May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
Hi all,
has anyone ever travelled from Interlaken to Lake Como? We are going in September and wondered what crossing one of the high passes will be like then. Only in a small van so height, weight, length is no problem.

thanks in advance

Dave

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi all,
has anyone ever travelled from Interlaken to Lake Como? We are going in September and wondered what crossing one of the high passes will be like then. Only in a small van so height, weight, length is no problem.

thanks in advance

Dave

Hi Dave, You Would have NO problems at this time of the year. :thumb:

MickL

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
Hi Dave, You Would have NO problems at this time of the year. :thumb:

HI,
Been 3 years on the trot. Twice on motorcycle, last year camper towing motorcycle, with our Bessacar E425.

Interlaken. OK but not our cup of tea. Campsites were a touch pricey.
Then on up and over the Grimsel Pass to Gletch. Stop at the Gletch Hotel for great food, even tho last year it was very pricey.
Think then you will go over the Furka Pass to Andermatt. This is the best, take all day it's truly spectacular, even going again this year. Andermatt is great, stop and walk thru the small town.

From there you can either turn around and go over the pass to Italy or go under the 14ml tunnel (I think). Presuming you will be going to Lugano (Big Town) then onto Lake Como. We stopped at a small campsite 3mls before Mennagio (be aware from Lugano to there is very narrow with tunnels).

Don't forget the unexpected Swiss Road Tax, they will stop you just before entering. Last year they charged us for Camper and the trailer, Even wanted to charge for the bike on the trailer, but I said we were on our way to Italy and was not stopping in Switzerland. (Rip off).

Contact me if you need more info please to help. It will take your breath away, have a great time..Mick.

Lake Como is just superb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MickL

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
IMG_0397.jpg

Daughter and myself last year.

MickL

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
IMG_0071.jpg

If you look carefully you just might see our camper in this vast beautiful country. This is at Sedrum, costs about 7francs pr person, no thrills but don,t think you need them..

MickL

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
On top of the world, Furka Pass, camped over night, think there was 7 other campers, what more can I say...
IMG_0061.jpg

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Passes

We've just returned from Italy and went via the St. Gotthard Tunnel, which is free if you have the Swiss vignette. On the return journey we decided to go over the St. Gotthard Pass just for the fun of it. However, other passes that I fancied such as the Grimsel were not open until late June.

Some of the higher passes have a very narrow window, often only from late June until early October.

The Caravan Club Europe guides are a wealth of information and both of them, Europe 1 and 2, list all the passes and their opening times and suitability for various outfit types. Some are definitely not recommended for towed caravans.

Finally, a word of praise for the Swiss and their vignette system. As I said earlier, the vignette allowed free travel on all motorways and through all the tunnels that we used. Some of the tunnels would command large fees in France or Italy. We met one chap who'd tried to be clever and avoid Switzerland and paid about fifty Euro to go through the Mont Blanc Tunnel! For just under thirty Euro the vignette can often be very good value indeed when compared with the tolls and Tunnel fees that we've incurred in France.

Edited to say: Interlaken camp sites are not expensive off-season if you have an ACSI card. We'd a superb site just outside town for 17 Euro, which included the two-Euro tourist tax. However, having paid this tax you then get free travel on local buses and reductions on other buses, cable cars and trains. Brilliant value!

OP
OP
D

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
We've just returned from Italy and went via the St. Gotthard Tunnel, which is free if you have the Swiss vignette. On the return journey we decided to go over the St. Gotthard Pass just for the fun of it. However, other passes that I fancied such as the Grimsel were not open until late June.

Some of the higher passes have a very narrow window, often only from late June until early October.

The Caravan Club Europe guides are a wealth of information and both of them, Europe 1 and 2, list all the passes and their opening times and suitability for various outfit types. Some are definitely not recommended for towed caravans.

Finally, a word of praise for the Swiss and their vignette system. As I said earlier, the vignette allowed free travel on all motorways and through all the tunnels that we used. Some of the tunnels would command large fees in France or Italy. We met one chap who'd tried to be clever and avoid Switzerland and paid about fifty Euro to go through the Mont Blanc Tunnel! For just under thirty Euro the vignette can often be very good value indeed when compared with the tolls and Tunnel fees that we've incurred in France.

Edited to say: Interlaken camp sites are not expensive off-season if you have an ACSI card. We'd a superb site just outside town for 17 Euro, which included the two-Euro tourist tax. However, having paid this tax you then get free travel on local buses and reductions on other buses, cable cars and trains. Brilliant value!

Hi TT,
which campsite did you use in Interlaken, we have been looking at Manor Farm. Haven't been to Switzerland for quite a few years and so we are really looking forward to our trip.::bigsmile:

Found this new addition at Grindlewald and can't wait to give it a go!:Eeek:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpdA3glmuk[/ame]

regards

Dave

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Hi TT,
which campsite did you use in Interlaken, we have been looking at Manor Farm. Haven't been to Switzerland for quite a few years and so we are really looking forward to our trip.::bigsmile:

Found this new addition at Grindlewald and can't wait to give it a go!:Eeek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpdA3glmuk

regards

Dave

It's in the ACSI book under Unterseen/Interlaken and is called Alpenblick. Very well-run small site with excellent sanitary facilities and a small shop. The bus for Interlaken stops right outside (and it's free) and the lake pleasure boats dock at the rear of the hotel which is just across the road. I don't know the high-season costs but it's a 15 Euro ACSI site until late June and from September 1st. There's a two-Euro tourist tax but this gets you a free travel card for local buses etc.

danielhenry

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Funster No
Wow what a beautiful lake. This is best place i ever seen in my life. Its so natural and very beautiful. I have seen the pictures and i am eager to visit this place soon as possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back