Bailey Autograph - Noisy 'sunroof' (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
We did our first 'long distance' run to the Lake District and back last weekend. Does anyone else have a problem with the over cab 'sunroof' suffering a lot of wind noise? On the motorway, its so loud I can't have a proper conversation with 'er indoors (some would see this as a blessing in disguise). At one point I considered shoving ear plugs in. I've heard of a 'fix' but I don't know which model year this 'fix' applies to. Mine is a 2017. Any advise, as always, gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Roof Spoiler may be the answer..
Fiamma Universal Spoiler
Universal spoiler aerodynamic roof spoiler, ideal for reducing vibrations and rooflight noise whilst travelling. Made with UV-ray resistant sturdy PVC material. It can be shortened to adapt itself to the different rooflights with dimensions from 110cm to 28cm. Easy to install without tools and without drilling the roof: can be attatched with suitable adhesives. Complete with smart lateral aerodynamic end caps. Dimensions 110 x 20 x 12cm

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/rooflights-vents/fiamma-universal-spoiler-1296-p.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Take it back to the dealer - there is an easy fix. If yours has two catches at the top (not sides) they should replace with a three catch version of the window (not surround) and improved seal.

Whippetgood

Free Member
May 3, 2018
Funster No
Ours was noisy and the dealer fixed it - still only have the two caches though! I think that they tightened the catches up a bit to compress the seal but I have also heard of seals being replaced.
Jon

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,
Mine is a 2018 and I also have the same problem, it’s going to the dealer next week, mine has the 3 catches! Only noisy on the drivers side and whistles like trooper at about 50/60 mph.

Darren

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes a common problem. Fixed by dealer replacing the seal. (No seals were harmed to bring you this information :whistle:)

Wyn

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Yes, the dealer has replaced our seal with the 'Mod Kit' from Bailey. Haven't driven it 'at speed' yet to test if the fix as worked or not, will report back.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Has it made a difference... ish. I think it depends on which way the wind in blowing, it seems to be fine in a head wind, but a cross wind on the m/way and its still damn loud. Me thinks a little bit of spongy draft excluder around the edge of the sunroof would solve it.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
I`ve got an Advance 640 2016. A couple of times in extremely high wind, parked up not driving the sky lights were rattling terrible. Might look into this replacement larger seals, any suggestions?

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi Euro330 I think the updated seals mentioned above were for the over cab sunroof on the 2017 model Autograph II vans, we had the issue with ours and had it replaced under warranty as per above.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
We had same problem with the cab sunroof. The dealer fixed it the issue and it’s been fine since.

Dec 9, 2018
N Lincs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2003
Our cab sun roof whistled and used to "jump" open during travel but it was due to the catches not holding on the "keep", I spaced the catches out with washers and no more trouble. I did claim a new seal under warranty (2017 Autograph) but the height of the seal lip was the same as the old one so would not have been any better. As it was the catches at fault I didn't even bother to fit it. The same uneven road surface ( and for that read anything bigger than a cat's eye!) that caused the sun roof to open also caused the overhead lockers to spring open, I cured this by sliding some 13mm foam pipe insulation over the central cupboard divider, its ready cut down its length so just slide on a 6" piece on each divider. It serves to maintain some pressure on the push catches so they don't bounce when you travel down the lovely smooth roads we have in the UK. The only other niggles we have are next to useless fresh water tank gauge and the back light metal covers rusting ( warranty refused on the latter, why I don't know as it is a recognised fault) Like others I agree it's wide and too low but we like it, just need to take a bit more care at times

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
My 2017 has had the back light covers replaced under warranty as have many other owners. Go back to your dealer and insist.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Its a known fault. Your dealer will sort it. Some do and some don't. From a dealers point of view its difficult to road test as it only normally starts at speeds over 60MPH. Customers do tend to get annoyed when you take there brand new motorhome for a run on the motorway!

