Charity shopping (1 Viewer)

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I am almost embarrassed to admit this, but our hobby (if you can call it a hobby) is to visit as many charity shops (or Op Shops as they are called here in New Zealand) in search of “treasures”. My hubby collects old vinyl records, mainly pop music of the 1950s and 60s, and I collect - well, anything really.
When we bought our Motorhome in the UK we stuffed it full of treasures. Luckily the space under the lounge seats was exactly the right size to take LPs.
After six months of touring the UK we shipped our lucky finds back to NZ at huge expense, so they were no longer bargains, but they provide happy memories of a great holiday.
I suspect we are not alone in our hobby, but who is prepared to admit to being a charity shop-aholic?

OP
OP
KiwiKampers
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
They are so right! When we go to Aussie we have an app to direct us to the Op Shops in every town - Vinnies, Salvoes, etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
There are two such shops in Cowbridge near where our eldest daughter lives, whenever we visit her my wife make a beeline for them and has found some great outfits at very good prices. I on the other hand have found nothing.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Trouble is they all smell of wee:(

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We love a good mooch in charity shops. Disabled daughter loves to check if they have her magnetics In. She is always wanting more to make even bigger designs
IMG_20180817_164617.jpg

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Were you at LINCOLN show about 4 years ago before you went back to NZ.

OP
OP
KiwiKampers
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
No, we were not at Lincoln Show, but we have been to Lincoln a few times. The last time was about 2 or 3 years ago when the Gothic Festival was on. Fantastic.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Don't be embarrassed we enjoy a good 'nose' around charity shops. We were in Perth in Scotland one day and I heard a woman say that there were 42 charity shops in Perth, we both looked at each other and knew what each of us thought about that..."Now there's a challenge". We then visited all 42.

OP
OP
KiwiKampers
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Don't be embarrassed we enjoy a good 'nose' around charity shops. We were in Perth in Scotland one day and I heard a woman say that there were 42 charity shops in Perth, we both looked at each other and knew what each of us thought about that..."Now there's a challenge". We then visited all 42.
Perth sounds like my sort of town. I admire your devotion to duty, but don't you think you should admit you have a problem. I am currently on the 12-steps programme with Op-Shops Anonymous and haven't been shopping for 3 days (admittedly, one of those was a Sunday so the shops weren't open).

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Perth sounds like my sort of town. I admire your devotion to duty, but don't you think you should admit you have a problem. I am currently on the 12-steps programme with Op-Shops Anonymous and haven't been shopping for 3 days (admittedly, one of those was a Sunday so the shops weren't open).
No its not a problem if everyone around you does the same. My son and partner are professionals with good salaries, they live in Christchurch NZ. They also use charity shops and their daughter who is coming up to two is dressed from them. You may have bumped into them.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I love a good rummage! Over the years I've made some fantastic finds.:D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Once upon at time you could find the odd hidden gem.. then sell on for a profit.. today that would be rare.. even old vinyl records are now priced up to market value.. they now employ people to value items, and know the price of everything and if not they find what it's been sold for on ebay..

Example..
Some years ago I found two Singer Featherweight portable sewing machines , they date from the early 1950s and depending on condition can sell for £200 - £400 .. Highly sought after by collectors.. I snapped them both up for £50... kept them for a few years and recently sold one to an American buyer for £450. and the other to a UK collected for £250 ... I keep my eye out for them and recently saw one for sale in a charity shop, but they valued it at £200 ..

what puts me off is the 'charity shop smell'.. old clothes hanging on rails make some shops stink..

nowadays the best chance of finding hidden gems is at boot sales..

OP
OP
KiwiKampers
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
No its not a problem if everyone around you does the same. My son and partner are professionals with good salaries, they live in Christchurch NZ. They also use charity shops and their daughter who is coming up to two is dressed from them. You may have bumped into them.
Tell your son to go to the MacLean's Island Swap Meet in Christchurch next month (13 & 14 October). It is a giant car boot sale and a great place to buy bargains - also for people watching! We will be going and camping overnight in our motorhome.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I wasn't a fan of Charity Shops and usually only went in for a cheap umbrella when caught in a shower. However, I must put in a plug for our newly opened Big C charity shop. I still don't think I would buy clothes but it is a wonderful source of craft items, dress and knitting patterns and lovely books reasonably priced. I'm in the shop every week teaching patchwork and box making and cannot resist browsing the books and rarely come away empty handed. :rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They are so right! When we go to Aussie we have an app to direct us to the Op Shops in every town - Vinnies, Salvoes, etc.
Have you the link please?

Paper back books is usually our purchase for in the van.
Many I go in they are far too dear. 50p is the most I'll pay.Even that's pushing it unless there's 3for a£ :) St.John's or Age concern, usually 25p s book.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
DVDs to play in the van and then pass on is our favourite purchase in charity shops :)

We also browse Entertainment Exchange for DVDs as well.

OP
OP
KiwiKampers
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Javea in Spain has some great charity shops. I got an electric pizza oven from one for 6 euros, i can cook anything on it...a great buy. The dog one is really cheap for DVD's and books. I also go in to look at the dynamics of leadership and how the staff relate to each other. Again there's a big one in Javea thats recently moved where the staff openly bitch about each other.I went in to one in Preston where there were 5 staff behind the counter all of them looked like retired professionals apart from one young girl who obviously had learning difficulties. I was the only on in there and they were all sat around waiting to serve me. The young girl asked her seniors if she could go out for a fag break. Then one of the old dears replied "Oh Cheryl you really do take advantage of us"!

May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
You have to love a good charity shop. I volunteer in our local Marie Curie shop,which I like to call the Locks Heath 'boutique' and usually come away at least once a week with a bargain. It's good for the environment as its like recycling, and also healthy on your bank balance. Not to forget helping to fund the wonderful nurses supporting the patients and their families.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Like @Puddleduck , I check out the dvd's to use in the moho, wife like's browsing for all sorts , nearly every time she gets a fluffy stuffed toy/animal for asbo.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
In a local charity shop dvds £1 and they never sell hardly any, in a cash converter type shop 5 for a £1.
I said to the charity shop do a swop system of say .50p to swop a DVD at least it would earn something for them. A year later still the sane dvds on the shelfs.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I was in one once and found the box set of the first series of The west Wing. The first disc had been pinched. Shop worker says it happens all of the time. Who would steal from a charity shop. I was in another in Sidmouth and a loud mouth smart arse went up to the till and was told the price of the item was £5, he said 'I'll give you £2". The shop worker replied slowly and loudly so that everyone in the shop could here "Its a charity shop sir...….a charity shop. we don't give the charity back to people like you"

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I love a good look round charity shops and have found a few bargains, like the motorhome table a few weeks back for £4

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back