Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
There are many of us, as pensioners, that spend quite a lot of time on the continent in single or multiple trips, however we are now aware of problems regarding residency status. I had a heated discussion with the DWP with me taking from the discussion that as far as they are concerned you are either resident in the UK or not. There doesn't seem to be a category for those of us based in the UK but spend more than a short holiday (their words) in the EU. If you spend a lot of time on the continent, even without a fixed address, you are deemed to be non- residents of UK. The S1 form was touted as a way of getting health care over and above the E111 card, which you would show to the provider in each country as required. Also the DWP wanted to be informed of every time you came and went into the UK, and it was suggested you did the same every country you visited, as your entitlement to NHS ceases on departure, but can be re-instated on return. None of this is practical. How are other people managing this as 'roamers', as we are trying to plan what we do for the rest of our lives.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
S1 is the form you are issued as non UK resident which is 1 day over 6 months. You take it to the relèvent health authority of your new country and they register your details and issue whatever is required to receive treatment in that country . Here in France it is a Carte Vitale . Remember it only entitles you to the same as a national of that country which in France is 70% of the cost so an insurance is needed to top up the balance.
I would assume that most people do not tell the UK they are out of the country but with B looming that may well change . I would suspect that passports will be stamped on entry to European ports and airports and checked and stamped on exit wherever that is . But who knows .

Reactions: DBK

Deleted User
We have been doing that for ten years and would advise anyone that the last thing to do is get involved with any government agency, government departments do not do joined up thinking or communicate with one another. There are all sorts of rules regarding this but I have never met anyone doing the same as us that has attempted to follow all the official government rules and certainly not got voluntarily involved in giving them information, if they want to know let them ask.

I am not advising lying to anyone but give them the minimum of information and try and comply with as many of the rules as possible ie return for short periods every so often, there are many cheap flights available these days, cheap hotel for a night or two if you feel it necessary.

It is unknown what will happen after we leave the EU but I am sure that extended trips will still be do-able.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Janiemou

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We have been doing that for ten years and would advise anyone that the last thing to do is get involved with any government agency, government departments do not do joined up thinking or communicate with one another. There are all sorts of rules regarding this but I have never met anyone doing the same as us that has attempted to follow all the official government rules and certainly not got voluntarily involved in giving them information, if they want to know let them ask.

I am not advising lying to anyone but give them the minimum of information and try and comply with as many of the rules as possible ie return for short periods every so often, there are many cheap flights available these days, cheap hotel for a night or two if you feel it necessary.

It is unknown what will happen after we leave the EU but I am sure that extended trips will still be do-able.

What we are worried about is needing treatment, as we get older, whilst on travels if forced to go the S1 route as E111 card would be cancelled. The system doesn't cope with people who take advantage of roaming Europe freely. In theory they could add up all your absences and say you are no longer resident in UK, but not resident anywhere making you stateless!!. The system works for those wintering/ summering in Spain etc but not for us ad hocs, more's the pity.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

You are right in that people don’t ask and hope nothing happens that shows they are not correct . Also correct that no one knows after Brexit except in the event if a no deal we all become TCN ( Third Country Nationals ) in the eyes of Europe and their treatment is quite different from EU nationals which I can verify from visiting the Dept Étrangers here . We have Australian neighbours who have to leave after 3 months résidence so can’t see it being any different for UK if no deal .

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You're over thinking it.
Have your ehic card and travel insurance. Say nothing and carry on. The S1 is only for state pensioners who seek official residency abroad.
Keep a UK address. We use boatmail.
We've been abroad for 3 years now only returning for an mot and never had a problem.

.......may change after B but no one knows for sure.

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Agree with the above, we were over there for 13 months, I need to have 6 monthly UK hospital check ups, I flew in, hired a little car, got checked and went back. I have been to a French hospital once and a Spanish dentist twice, on all occasions the treatment was first class with practically no wait, I flashed my EHIC card, and in the case of the hospital a 26E bill dropped into my registered UK address, which I happily paid online. The first Spanish dentist wouldn't take any payment for a temporary filling, the second charged me 30E, for a detailed conversation regarding the side effects of radiotherapy to the mouth.

Deleted User
What we are worried about is needing treatment, as we get older, whilst on travels if forced to go the S1 route as E111 card would be cancelled. The system doesn't cope with people who take advantage of roaming Europe freely. In theory they could add up all your absences and say you are no longer resident in UK, but not resident anywhere making you stateless!!. The system works for those wintering/ summering in Spain etc but not for us ad hocs, more's the pity.

We have been doing the 'ad hoc roaming thing for over 10 years without problems, a few minor medical problems sorted with EHIC.
Two major operations in the UK this year, as @BreweryDave says keep UK address, stay in the UK system, obtaining residency anywhere brings too many complications.
If you are using a UK registered vehicle you will have to stay in the UK system and return once a year for mot unless vehicle is new.
Wait and see what happens after we leave the EU if you are worried.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We have been doing the 'ad hoc roaming thing for over 10 years without problems, a few minor medical problems sorted with EHIC.
Two major operations in the UK this year, as @BreweryDave says keep UK address, stay in the UK system, obtaining residency anywhere brings too many complications.
If you are using a UK registered vehicle you will have to stay in the UK system and return once a year for mot unless vehicle is new.
Wait and see what happens after we leave the EU if you are worried.
You are correct reference the wait and see . All depends on the deal but is sure to change whatever happens

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
That can be the case as a gentleman living ‘ under the radar ‘ got a letter from Dept of Health to his ‘ UK ‘ address asking where is your country of residence as he had had multiple visits to a hospital in Portugal so it does happen . They also queried his benefits

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back