Free Member
Jun 9, 2010
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile.
Exp
one month
I am a newcomer to motor homing, going in July for 3 weeks. Plan is to head for French Alps, then to the South Coast..Travel along coast into Italy and then inland to Italian Lakes and finish off with Switzerland lakes.. then back home.
Any sound advice of do's and don'ts would be appreciated.
I am pretty well geared up with everything I think.
Thanks

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Do a search online for driving in france / italy etc. you will need spare bulbs, hi vis vests etc, also speed limits will vary depending on vehicle weight etc.
And they drive on the wrong side ::bigsmile:

iluvmyrv

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
7 years
Hi.Have family in Italy so have toured extensively in our RV (had a Hurricane before the Winnebago). It will be very busy at that time of the year and you need to do your homework on campsites that can accomodate RVS. What is your route? Maybe we can recommend campsites for you too use. The Italian Lakes are lovely but very busy at that time of the year.Try some of the smaller lakes they are fabulous. If you want to visit Venice can recommend a great site.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iluvmyrv

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
7 years
OOPS - sorry! Just re-read and got a bit muddled on whose got what motorhome.Can still recommend those sites though!:Doh:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Good itinerary :Smile:
We've done something similar, but if you want to spend time anywhere, you might need more than 3 weeks!

It's a good idea to get the vignette for Swiss Motorways - good value and saves loads of time and fuel.
We tried to get into Switzerland from Italy non-motorway, but they wouldn't let us without one as the border was ON the motorway! :Angry:

ps There's a good site on Lake Lucerne (near the motorway)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am a newcomer to motor homing, going in July for 3 weeks. Plan is to head for French Alps, then to the South Coast..Travel along coast into Italy and then inland to Italian Lakes and finish off with Switzerland lakes.. then back home.
Any sound advice of do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don't do it !

You'll never stop moving. If you want to enjoy it then cut out the French bit. To Lake Garda ( probably the cutest tourist trap lake, just got back ) represents about a week's driving. So the other two weeks gets you say a week on Garda which has so much to see and a few days in a couple of Swiss locations.

Peschiera is a good place to stop on Garda because you can easily do a day trip to Venice and other places by the cheap rail links.

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
Hi.Have family in Italy so have toured extensively in our RV (had a Hurricane before the Winnebago). It will be very busy at that time of the year and you need to do your homework on campsites that can accomodate RVS. What is your route? Maybe we can recommend campsites for you too use. The Italian Lakes are lovely but very busy at that time of the year.Try some of the smaller lakes they are fabulous. If you want to visit Venice can recommend a great site.:thumb:

Hi can you tell me the name of the site for Venice, we're having trying to find one for our trip next spring.::bigsmile:

Thanks

Dave

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
Too much to little

I tend to agree with Hildweller.
Being experienced European drivers, in our sports car i may add, this year will be the first in the Motorhome:thumb:
Three weeks is a push for that journey.
We did 4,500 miles in over 3 weeks last run ended up in Sorento.
This was mostly fast motorway work, ok for a top down car:RollEyes:
I would say to enjoy 3 to 4 hour driving in any day is well enough.
I would enjoy the run through and keep of the auto routes save lots of money in the process:thumb:
Enjoy the run chill out lots to see, every corner a new view::bigsmile:
Terry & Hilary

iluvmyrv

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
7 years
Hi.The campsite near Venice is Camping Fusina - lovely views across the water too Venice and from outside the entrance you can get a water taxi to the centre of Venice. They may have a website - they also have a good restaurant and bar on site! If you are going to the lakes Lake Maggiore is nice and less commercial than the other lakes. Stayed at Isolino Camping Village on the lake edge.If you venture further Slovenia is fantastic.Have a good trip:thumb:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Make sure you drive with your lights on in Italy as there are loads of police traps. They are keen on speeders too.

Apart from that Italy is great. Been here a month or more til August. :thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
3 weeks ? I reckon I could do normandy and brittany in that

if you want to do that sort of distance , stay in the uk , view is the same [cars/trucks etc ] and it will be a lot cheaper

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Hi can you tell me the name of the site for Venice, we're having trying to find one for our trip next spring.::bigsmile:

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave
We stayed at Campeggio Miramare at Punta Sabbioni on the Venice lagoon.
Link Removed
It was very handy for the boat into Venice (next to San Marco) - just a short walk away. The boats run throughout the nght if you want an evening visit without all the tourists. :Smile:
We found it really quiet, with good facilities, plus there's a pizza place next to it and a beach just across the road.

The only problem is that you have to drive to the very tip of that spit of land which sticks out below the city, but it's well worth it!
Hope that helps.
We loved Venice :roflmto:

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
Sorry to hijack your thread but I can not resist ::bigsmile:
it is very interesting to note the tittle of this thread :" Beginner in Europe", it seemed to me, until today, that the United Kingdom was in Europe, but obviously no ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it is very interesting to note the tittle of this thread :" Beginner in Europe", it seemed to me, until today, that the United Kingdom was in Europe, but obviously no !

You may joke but you have hit the nail on the head. Because of the channel I don't think we will ever feel fully European. Heightened by you lot driving on the wrong side of the road and speaking the wrong language.

Do you feel "in Europe" when driving over here ?

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
You may joke but you have hit the nail on the head. Because of the channel I don't think we will ever feel fully European. Heightened by you lot driving on the wrong side of the road and speaking the wrong language.

Do you feel "in Europe" when driving over here ?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:
Alas I do not know the UK, just the Channel Islands Jersey etc..., there I feel Europe (even with the wrong side of the road and the incomprehensible language !:ROFLMAO:) , each country is so specific in our continent ...but your are in islands ::bigsmile:

Chippy

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Funster No
Travels in France

Hi, my first thoughts are: Have you got all your documents? Maybe obvious but you would be suprised how many people forget. Second is; do you have sufficient gas (LPG). Calor gas bottles tend to be a bit small and are not available on the Continent. Can your gas locker take 'French bottles'?

If you have not done so, buy a book on French Aires de Service. They are the places to stop.

Have fun
Chippy

Blog: www.chipvantravels.blogspot.com

danielhenry

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Funster No
Having a nostalgic blend of nature, heritage, history and entertainment with superb symmetry, charismatic charm and sensuous style, Europe is fun unlimited with Hospitality Worldwide. There are lots of nice place you find in europe. Bulgaria's mountain ranges are a delight in summer. Its my favorite place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back