Camping & Caravan Club & Caravan Club (1 Viewer)

lynne7

Free Member
Jun 3, 2010
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
7 years
Do other members find these two clubs expensive or is it just me? I am thinking of not renewing membership next year as I don't use them much at all. We hardly tour over here because of the campsite prices. Not only that they are usually in a field in the middle of nowhere, so unless you're towing a car or can ride a bike (afraid I can't) your stuck if there's no public transport. We both prefer touring France for a few weeks, using the Aires because they are usually in the villages and towns or just outside.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I have just returned home from a CCC Rally at Bradford on Avon, £6 a night, bus stop outside the gate to Bath or the other way to Chippenham and Devises, site a short walk to the canal tow path, Sainsburys bus stopped outside the gate also, Bradford on Avon is a super town. Just starting is a CCC rally at Wareham, again the bus stop is nearby to Poole or Swanage, and just up the road is the Steam Railway to Corfe Castle and Swanage, fantastic value these Rallies I think.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

pieterv

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
I also find the CC (don't know about CC&C) sites quite expensive. They are always good quality in nice locations, but prices are similar to commercial sites.

Why can't a club, that is not out for a profit, beat the prices of a commercial site?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well if they don't make a bit, how do they a) purchase and develop new locations and b) pay for repairs to the existing network?

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

horses for courses I think. I agree, that in your position being on a cl site miles from anywhere with no additional transport can be frustating and therefore membership doesn't give any benefits. However, having a toad we like the cl site system, it is cheap, quiet and generally in the countryside where we like to be. For us it represents extremely good value for money and we more than save the membership cost. French Aires are ideal and if this is your preferred and most commonly used then membership would be expensive. Depends if you use the clubs' other facilities like ferry booking, insurance etc.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Well if they don't make a bit, how do they a) purchase and develop new locations and b) pay for repairs to the existing network?

My thoughts exactly...surely the club is in it to make a profit?

Being a newbie, I don't have much to compare the prices to, but on the whole I don't find them too bad...some C&CC sites seem to feel that they are more worthy and charge more, which at peak time puts them out of my range. I do make use of their showers, etc. since my on-board resources are limited.

I can appreciate that somebody who doesn't need these or EHU might feel things are steep. We'd all like to pay as little as possible....for example, why am I paying the same as 2 people who arrive in a much bigger MH? Ooops...I'm back on the "let's put a meter for everything" rant again :Smile:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
just canceled my caravan club membership but have continued the C&CC membership as find it quite handy - especially as hubby gets concession rates now!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Neil you sound like me! Some of the rallies are brilliant value for money ... especially if you divide it by two .... A week for twenty five pounds each. But for us solo travellers it is a week for fifty pounds and I don't use as much water or toilet facilities etc... but I can't see a reduction ever. Hotels even charge us extra.

I have renewed my CCC membership but not the CC. Does anyone know where we stand with our van insurance and Green Flag cover if it is through the CC if we are no longer with them, when it is already mid year.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
We are members of the Caravan Club and have just renewed our membership. Because we are away with Emily most weekends at Sailing events we like to know that the site we are on have lovely shower facilities and a launderette as sailing gear is smelly if left and we need to wash and it dry for the next day. Do we find it expensive? No, because we compare it to what we used to spend on hotels so we find it cheap. We could wild camp but sometimes it's good for Emily to have a play area to chill out in after a hard days sailing, saying that after last weekend WAVEBOARDS are banned because she fell off it and fractured her elbow, so this weekend in Lymington was cancelled :cry:

Dale

Last edited:
May 22, 2008
Funster No
I don't think CCC club sites are too expensive to stay on ,especially if like us you can claim age concession on charges, the sites are very well run, have rules to be kept so everyone is happy, IE quiet after 11pm pick up your dog pooh 5mph on site. dogs on leads etc. unlike some Commercial sites we have stayed on where drunks scream half the night and run amok. the facilities on club sites are second to none . It amazes me that people pay thousands of pounds for Motorhomes and then expect to pay peanuts to use them. I love to wildcamp where I can and have just spent 110 nights in Spain France and Portugal doing just that ,we didn't use any sites at all, but I also like to use sites as and when it suits me and am prepared to pay the fees charged, you have to pay for quality and that's what you get on CCC sites, I dropped my membership of the CC as I was not using it, but I like to spend time in London and when I do we use Abbey Wood CC site and I usually rejoin the club there as it is cheaper as a member and a two week stay there pays for my membership.:thumb::thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Before cancelling the CC&C its worth checking the offers they have on things like insurance, I never thought they would be able to beat the Internet but for us there 180 days away from home house insurance, was the best we could find, no conditions regarding getting people to check, just 180 days away at anytime and the price difference between a similar product that had conditions was at least more than the membership cost, so covered the cost on one purchase

