12v Telly?? (1 Viewer)

Oakley's Taxi

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Funster No
Hi Funsters,

Looking for some advice with referance to getting a TV for my recentely purchased motorhome. Now I don't intend to watch it all that much but wanted it on hand for those cold wet evenings.

I've been looking at the 12v/240v TVs but they all seem to be upwards of 200 quid!

I've also seen cheep TVs in local supermarkets and wondered if it would be just as cheep to get one of those and a power convertor to plug it into when not on a hook up.
Will this work??? And if so how succesful will it be?? I'm guessing that these power convertor thingys may take a lot out of my lesuire battery but not to sure.

Hope someone can help!!

Thanks,

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
plenty of 12v TV's about , just look for one one that says in the list of connection ...12v input , or in the list of things supplied ...mains converter

only thing is , battery gives more than 12v ... will that damage it ? not clear to me
of course you can fit a voltage stabiliser ....extra 40 or so

have a look at argos to start

Upvote 0

jennyd

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just under a year
We bought a 240/12v tele from Tesco - 15" screen and cost about £125 bought a 12v connector of ebay for about £3 and it all works perfectly - cant understand the price of TV's at £200+ :RollEyes:

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think the main differences between a £100 asda tv and a £250+ 'made for motorhome' tv is, the latter is more robust for travelling and will have the 12v stabiliser circuitry already built in.

certainly doesnt warrent the extra £150+ in my book. :RollEyes:

my 15" LCD was £110 from asda and had it 3 years now but i do use a 12v stabiliser.

my onboard charger is capable of outputting 14.8v which can and probably will damage it without the stab...

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Grundig GU19WDVD3 19in HD

If you can get hold of one of these you won't be disappointed.

They are mains- 12v, budget in an Amperor stab and you're all the bash.

DVD Card Reader and Memory stick reader.:thumb:

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
tks derek , I'm in the market as well
had a look at the spec on argos , unfortunately it is not the latest spec with led backlighting . not important if you are on mains but the 25-30% reduction in 12v consumption is important to me !
looking at both side by side the picture quality is better with the led , important as these cheap sets are not HD

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
IMO you get what you pay for. Cheap = Poor Quality, Expensive = Good Quality. So - you pays your money and you take your chances.

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Oakley's Taxi

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Funster No
If you can get hold of one of these you won't be disappointed.

They are mains- 12v, budget in an Amperor stab and you're all the bash.

DVD Card Reader and Memory stick reader.:thumb:

Thanks Derek. Just to clarify then, does it actually come with a 12v adapter or would I need to purchase one of those seperately??

Looks like a good buy though, thanks :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Oakley's Taxi

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Funster No
Just been doing some more surfing and found this http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-5290.aspx on tesco web site.
A Technika 15.4" HD Ready LCD TV with built-in Freeview & DVD Player anyone bought one and know if its any good??

Its only £120 but I'm not sure if it does 12v?? How do I check???

:Confused:

Upvote 0

mavisangelica

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Newcastle
Funster No
Exp
Just been doing some more surfing and found this http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-5290.aspx on tesco web site.
A Technika 15.4" HD Ready LCD TV with built-in Freeview & DVD Player anyone bought one and know if its any good??

Its only £120 but I'm not sure if it does 12v?? How do I check???

:Confused:

We have just bought one of these from the local store and it definitely is 12v. The transformer is on the detatchable power lead. The sales person said a few people had been in that week to buy one for their caravans.

I have only tried it so far on the mains to test it but we have previously had a cheap television from Asda that ran no problem direct from 12v..

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi Funsters,

Looking for some advice with referance to getting a TV for my recentely purchased motorhome. Now I don't intend to watch it all that much but wanted it on hand for those cold wet evenings.

I've been looking at the 12v/240v TVs but they all seem to be upwards of 200 quid!
The fact that you "don't intend to watch it all that much" makes me wonder if you want a television to view the occasional movie on and then stick it away in a cupboard, or one which 'takes over' the motorhome?

I bought one of these little sets for occasional viewing;

Link Removed

Takes up virtually zero space. Packs flat. Works on 240/12v with no need for stabiliser etc. Comes complete with everything including remote. Cost about £60 new but look around and you will get one cheaper now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Oakley's Taxi

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Funster No
We have just bought one of these from the local store and it definitely is 12v. The transformer is on the detatchable power lead. The sales person said a few people had been in that week to buy one for their caravans.

I have only tried it so far on the mains to test it but we have previously had a cheap television from Asda that ran no problem direct from 12v..

Have you tried it on 12v yet mavisangelica?? I had a closer look in store today and a nice helpful assistant opened up the instruction manual and there was nothing in there to sugest it would work on 12v.

I guess you could get one of those 12 - 220v convertors though. Does anyone know were you can get a good deal on one of those and what size a 15" tv would require????

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
did you look at the back for an entry marked 12v ?
inverts have a big power loss , hope you have plenty of batteries

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I haven't seen a 12v telly in ASDA or Tesco for a year or two now, mains staight in.

