Porthcawl / Bridgend (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Anyone been to Porthcawl,Bridgend. Is there any Motorhome parking close to the beach. Thinking of a few days at The Rest Hotel CL,anyone ben here or can suggest a quite site in the area.

Andy

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi.
We have been to the rest a few times this year ,overlooking the sea, but we always park away from the fence { golf} you will see what I meen ,there are a few campsites around Porthcawl I would not bother with Bridgend.:thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Live just outside Bridgend. There are various bays/beaches around Porthcawl but parking doesn't tend to be a problem for the surfers' vans, so you should be OK.

If you want to go into the town, assuming the following link works <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...51.47734,-3.704184&spn=0.006087,0.013636&z=17>:

1) The Eastern Promenade next to the fairground is where all the MHs congregate. Free parking. Overnighting is not allowed, but don't tell me the dozen or so vans I regularly see at 9/10am have only just turned up :winky:.
2) Failing that, the pay & display car park next to The Portway usually has plenty of space and no barriers.
3) There are free parking spaces all along the road from Eastern Promenade all the way to Mallard Way, if you don't mind the walk, but the traffic can be busy and the width of the road means it's more for cars than MHs.

I'm embarrased to admit that I cannot recall whether there's a time limit on the free parking, or whether the car park has a motorhome restriction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I thought they had banned the parking of motorhomes by the roadway beside the fairground as there was a lot of vans taking advantage and having large gas bottles and the like outside on the pavement so obviously living in them on the roadside and that the council had stopped all that? I agree with the comments that bridgend has gone downhill I lived there about 15 years ago and it was very different then , the mcarthur glen designer outlet at the outskirts and the nearby retail park had a lot to do with it, I lived there before all that was built and it was a nice little town, went back to visit last year and was shocked how downhill it had gone, ok they have a new bus station but the rest I say leave well alone but I have seen vans stopping at the rest bay CL never stayed myself I didnt have a MH then but it has got lovely views and a short walk to the beach where they do a lot of surfing and they have a big boot sale every sunday, dontr know how that works with the CL as the car park seems to be the CL with that being the main car park for the booters

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
We have stayed at the Rest many times, nice walks and beaches, can get busy on nice days
There is another little site we use just outside Newton Bay
Link Removed , it is set a little out in the country but an easy walk to the beaches and has always been a nice peaceful spot:thumb:
Worth a try
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

boybris3

Free Member
May 28, 2010
Hengoed
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
14 months
Porthcawl is a town in need of a face lift.:Sad:
You,d be better off travelling an extra half hour
or so to swansea and the gower,recommend port eynon.:thumb:

Sean

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi
We have stayed at the Rest many times, nice walks and beaches, can get busy on nice days
There is another little site we use just outside Newton Bay
Link Removed , it is set a little out in the country but an easy walk to the beaches and has always been a nice peaceful spot:thumb:
Worth a try
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Chris your link doesn't work - try this: http://www.whitewheat.co.uk/
You been drinking too much red wine? :roflmto:
Phil

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi Phil
I am suprised anything is working following all that Bardolino !:ROFLMAO:
Hope to see you at Malvern ?
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I lived there about 15 years ago and it was very different then

I think you're being very generous, or maybe living nearby on-and-off for most of my life has left me jaded ::bigsmile:

Porthcawl is a town in need of a face lift.

Having spent a couple of days camped near Weston-super-Mare recently, I couldn't help but think of Porthcawl as a mini-Weston, and not in a good way. Both became hugely popular at the same time and for the same reason. The only difference is that I might actually want to visit Porthcawl in the near future...even if it is to do my recycling hardhat

andyjane59

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
Exp
Since July 09.
Try Barry.

Lovely spot at the Knap close to Barry Island. Free parking and overnight accepted. Lots of fishermen and surfers.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Since the weather was so nice yesterday....and there was time before the footy started....I popped down to Porthcawl to check my facts.

Bearing in mind it was about 10:15am when I took these by the Eastern Promenade:

Link Removed

Link Removed

and the signs on all the lamp posts prohibit caravans and motorhomes between 11pm - 7am, then clearly this lot all turned up in the previous few hours.....and some of them set up levelling blocks....hmmm :winky:

But the good news is that you can park during the day - there are markings on the road that presumably you're meant to stay within width-wise, but they're not very generous and hopefully not enforced. For example, further round the lighthouse towards Rest Bay:

Link Removed

As you can see, I can fit the Doblo, but there was a T4 panel conversion further round that was overhanging. I would be concerned about losing wing mirrors or worse.

If all else fails, there's the ever-busy car park:

Link Removed

:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back