hope that makes sense.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well I know commercial sites are there to make money, no-one has a problem with that. However a lot of em want their staff at the lowest ever possible rates for the largest number of hours and that sort of engenders Jobsworths, doesn't it? :Angry:

But do commercial sites look for more land to build another site all the while, or do they just use the 'sheer' profit for their directors/shareholders to eg go to the Caribbean for their holidays? :ROFLMAO:

I spose the daft thing here is we use mainly CL's and of course other than inspections I don't suppose they cost the Club a penny piece really, but I have to pay the club in order to have access to the CL's. :Doh: So I'm paying so that everyone else - including of course the non-members who use Club sites - can have fun in the bar/restaurant/pool at Seacroft !!

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998

Not for profit means that all monies obtained is put back into the business in wages, maitainence new buildings etc; :Eeek:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Yes but No but - what I am saying is they need to make more on top of the costs of their existing facilties because they are always expanding - for their members benefit!

Costly getting planning permission in Green Belt.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
My problem with the CC is their use of overflow pitches. Quite often, having booked months in advance, we turn up to find that there are only two or three runty little pitches left and while everyone else enjoys vistas that would rival the hanging gardens of babylon with large flat hardstandings - we are trying to park precariously on a slope from hell in the back of beyond wedged in behind the bins :Sad: No problem with that really except of course we're all paying the same price.... and we didn't book an economy pitch. On one occasion, having driven a hundred miles to get there, we were so p1ss*d off we drove all the way back again...

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
... but I can't see a reduction ever. Hotels even charge us extra.

Grrrrr.....single supplements :Mad: !!! How about building some single rooms, please?

Tell you what....why don't we sit in a corner counting our pennies and grumbling about the price of diesel and bread nowadays :roflmto:

--
Neil McScrooge

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes but No but - what I am saying is they need to make more on top of the costs of their existing facilties because they are always expanding - for their members benefit!

Costly getting planning permission in Green Belt.

Intresting,:Smile:

Both clubs publish their accounts in there respective mags, and they make very interesting reading. Yes, they are always expanding and developing, and trying to out do the other, but, just look at the amount each club has in reserves, its an awful lot for a couple of "not for profit" companies.:whatthe:

One of the clubs, not sure which one, made a "loss" on its sites department in the last accounts, but the bottom line, for the club, still indicated a "surplus of income over expenditure":Cool:

Thats my rant over:thumb:

Nomadic

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
C&cc

we're on a c&cc club temporary holiday site in Burton Bradstock £6.30 a night i think,and its in a terrific location, 5 mins walk from village with 2 pubs .good value.
We were on a site last week in Wareham and that was 10 mins walk from town and that was only £5.50 a night. there are some good value holiday sites but you have to get away from their main sites and have facilities to live without hookups
Alan

T

TomTee

Deleted User
Caravan Club and Profits

I find it a bit staggering that some people think that the Caravan Club shouldn't make a profit! If it didn't make a profit it would still have its one original site. Where do these guys think the money has come from to fund this superb network of sites? Where do they think the money comes from to set up all these low-price CLs and publish their brilliant Europe books, which even people who dislike the CC, always seem to have with them when on holiday?

The difference between the CC and a private organisation (PO) is that profits made in a PO are distributed to the shareholders. The CC is a true co-operative and all profits are ploughed back into the business and some of course are held in reserve as a hedge against bad times and for when other opportunities, such as new site locations, present themselves.

But for me, the best thing about the CC is that it is run by caravanners and motorhomers, so its sites are designed by the people who actually use them. I've just had four weeks in Italy and not one shower had a dividing section to stop your clothes getting sprayed whilst you shower. One site had hooks outside the door so you had to expose yourself to other people before closing the door!

This is because many commercial sites are set up by people who've never caravanned in their life and give no serious thought to our needs and concentrate on building the most economical facilities, with little thought to their usefulness.

It should be law that every site owner has to use his own facilities for three days! They'd soon realise their limitations!