Turn the display tellys around and have a look for yourelf, I doo.

Re the Grundig, it is 12v but I have an Amperor stabilising unit so I can use it in a truck-24v or the van,12.8+v.

You could,of course, chance your mitplug it straight in to your 12v system but if you started the engine or hooked up your van with the telly on then you may well fry it.

You pays yer money and ye takes yer chances.:whatthe:

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We have one of these Link Removed - built in freeview, DVD player, USB reader, runs on 240v & 12v and has rechargable batteries so you can charge it while you have power and watch it wild-camping without straining your leisure battery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Oakley's Taxi

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Funster No
We have one of these Link Removed - built in freeview, DVD player, USB reader, runs on 240v & 12v and has rechargable batteries so you can charge it while you have power and watch it wild-camping without straining your leisure battery.

Thanks Steelysteph,

Looks like a great little unit. Can't find many outlets that actually sell it online though. Where did you get yours????

:thumb:

Upvote 0

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I have a portable DVD player with its own screen, and bought a £20 digital TV box to connect to it, so just using the DVD player screen as a monitor. It works perfectly when connected to a decent TV aerial. Prolem is always there are few places where you can get a good enough signal when parked up in a van. Aldi have a 12volt or 240 volt portable satellite TV system for about £50 if you are prepared to mess about tuning in a dish on the roof every time you park up. Personally I find it easier just to watch DVDs I have recorded from the TV at home.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi see att

Attachments

• SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

JohnK

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Funster No
I bought one of those TV thumb sticks for the laptop, cost about 30 quid ... works a treat, amazed at the picture quality and amount of channels I picked up, will also pick up analogue if your in a poor digital area I was even getting a picture with the small magnetic antenna that was supplied... saves loads of space which in a swb van is a god send.:Smile:

John

Upvote 0

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
as I have a vw topaz , have been looking around for a flip down T,V, has anybody have one ,or one that can be recommended, looking for something with a 10 inch screen, or there abouts

Upvote 0

mavisangelica

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Newcastle
Funster No
Exp
Have you tried it on 12v yet mavisangelica?? I had a closer look in store today and a nice helpful assistant opened up the instruction manual and there was nothing in there to sugest it would work on 12v.

I guess you could get one of those 12 - 220v convertors though. Does anyone know were you can get a good deal on one of those and what size a 15" tv would require????

No, not yet - we are hopefully going away next weekend to try the van & I can hopefully get Hubby to make a new lead up. We need to buy a cigarette lighter type connection.

The power lead is detachable and has the transformer?? inline on the power lead so basically the tv is 12v and the unit on the power lead converts it to work on 240v.

In the caravan, we ran the television straight off a spare leisure battery just for the television so that we still had power if we drained it.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
as I have a vw topaz , have been looking around for a flip down T,V, has anybody have one ,or one that can be recommended, looking for something with a 10 inch screen, or there abouts

there is a supplier of these on fleabay called eonon
they do loads even rear view mirror type and sunvisors.

i have no connection with them whatsoever just seen them when browsing.

Upvote 0

Cruising Comet

Free Member
Jun 24, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi-Top
Exp
1st season
We got this 12v TV from Richer Sounds, cracking little LCD TV for the money, is comes with a 3pin plug and transformer but also has a 12v input, so we got a 12v cigarette lighter lead from ebay and it runs a treat, the screen is plenty big enough for our VW camper, it has inbuilt analouge & freeview tuners so you have the best of both worlds, a steal at £99! and it looks really classy for the money, infact I don't think you will get a TV this good anywhere else for this money, if you want an optional 5yr warranty its still less than £110! which I think is a bargain :thumb:

Link: Link Removed

Upvote 0

Cruising Comet

Free Member
Jun 24, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi-Top
Exp
1st season
No, not yet - we are hopefully going away next weekend to try the van & I can hopefully get Hubby to make a new lead up. We need to buy a cigarette lighter type connection.

The power lead is detachable and has the transformer?? inline on the power lead so basically the tv is 12v and the unit on the power lead converts it to work on 240v.

In the caravan, we ran the television straight off a spare leisure battery just for the television so that we still had power if we drained it.

Think you need something like this? it's what we got for out TV and it works a treat

Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sun Lover

Free Member
Jun 24, 2010
Worcester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
OK, I would not reconmend doing what we did but we took the chance and bought a 3 in one flat screen tv from a trader at a car boot. We did not have the £75 pounds he wanted but he took a deposit of £10 and gave his address so we could go and collect it from him with the rest of the money. As it was, our daughter lent us the rest of the money so we paid there and then. Yes I know,.....I took a great chance but it works very well as we had it tested on the field. In fact he came with us to have it done. The tv is brill, the DVD is great. It comes with freeview and 12 volt/ 240 . We see him most weekends with his stall and for a few weeks asked if all was ok with the set saying if anything was wrong come to the house. We had seen them as much as £400 in the dealers so at £75 we got a bargain. All his goods where electric and new. :thumb::roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back