Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
After reading about johnsandywhites robbery it has made me think that we should get some security measures put in place.

What recommendations can anyone give for the best alarm to have fitted, door locks, window locks.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have the Strikeback Alarm, fitted by Vanbitz, the best alarm we have had, never goes off when its not meant to, we always set it a night and we have 3 sirens...........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Link Removed

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We have the Strikeback as well, fitted by EddieVanBitz in Taunton. Well worth the trip.
Violet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi try getting a quote or 2 from your local car alarm fitters - They will recommend a alarm - a cat one will be best and he/she will give you a cert to say it has been fitted correctly.:thumb:It will/ should cover all doors :thumb: but probably not your windows these may be done via movement sensors that can be turned on and off
terry

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Baseball bat ..........

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
King Cobra wrapped around the steering wheel and a canary in case of gassing:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I fitted a door alarm from Maplins , only a few quid , very easy to fit and of course no wiring needed.. It makes a hell of a racket .. Simple but very effective :thumb:

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi

We have a Strikeback from Eddie in Taunton and cant fault it.

I also recommendLink Removed

They both give peace of mind if used properly.

Kevin and Tricia

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have had 4 Van Bitz Strikeback alarms over 16 years and have been totally satisfied with them all.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi

Look at our avatar does anyone want to argue with 35Kg of Lily Potter.

She may not bite a burglar but we will certainly try to when she wakes us up

cheers alan and lynda

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Terry, I'm pretty sure you can't get Thatcham Cat 1 retro-fitted - it's only for new vehicles. You can get a category 2.1, which gives the same level of security, and that is what most MH manufacturers fit.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, I'm pretty sure you can't get Thatcham Cat 1 retro-fitted - it's only for new vehicles. You can get a category 2.1, which gives the same level of security, and that is what most MH manufacturers fit.

I stand corrected (only numbers - same job ) cannot remember name of alam / mob on van but got a viper on warrior L200 and the fitter told me they don't come much better than them :thumb:
terry
besides a 400 mile plus round trip to eddyvan bitz is just a tad too far :ROFLMAO:

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Really depends on the value of the van and contents. If it was a £100k+ van then a Strikeback, perimeter alarm, steel shutters on the windows etc may be justified, but on a £10K van - debatable. A decent immobiliser, door alarms ( as Jim said ) and most importantly a large dose of commonsense may be sufficient for your needs.
Don't leave wallets,phones,cameras, watches etc etc on display or on the table at night, fit a small safe for passports,documents, laptops and so on, and make sure you use it.
If you leave the van unoccupied for a short period, how about a blow up doll ( I'm sure someone has a spare:roflmto:) covered up with a blanket to give the impression someone is in the van asleep.
You cannot turn a plastic windowed flimsy box into Fort Knox:Smile:. VMax

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I stand corrected (only numbers - same job ) cannot remember name of alam / mob on van but got a viper on warrior L200 and the fitter told me they don't come much better than them :thumb:
terry
besides a 400 mile plus round trip to eddyvan bitz is just a tad too far :ROFLMAO:

My mh is not new and I had a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser fitted.

Jim
:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My mh is not new and I had a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser fitted.

Jim
:Smile:
Hi Jim, Imprint may well be correct, as said in other post probably just numbers :ROFLMAO: but they are cat 1 just cat 2 -1 the 2 poss designates after market fit
terry

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We had a Strikeback fitted, and until we settled in France went back to Van Bitz at Taunton for an annual check - we decided it was worthwhile as we are full-timing. The system continues to work well seven years after its installation, so we are very content with it.

Bob

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
Hi

Look at our avatar does anyone want to argue with 35Kg of Lily Potter.

She may not bite a burglar but we will certainly try to when she wakes us up

cheers alan and lynda

Totally agree Alan, dog is the best alarm. My dog has much better hearing than me, she lets me know if anybody comes near the bus and it would be a very brave thief to mess with her, she's very defensive of the bus, seeing as it's our home. :Smile:

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Security

roxy my rotty does a good job for me !

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Dogs are great for security but their no good when their on the end of a lead when your out and about moochin

Jim
:winky:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have a Cat 1 fitted to our van and turn the internal sensors off at night while leaving the doors alarmed. Works for us!!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have a Cat 1 fitted to our van and turn the internal sensors off at night while leaving the doors alarmed. Works for us!!

I didnt know that you could do that, I have a Sigma, I must read the instruction manual.

Jim
:RollEyes:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I didnt know that you could do that, I have a Sigma, I must read the instruction manual.

Jim
:RollEyes:
Our is a Meta, you press the second button as soon as you arm the alarm. You then get 4 beeps to let you know it's set!. Resets the system when you disarm the alarm :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Dont know what make it is but we have an alarm fitted in the habitaion area was fitted to van when we bought it at 1 year old and it does seem to work as i have set it then forgot and set it off.

But a cheap way which we also use is the small personnal attack alarms you get well we have 1 each on our cab doors down at the foot well so no robber can see them just clip the small rope on to the screw when going to bed if they open doors it pulls out really loud scream and flashing light we also have one we can hook on to hab door the noise they make would wake you up even if youv'e been gassed:ROFLMAO: so for about £10 try these if its security while your sleeping your after we leave the cab ones on if going out for the day.

Gerry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

agreed.....
exactly the same thing.

cat 2 is an immobiliser
cat 1 is a full alarm system

cat 2.1 is a cat 2 immobiliser upgraded to a cat 1 full alarm as an after market option.

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
We have a Cobra 2.1 that could wake the dead up, which imobilises the RV at the ignition and starter motor, it also tells us if the van has been interfered with, and where access was attempted. It has two panic alarms and two visible LED's.

Last year i forgot I had set it, and got up early one morning and opened the side door that set off the alarm:Blush: which was made worse because I could not find the fob to turn it off:Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush: that resulted in a lot of unhappy campers:Blush::Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back