William34

Free Member
Mar 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6 Coachbui
My wife and I have a 6 month old 79-6 only done 1300 miles due to lockdown
We have a problem with wind noise on the sun roof above cab even though we have 4 catches it appears to be coming from the bottom hinge area any ideas out there

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
My wife and I have a 6 month old 79-6 only done 1300 miles due to lockdown
We have a problem with wind noise on the sun roof above cab even though we have 4 catches it appears to be coming from the bottom hinge area any ideas out there
Get the seal replaced under warranty also check that the window latches are on the correct way around 👍

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Hi. I had the same issue on my 794. Get it into the dealer and get them to sort it. It’s a common problem on these buses.

Dec 9, 2018
N Lincs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2003
Hi William34, we have a 2017, 75-2, but I'm pretty sure it has the same sun roof as yours, our problem was (like the aeroplane style overhead lockers) that it sprung open on heavy bumps and bad road surfaces as well as whistling on motorways. Trip to nearest Bailey service agent, pointed out it was a warranty issue. A new seal arrived, another trip, looking at new seal it was identical to old one ie the upstand of the sealing edge was no greater so would have had no effect in stopping the whistling or jumping open. I fixed the issue myself (like most of my warranty issues) by using spacers/washers under the catches to ensure they fully engage with the blades on the handles thus closing the roof tighter. Originally the catches were only engaging in half of the slot, so any flexing/movement of the sun roof/body resulted in them releasing. The "self opening" overhead lockers were fixed by using 1/2" foam pipe lagging, cut down one edge ( it is ready scored) and slipping this over the vertical divider in the cupboards, I used about 6inches of lagging for every cupboard in the van and touch wood none have jumped open on our all too frequent rough roads. The foam lagging compresses when you close the locker door then serves to keep some pressure on the push catches which in turn stops the doors bouncing and releasing. Others have mentioned the rear light metal surround rusting, they all do and it is certainly a poor design from Baileys supplier, cheap far eastern tin with a micro thickness bit of black paint ! Bailey refused to replace mine, no reason given, although the photo taken by service agent was pretty poor I admit, I have taken them off to stop the rust stains and will sand them down and paint properly before refit.
Apart from the above minor issues and I do consider they are minor I really like the Bailey, yes it is wide and low but when on site it comes into its own, our friends with similar layout 'vans from Elldis, Swift are always amazed at the space inside and everyone always gathers in our van at the end of the day.

Can't wait to get out again.

Good luck solving your problem (if you want some pics showing what I did I let me know)

William34

Free Member
Mar 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6 Coachbui
Thank you all for your advice once lockdown is over I will take as you suggested to the main dealer it is there problem to fix your right
i did think may be a wind deflector but as you say they need to sort it out

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Hi funsters, my Bailey 765 has developed the dreaded whistle at above about 50 mph from the overhead cab skylight. My mojo is 6 years old and obviously not covered by warranty. I have been in touch with Prima and am awaiting delivery of the new seals which I intend to fit myself. Has anyone else done this job and have you any pointers?
Thanks in advance.

William34

Free Member
Mar 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6 Coachbui
Hi
i have a 2020 79/6 with the same problem
would have thought they would have sorted it out by no
fortunately we are under warranty and the agent is fitting a new one in July but not sure this fixes the problem
an engineer I no thinks it is a hinge problem

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
The seals on the 'sunroof' are rubbish. I had the seal replaced about 18 months ago. Having driven from Northwich to Bristol this afternoon in the howling wind I think I need new eardrums. The din was apocalyptic!!

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Just a little update for this thread. I used a self adhesive 1 x 1 inch foam around the skylight. It worked like a charm, there is now no 'roar' of wind on the motorway.

Attachments

• IMG_6111.jpeg
    IMG_6111.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6112.jpeg
    IMG_6112.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_6113.jpeg
    IMG_6113.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_6114.jpeg
    IMG_6114.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6115.jpeg
    IMG_6115.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6116.jpeg
    IMG_6116.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Good work but shame on Bailey that youve had to do all this work .
I did have the 'upgraded' seal done by Bailey within 3 months of having the bus. It cut down the noise a bit, but thought I'd go the 'extra' mile now its out of warranty and do a 'proper job'. Quite pleased with myself LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back