Tow cars. Why???? (1 Viewer)

andyjane59

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
Exp
Since July 09.
Can I please ask for enlightenment. I cannot understand why MH'ers tow a small car behind them. Why two vehicles with engines, MOT, insurance and tax when one engine etc and a caravan provides the same freedom to drive around. No offence intended.

GDH

Free Member
Jun 1, 2010
North West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
couple of months
When we had a caravan we had a large car for every day use, needed the larger one for the towing. Now we have a MH we have a small car, we put ours on a trailer to take with us. So less road tax, and a lot less fuel to buy. Yes the MH did cost more than the caravan, but we do have a lot more for our money. And for us it is much more user friendly. ::bigsmile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
MH, highly flexible item, use how you want, when you want, generally easier than tugging. Sometimes a car would be nice, and something fun/small will be easier to potter about in. Doing the tugging thing to the same level as the typical MH towing a car you'd be running a bigger (boring?) tow car so no fun.

Costs, the general sorts of figures I've seen for caravan insurance would easily cover tax and insurance for a typical toad (small) so not as much in my opinion of a cost extra, and bear in mind many use the toad as the general car so again, big tow car for tugging plus caravan insurance there probably isn't much in it at the end of the day.

We don't toad yet but we will, but just when we need and there is the beauty of the MH, nip of here and there as usual but add the car when needed, can't do that with a caravan, your escape is a fixed thing requiring a plan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Travelling in a motorhome is the best way in the world to travel. The second I pull out of my drive I am on holiday!

Travelling in a car long distances is horrible for me and my passengers. No TV no games, no cold drinks, no loo nothing! Also pratting around with steadies and water tanks and unloading all the stuff inside a caravan just to get lunch!

A small car on the back of the van is hardly noticable, and is no problem on the road. We only started towing once we bought a large dog which made cycling impractical. However we now wished that we had started years ago.

You could say why do you want to drive around in a motorhome when you could walk and use a tent?

What ever floats your boat! Don't try to understand it, embrace it:winky:

Eddie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can I please ask for enlightenment. I cannot understand why MH'ers tow a small car behind them. Why two vehicles with engines, MOT, insurance and tax when one engine etc and a caravan provides the same freedom to drive around. No offence intended.

Have a read here:

Link Removed

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I prefer the caravan , wild camped all over europe for 30 years , occasional use of sites

liked having a decent car when I decided to stay somewhere

didn't mind a motorhome in n.america , lots of space so could have a decent sized one

but age overtook us and a small motorhome is easier but less comfortable ; much more expensive but no good saving for your old age when you have got there :cry:
got to have a car at home as well of course

if you like to go somewhere and have a holiday staying on a site a caravan is VASTLY superior imho , if you like to keep moving [ like us ] a motorhome is easier

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

We had to make a decision when we decided to move into the world of camping, we quickly excluded a tent, which then left us with the choice of either a Caravan or a Motorhome, we spoke to loads of people and we made the decision for a Motorhome based upon the understanding at the time that we would be more likely to only want to stay anywhere for 1 or 2 nights at anytime, and that decision held firm for the first 1/2 years.

But then it has gradually changed, we find ourselves favouring certain places and staying there for longer periods perhaps 7/10 days at a time, we have tried buses and they certainly do help but having a car is so handy hence the toad.

We did look at selling the Motorhome and buying a Caravan and bigger car but the loss in the change was quiet significant.

Hope that helps explain somewhat.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
there is one huge difference in the UK, whilst you can wildcamp with a motorhome a caravan is not so easy. Caravans tend to be more flimsy, not so well insulated. no contest for me. I don't tow a car but have no objection to doing so. I have done and found it easy.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Prefer my RV and all it offers in space and comfort and toad :thumb::thumb: to tugging any caravan :Eeek::Eeek:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Nah. This is what you need.

Link Removed

Bit draughty last winter though and Italian cities are not for the faint hearted.

Parked at the start of all good adventures. Can you guess where?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you get the right set up you can cary bikes in the back. 5ers are the way forward . specialy as people get older licencing laws make having the correct 5er set up much easier to keep as no medical would be neccasery. you can pull an enormous amount on b+e much more than ci+e. think about what i say .and you have the vehicle to run around.
at the moment most rv,s or 5ers dont build the right layouts for me so thats why i built mine on the trailer i have.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Can I please ask for enlightenment. I cannot understand why MH'ers tow a small car behind them. .