The CC may not always be perfect but there's no doubt in my mind that it's the perfect model - a company that is owned by its members, that ploughs back every penny into the business and where all major policy decisions are taken by committees of caravanners and motorhomers and not by a businessman who has never previously used a camp site in his life!

pieterv

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
I suppose a lot depends on how you define profit.

Yes, of course the clubs need to make enough to be able to do maintenance and develop new sites.

But commercial organisations do the same thing. That then still leaves me to wonder why a club cannot do it cheaper than a commercial site.

Arguments about CLs don't make sense to me. I thought they are developed by their owners, not financed by the clubs.

I do agree that CC sites are always good quality, clean, and generally in nice locations. I just feel there is too much overhead with the clubs that eats up money, a bit like the large management structures in the NHS.

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I suppose a lot depends on how you define profit.

Yes, of course the clubs need to make enough to be able to do maintenance and develop new sites.

But commercial organisations do the same thing. That then still leaves me to wonder why a club cannot do it cheaper than a commercial site.

Arguments about CLs don't make sense to me. I thought they are developed by their owners, not financed by the clubs.

I do agree that CC sites are always good quality, clean, and generally in nice locations. I just feel there is too much overhead with the clubs that eats up money, a bit like the large management structures in the NHS.

First you really ought to go online and see what many commercial sites charge. You may get a shock! For the standards of its sites, the CC is actually not over-expensive. As for commercial sites doing the same thing as the CC, it's simply not the case. Most of them take the profit and distribute it to the shareholders. There are very few camp sites (if any) that have expanded by retaining every penny of profit and ploughing it back for decade after decade!

Secondly, of course the CC develops CLs. They have to check them, advise the new franchisees and employ several people to oversee the operation. They don't just appear! Then there is the cost of collating all the CLs' information and putting into the members' handbook, which will need regular updating.

As for staffing levels, what evidence do you have that the CC's management structure is more top-heavy than a commercial organisation? It's actually the opposite! Many functions of running the CC are done by committees of members, who are unpaid.

The club simply cannot win with some people. If it lost money the management would be criticised. It would appear that they should also be criticised for being successful!

pieterv

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
First you really ought to go online and see what many commercial sites charge. You may get a shock! For the standards of its sites, the CC is actually not over-expensive. As for commercial sites doing the same thing as the CC, it's simply not the case. Most of them take the profit and distribute it to the shareholders. There are very few camp sites (if any) that have expanded by retaining every penny of profit and ploughing it back for decade after decade!

Secondly, of course the CC develops CLs. They have to check them, advise the new franchisees and employ several people to oversee the operation. They don't just appear! Then there is the cost of collating all the CLs' information and putting into the members' handbook, which will need regular updating.

As for staffing levels, what evidence do you have that the CC's management structure is more top-heavy than a commercial organisation? It's actually the opposite! Many functions of running the CC are done by committees of members, who are unpaid.

The club simply cannot win with some people. If it lost money the management would be criticised. It would appear that they should also be criticised for being successful!

Of course commercial sites pay out profits, not sure many have shareholders, but otherwise to owners. I never said they don't, what I meant by doing the same is they have a need to do maintenance, and develop new sites if they want to expand, just like the CC does. Sorry if that wasn't clear. So saying the CC needs to make a profit to cover maintenance is missing the point.

Profit is what is left after expenses have been covered! Like I said earlier, you need to look at what you mean by profit.

BTW I see no need for your aggresive tone.

OP
OP
L

lynne7

Free Member
Jun 3, 2010
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
7 years
I want to thank you all for your comments, it has made very interesting reading. I was suprised mostly by the comments regarding the sites for holidays - have I got it right then, that they are usually near to public transport or near to villages/towns? If that is the case, then it might be the answer for us. Having looked at the "Out & About section many times, there was nothing to suggest they weren't like the CCC sites - in the middle of nowhere???

