!!

My laptop is one of those with the dreaded Vista, but touch wood, I have had no problems with it at all and rather than upgrading software for the sake of it, I thought I'd wait and see if it was really necessary, which so far, it hasn't been.

I still prefer our Macs - an Intelbased one running the latest Snow Leopard and a very hi spec G5 running Tiger, plus an ancient G4 chugging along on Tiger as well, all of which seem to have a longevity about them that is completely lacking in any of the Windows kit......:Eeek:

I've given up the mad rush to upgrade everything and install new operating systems whenever one is released, unless there is a genuine need to do so, wish I'd done that years ago and saved loads!!! :ROFLMAO:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: Having been using XP for some years especially Professional. I have a few problems when sorting other Laptops on Almafra who have Vista and now Win 7. I can usually get to grips with them, but not super efficiently finding where everything is.
However, I NOW have a new Laptop with Win 7 Home Premium and I must admit, it IS very good. Still getting to grips with the easiest/quickest way to find things when I need to sort them. Like it. :thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've given up the mad rush to upgrade everything and install new operating systems whenever one is released, unless there is a genuine need to do so, wish I'd done that years ago and saved loads!!!

Same here...having tried out Snow Leopard, I'll leave my Mac laptop on 10.5 for now. There's too much mission critical stuff on it and the gains aren't worth it...plus I'll need to upgrade some of my software. Having managed to clobber the case, I might wait until I can afford to send it in for a repair and upgrade the OS at the same time.

My main development/test box is still on XP...I've got Vista running under virtualization on the Mac and it's OK, but until one of my customers seriously considers Windows 7 I'll wait.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Thanks

Jim

get a wired mouse jim, remember a lappy is a portable tool and you dont want usb wireless dongles hanging off it to get broken when you forget its there and put the lappy down in anything but the clearest of spaces.

believe me they break easy....as shirl just found out with her brand new wireless mouse dongle :Doh:

fine if you have built in wireless function. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Thanks

Jim

I've always used a mouse with laptops. Can't get away with trackpads at all. I did try a wireless one once but found it wasn't all that good. I use a travel mouse with retractable cable for the netbook we take in the van.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Been running Windows 7 64 bit for some time at work prior to a systemwide rollout later this year....

Running really great and Aero is a bonus....

Also running the windows xp mode as a virtual xp pro machine on it for "retro" customer support.....

Can't fault it running seamlessly even with all the test and beta software I have to run.On 6 gb ram at the moment....:Cool:

Even the lappy on wireless has been ultra stable and the one on Vista is fine....Changing my mind about that O/S....Upgrades and runs stably...They were just not ready with the drivers when it was released...That's even happening with Windows 7....

Steve.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Changing my mind about that O/S....Upgrades and runs stably...They were just not ready with the drivers when it was released...That's even happening with Windows 7....

Steve.

:RollEyes: That has been the biggest problem with helping others to set up a new Laptop to run old Wifi Dongles/boosters. Drivers are gradually being implemented now though.
The stupidest fix was in Spain with a Vodafone Broadband dongle to run on a Vista machine.
The Computer shop that he bought it from had no idea of what the problem was. The Vodafone dongle was set up to run on an XP machine.
I had to download the new Vista version onto my XP then load that onto the Dongle. Run it to make sure it worked and then run it on the Vista machine. :Doh:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Nice one John....

Life is never simple is it?????

We have so many customers buying windows 7 machines...especially 64 bit....without even considering being able to run their existing equipment...some if it getting on a bit...

It's left to us to try to find a solution and pick up the pieces..:Doh:

Salesmen have no idea...They make all these promises at these superstores...and get the commission....Its support that picks up the flak.:Angry: Take the problem back to those who made the sale...and they don't want to know...

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: Back in May a friend had an old Lappy that had ALL his info of banking etc on it with NO backups. He took it to the Computer shop. 90 Euros and one week later they said it was trashed and he would have to buy a new Laptop. I said let me have a look at it.
1 1/2 hours later I had it up and running with full access to ALL his info.
Computer shop workers (in the most part) are nothing but salesmen. IMH&HO. :ROFLMAO:

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
got windows 7 on our desktop went for 32bit as the 64bit still hit and miss on drivers and some software.

our sony laptop vgn fe21b is xp cannot upgrade to w7 as sony support are poor in releasing drivers.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Now that I am running Windows 7 64 bit, I thought I would take advantage of the 64bit systems capability of using more than around 3.5gb of memory. Yesterday I bought another 4gb of memory and the system can now see and use a full 8gb

The performance increase when working with my large book and photoshop files was astounding, most impressed. :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Have you tried using an external usb2 device for extra system memory yet.....

Great for those memory-intensive programs....:thumb:

Just ensure, the same as always, you don't remove the usb device when the pc is using it....:Eeek:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Jim

Plug in the usb memory stick

Right Click on it and click on Readyboost..

See below...

Windows ReadyBoost

This feature is included in the following editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7

Link Removed Home Basic

Link Removed Home Premium

Link Removed Business

Link Removed Ultimate

Compare editions

With Windows ReadyBoost you can use non-volatile flash memory, such as that on a universal serial bus (USB) flash drive, to improve performance without having to add additional memory "under the hood."
Link Removed Windows ReadyBoost.

The flash memory device serves as an additional memory cache—that is, memory that the computer can access much more quickly than it can access data on the hard drive. Windows ReadyBoost relies on the intelligent memory management of Windows SuperFetch and can significantly improve system responsiveness.
It is easy to use Windows ReadyBoost. When a removable memory device such as a USB flash drive or a secure digital (SD) memory card is first inserted into a port, Windows Vista/7 checks to see if its performance is fast enough to work with Windows ReadyBoost. If so, you are asked if you want to use this device to speed up system performance. You can choose to allocate part of a USB drive's memory to speed up performance and use the remainder to store files.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Another good way to use ready boost is on a machine which has a card reader. Use a fast SD card for example. Nothing sticking out of the machine that way.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Salesmen have no idea...They make all these promises at these superstores...and get the commission....Its support that picks up the flak.:Angry: Take the problem back to those who made the sale...and they don't want to know...

I went into a computer superstore once for some laptop memory - asked the manager where I could find the SO DIMMs. Answer "In the back, they're having their tea break" :roflmto:

Graham

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Its not easy when using a new lappy with its own features and a new os, when you pull the mouse across a page all manner of stuff pops up. :whatthe:

Jim
:RollEyes:

Edit: And if June had her way it would have been through the window by now. :whatthe:

I hate the touch pad on my laptop and I don't like the smaller keypad too much either.

So I use a miniature USB mouse when out of the house and a wireless mouse and keyboard at home.

It's all rather easy - just plug something into a USB port.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back