If it makes you feel any better I dont understand either.
I'm with Barryd on this one, we have a scooter in the garage much less hassle than a car..........if you like scooters that is ::bigsmile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
If it makes you feel any better I dont understand either.
I'm with Barryd on this one, we have a scooter in the garage much less hassle than a car..........if you like scooters that is ::bigsmile:

Yep you have to love bikes a bit I think. Very good at getting to little out of the way places though. I would like to see you chase Marmots at 6000ft up the Pyrenees on a 3ft wide track or park your toad outside Le Mont St Michel without paying! If you dont know what a Marmot is they live high up in the mountains and are a bit like a cross between a Beaver and a fat shaggy Squirrel.

They were everywhere up in the mountains and I snapped these two near Gavarnie whilst out on the bike

Link Removed
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a 5er can usually get where an rv cant due to a 5er bending in the middle. think the euro /yank pick ups not quite so useful as truck version for this. i have bikes and car all the time.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have had our van for 4 years now, and have just got a Smart car and AFrame!!! The reason for this is, last year we went to France for a week and found it inconvenient to go everywhere in the van. French villages in the main ,have narrow streets and in some cases tight turns. The Smart will enable us to go where we want, when we want and give me a car to run around in when not using the van. The MPG difference is almost double between the van and Smart. I will report on out trip with the Smart when we get back but, I am sure things will be a lot easier with the Smart than without.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
They were everywhere up in the mountains and I snapped these two near Gavarnie whilst out on the bike

There orrible little beggars arent they. :ROFLMAO:

BARRY9WRENBURY

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Funster No
Sorry I a fairly new member to this site and have not quite got up to speed on some of the terminology that is used by other members in their responses to certain subjects, and this subject is a classic example. What on earth is 5ers, toad, b+e, and ci+e all about?? Any chance of some enlightenment

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi and welcome .
a 5er is a fifth wheel caravan could be like my avatar.
a toad is a car with an aframe(towing decvice)fitted on the front allowing it to be towed (toad).
b+e orC1+e relate to your driving licence . usually you dont have c1+e if you didnt pass your test before 1997. c1+e allows upto 7,500 kg +atrailer upto 8,250kg combied weight.
b+e again not if you passed after 97. allows 3,500kg vehicle to pull any weight trailer as long as it does not exceed the trainweight (combined towing wt,) of the vehicles allowed wt.
hope you understand that. feel free to ask further questions .better to ask .we do understand we all had to start somewhere. its not silly to ask its silly not to and get caught. cheers alan.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
5er = Fifth wheel caravan, just a big caravan that is towed by a pick up on a similar hitch to a artic and trailer

Toad= car towed (hence toad!!) behind a motorhome on an A frame system

C+E etc are all driving license catagories that loow you to drive certain types of vehicles and weights

:thumb:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
towing

hi
i'm with andy on this one if i wanted to tow i'd buy a caravan and car.
tow cars now are very economical (ford mondeo up to 60 mpg) and of course a lot more comfortable than a small toad.

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
You can also get a 5ver with a garage and stick 2 quads in it like we have:thumb:

Attachments

• quad1.jpg
    quad1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 12

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
suppose you had marmot on toast every morning.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
also make good david crockit hats.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
suppose you had marmot on toast every morning.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
also make good david crockit hats.

Ooooh Alan very clever!!!! You either love em or hate em!

Nah we just hung a few deaduns off the bike rack of the French van a bit further up the mountain to keep the bears away from ours.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have to change your id to grizzly barry now.
hope you didnt do excercises it may have been yoga bear.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

1. Because we want to - it happens to suit us better and the motorhome is sooooo much nicer than a caravan.
2. I don't have a problem owing several vehicles or making the relevant payments for them.
3. I detest caravans (currently living in Norfolk so you can understand why!!! The road rage of the invading caravanners has been horrific over the time I've been here, but MH ers have not been the same problem).
4. Vive le difference!!! I cannot understand why anyone would want to tug an ugly non-aerodynamic flimsy box behind their car but its their right to do so, just as its mine to take a little car on holiday while the MH stays on the pitch......:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back