john harrington

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Funster No
I am a member of the CC but every year I wonder why (the answer is usually that there are some good value CLs among the otherwise expensive list). I would like to make the following points:
1. I too cannot understand why CC sites are always more expensive than nearby commercial ones (they too have to maintain their sites and make a living out of it!).
2. A site close to us used to be privately-owned and offered good rates; the CC took it over, knocked down a perfectly good shower block and built a new one which looks more or less the same and now charges between two and three times the old rate. There is no justification for this in a so-called non-profit making club (private chains have to build up reserves to build new sites too).
3. I used to make savings on ferry bookings through the club but now you can make the same savings by going direct to the ferry websites (the one I have just booked was actually cheaper through the ferry website!).
4. I do not consider that paying £6 or more for a space in a field without hook-up is a good bargain - my motorhome, in common with most others, can be self-sufficient for around three days so I usually need only a parking space unless the site can provide something extra like electric hook-up. Consequently I, again in common with many others, choose to wildcamp rather than part with money for what I consider to be nothing - either that or go to France with its wonderful (and mostly free) Aires.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Do other members find these two clubs expensive or is it just me? I am thinking of not renewing membership next year as I don't use them much at all. We hardly tour over here because of the campsite prices. Not only that they are usually in a field in the middle of nowhere, so unless you're towing a car or can ride a bike (afraid I can't) your stuck if there's no public transport. We both prefer touring France for a few weeks, using the Aires because they are usually in the villages and towns or just outside.

In your Site book at the top of each page it gives you the distance of the site from the nearest town. Where there is no distance then it is in or very close to the town. We have just come back from Tredegar Country Park (Newport, Wales), beautiful site, good clean facilities and large pitches. The site is in the Tredegar Country Estate and a 10 minute stroll takes you to the bus stop (No 36 bus) which takes you straight in to the town centre (10 minutes) or within cycling distance. The site is also a 15 minute stroll from a large ASDA superstore which has a fuel station which can accommodate Motorhomes (even larger ones). Moreton-in-Marsh in the Cotswolds is a 10 min stroll to the town. Caravan Club site in Edinburgh with bust stop outside gate, Southport site at end of promenade, Site in park at Ayr etc. etc. etc.

Our M'Home is too large to take in to towns so like you we have to rely on 'foot power', 'cycle power' or local transport, never had a problem yet in either UK or Europe.

I agree that both clubs are not cheap, but they do generally compare with same standard Commercial Sites and I like the good standard of facilities which is something that, in my personal opinion, you cannot guarantee on a lot of Commercial sites. That said, if and when I am lucky enough to be able to retireand do some longer term touring e.g. 4-5 months at a time, I would probably look at utilisling the CL network to keep costs down. Contrary to popular myth, lots of CL's offer Electric, WC and Showers (All listed in the sites handbook) although these do tend to be in more rural locations.

Andrew and Shirley

Free Member
Nov 1, 2008
Alfaz Del Pi Spain
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Many
I do not agree that all CCC are costly.

A good example is Theobalds Park which is so close to London (J25 M25) and is very cheap compared with anything else around.

The private site we are off to in Bucks in £16 per night with just electic and no other facilities thats too much but we have no choice.

The CCC cannot make a profit and all surplus's are ploughed back. Members at the AGM basically agree the way the club is run.

As for the CC we are no longer members so cannot comment but are sure the same applies.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
well kept

Say what you like, the CC sites are soooo well kept , the one where we store Elvis, in Abbey Wood is like a beautiful Oasis ::bigsmile:

But having said that, they are a bit too strict for us, perhaps in 20yrs, when we want a quiet life and be in bed early :ROFLMAO:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We're still tugging - although we really really want a motorhome - so our needs are different, however, I just wanted to say that we are booked in July on a CC site with full facilities in a lovely part of Cornwall for £14 per night. No bar, no pool, (sounds like that old song) but wonderful clean and up to date facilities. I don't think this is too expensive. BTW if you travel alone on club sites you only get charged for one person - worth knowing.
Most commercial sites charge per pitch and 2 people.
Once again it's horses for courses...

HWO

Free Member
Jan 25, 2010
Funster No
Intresting,:Smile:

Both clubs publish their accounts in there respective mags, and they make very interesting reading. Yes, they are always expanding and developing, and trying to out do the other, but, just look at the amount each club has in reserves, its an awful lot for a couple of "not for profit" companies.:whatthe:

One of the clubs, not sure which one, made a "loss" on its sites department in the last accounts, but the bottom line, for the club, still indicated a "surplus of income over expenditure":Cool:

Nomadic
It certainly an't the Caravan Club that makes a loss
As I remember the " sites investment reserve fund" stands at £70to 80 million on the last balance sheet.
Them chaps in grey suits must love sitting in their ivory tower at East Grinstead looking at the bank books
HWO

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back