Generator running out of fuel (1 Viewer)

NIC S

Free Member
Mar 19, 2009
WESTON SUPER MARE
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Discovered something on my second trip that the generator fuel pick up is quite high in the tank ie at quater full the generator stopped.I understand the reason to prevent you running dry but a little frustrating when you have just set up camp to find the genny only runs for 15 mins.Still it's all a learning curve but posting this might help any other newbies.Nic

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Yes it can be a pain. I never stop for the night without knowing that I have enough petrol in the tank to run the genny. It happened to me once but never again.

The irony is that I never run the genny anyway. :winky:

Jim
::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Discovered something on my second trip that the generator fuel pick up is quite high in the tank ie at quater full the generator stopped.I understand the reason to prevent you running dry but a little frustrating when you have just set up camp to find the genny only runs for 15 mins.Still it's all a learning curve but posting this might help any other newbies.Nic

How does that work then if it stopped because it ran out of fuel:Doh: at a quarter full then how does that prevent it running dry?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
How does that work then if it stopped because it ran out of fuel:Doh: at a quarter full then how does that prevent it running dry?:Eeek:

Its just a plain and simple fact of life mate, some genny's will not start unless the tank is at least a quarter full.

Just accept it and stop smacking your head in despair, you will only get a head ache.

Jim

Moosehead

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
6months

The genny runs off the same fuel tank as the van engine (assuming van is petrol). The system is rigged so that the genny will only draw fuel until the tank is quarter full and so leaving enough fuel to enable the van to get to a fuel station. Otherwise the genny could run till tank is dry and so van will not start.........not good. HTH

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
thanks now I get it:thumb:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
My solution to that problem is to never need to run the generator.
In 13 weeks we have been on electrical hookup for 4 nights (only because the Forestry campground had it included in the rate) and used the generator in anger on two occasions.

OP
OP
N

NIC S

Free Member
Mar 19, 2009
WESTON SUPER MARE
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Yes it can be a pain. I never stop for the night without knowing that I have enough petrol in the tank to run the genny. It happened to me once but never again.

The irony is that I never run the genny anyway. :winky:

Jim
Hi do you run off liesure batteries then or mains hook up.I think I might have either one or two of the three liesure batteries with a faulty cell/cells as my batteries only seem to last 2-3 hours using just lights and 12v TV,does that seem a low battery life or is that normal.I seem to have to run genie for 1 hour every morning and the same early evening.If I charge by mains trickle they seem to last longer.I will test batteries but they are a bugger to get at.Nic

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I cant remember the last time I run off the genny, I always use EHU and only use the Genny if I'm stuck and then only to power appliances (like the microwave) that draw a lot of power.

Check your batteries, it may well be that you have a dud somewhere. I only have one 85 AH battery and thats plenty for me.

Jim
:Smile:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
I'm not into generators, but are you seriously saying they don't have their own fuel tank, and rely on the vehicle's?

If so,
a) what if you've a diesel MH and a petrol gennie, or vice versa?
b) how do you get the first lot of fuel from the MH tank - uphill? By sucking?
c) there must be a real fire hazard
d) the gennies must be v. close to the vehicle
e) several others, but go the other way - if the fuel tank is mounted on the gennie, does the pipe fit under the tank, or into it?

The whole thing sounds bonkers to me...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm not into generators, but are you seriously saying they don't have their own fuel tank, and rely on the vehicle's?

If so,
a) what if you've a diesel MH and a petrol gennie, or vice versa?
b) how do you get the first lot of fuel from the MH tank - uphill? By sucking?
c) there must be a real fire hazard
d) the gennies must be v. close to the vehicle
e) several others, but go the other way - if the fuel tank is mounted on the gennie, does the pipe fit under the tank, or into it?

The whole thing sounds bonkers to me...

Hi ,

a) you will have two fuel tanks , but it makes sense to have only one fuel on board. Some RVs have a petrol gennie, a diesel engine and domestic LPG .. so that's three different fuels to find at a forecourt, hard work with a big RV

b) fuel pump
c) no more risk than any other internal combustion engined vehicle
d) mounted in a locker, under the bonnet or under slung off a chassis rail
e) under the tank

In my RV, the gennie was mounted in a locker and ran on gas from the domestic LPG tank, the RV engine was diesel.. but I carried a 2kw Honda petrol gennie as it was quieter and cheaper to run than the stonking great 5kw on board one.

Petrol is also easier than LPG to transport on a bicycle :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back