Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I have been reading quite a few posts recently on overloaded Motorhomes and decided that before my French Holiday I should have the "Van" weighed. Filled up with Diesel & packed the van in what we considered to be holiday trim.
Onto the weighbridge and the operator asked me if I wanted to remove anything before he wrote out the ticket - we were 3520kg :Eeek:
Dropped the water from the fresh tank - straight onto the weighing platform :RollEyes: but it did reduce the level a bit. - 3505 kg

Took Barbara's wheelchair out of the van and we were eventually down to 3490kg :Sad:

I have since had an afternoon session of lightening the van and removing the "Non essentials" that seem to sit around in the van & never get used.

I will be going back to the weighbridge to check my efforts, but it has made me realise how much things like Tinned Dog Food, tools and tent pegs weigh. ::bigsmile:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We're going to do the same exercise this summer and we're not looking forward to it!:Eeek:

We are a 4ton van at least!:Smile:
Anyone taking bets on what we really weigh???????:Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We're going to do the same exercise this summer and we're not looking forward to it!:Eeek:

We are a 4ton van at least!:Smile:
Anyone taking bets on what we really weigh???????:Smile:
4,800kg, hee hee better drink all that booze first

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could have been worse....you could have had an empty water tank to start with.:Doh:

easiest way to lose weight is remove all those items you think you may need but so far never have.

Eeer!!! just realised you dumped the water straight onto the weighbridge....i hope it all ran off. :Eeek:

bit like posting a coat and cutting off the buttons to save postage weight and putting them in a pocket . :ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have just completely emptied our rv ready to collect replacement. Its a huge heap of stuff. Of course none of its mine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

iveco

Free Member
Apr 3, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
self build van
Exp
Recently weighed our Iveco Daily 35s 12 fully loaded plus water and diesel 3250 kilos so 250 kilos for beer etc. Just a tip I went to our local council refuse department weighbridge and if you do not require a print out it is free of charge.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can honestly say I have never been knowingly overweight in all the European motorhomes I have owned. That's because I have never been to a weighbridge. Ignorance is bliss:Blush:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
would vosa really fine you for 3520 ?
I would be surprised if their equipment is accurate to that degree ,anyway , even permanent weighbridges can have a small inaccuracy

iveco

Free Member
Apr 3, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
self build van
Exp
would vosa really fine you for 3520 ?
I would be surprised if their equipment is accurate to that degree ,anyway , even permanent weighbridges can have a small inaccuracy
I am reliably informed that they will prosecute above 2 per cent and the fines rise in relation to the weight and can run into the thousands.

:Doh::Doh:

iveco

Free Member
Apr 3, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
self build van
Exp
I can honestly say I have never been knowingly overweight in all the European motorhomes I have owned. That's because I have never been to a weighbridge. Ignorance is bliss:Blush:
Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law an overloaded motorhome is easy revenue for a police authority. The fines are heavy and you would also have to remove weight and leave at roadside before being allowed to procede. If you are significantly overweight you cold lose your driving licence.

:Doh:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Just a thought. Did you take Barbara on the trip to the weighbridge. If you didn't how diplomatic are you at telling her that she might have to erm shed a little (or aren't you taking her)!!!
I've just read your post again.
Did you take the dog?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just a thought....

did you get the individual axle weights and gross or just the gross weight ?

are you overweight on the rear axle or on the gross. (Doh!!! its obviously the gross)

with the known axle weights, once you get below the gross, you could move stuff around to balance the load front and rear and improve handling/braking.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Just a reminder, I will be taking a set of load cells to the "Bring and buy". It will give everyone a chance to check the weight of their M/H.

Andy

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Certified weighbridges are accurate up to 100grams :Eeek: or so my local scrap dealer tells me. And it cost him a fortune getting his bridge tested every year to say so :Doh:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Also, correct us if we are wrong, but wouldn't your insuranc e be invalid if you were driving overweight?? Something to bear in mind if that is correct.
Nigel and Pamala

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as far as i know using a transport managers &operators handbook .if you are up to 5percent over you get a warning. from 5-10 percent the vehicle gets prohibited on its journey untill the extra weight is removed .if over 10 percent a prosecution will follow.currently amax of 5,000quid .if you drive on and ignore the prohibition the penalty max is a further 5,000quid .
i am obsessed with not overloading .coming from the transport industry i have been drilled not to overload. as a private person its only a fine .as transport manager its my job and possibly the future of the business i managed at risk. without operators licence we could not run the business.
i have always been of the belief the merc 508 had the right weight for a camper. i still think a camper needs 5-6ton gvw. more for long term travel.
i would like to think every one weighs there camper at least once a year just to be safe.
cheers alan.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Just done ours, bang on 3,200kg, which is our max weight, off to France tomorrow, the minute we get back we will be up-rating to 3,500kg as have spoken to svtech who say it's just a paper exercise

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Greetings,

Just a thought. Did you take Barbara on the trip to the weighbridge. If you didn't how diplomatic are you at telling her that she might have to erm shed a little (or aren't you taking her)!!!
I've just read your post again.
Did you take the dog?

Yes Rosie was on board ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Certified weighbridges are accurate up to 100grams :Eeek: or so my local scrap dealer tells me. And it cost him a fortune getting his bridge tested every year to say so :Doh:

The weighbridge I used was at a Metrology Lab, so I think it will be very accurate ::bigsmile:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
I willingly volunteer to look after Rosie.
You can leave her with me.
Getting her back later may be more of an issue.

Peter

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Thanks Peter & I am sure she would go with you willingly ::bigsmile:
I am now thinking of going down the route of replacing my gas cylinders with the Calor Lite ones to save a bit more weight so that Rosie can still travel with us :ROFLMAO:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
hi Dick, Barbara and of course little Rosie, Tiggs sends her best.

From our uderstanding when we were weighed they don`t weigh you to the ounce, a small margin is acceptable we were told 50kg should be ok.

We have just had ours up-plated to 3800kg by SVtech, only cost £282.00 some might say why pay all that for a piece of paper, well the peace of mind is well worth it.

Enjoy your travels, we are off to Scotland for a month Saturday morning. :thumb:

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
hi Dick, Barbara and of course little Rosie, Tiggs sends her best.

From our uderstanding when we were weighed they don`t weigh you to the ounce, a small margin is acceptable we were told 50kg should be ok.

We have just had ours up-plated to 3800kg by SVtech, only cost £282.00 some might say why pay all that for a piece of paper, well the peace of mind is well worth it.

Enjoy your travels, we are off to Scotland for a month Saturday morning. :thumb:

Does upgrading to 3800 kg have any knock on effects with regards to insurance, recovery etc ?

(Have a great time in Bonnie Scotland :Smile:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law an overloaded motorhome is easy revenue for a police authority. The fines are heavy and you would also have to remove weight and leave at roadside before being allowed to procede. If you are significantly overweight you cold lose your driving licence.

:Doh:

I would hazard a guess, that because of the derisory payloads on many European motorhomes that over half of all the motorhomes on European roads are overweight. (especially so if kids are travelling too) Like you say, easy money but how often are they stopped and weighed?

Maybe they are more pro-active in their checks these days, but I remember a poll on a large motorhome forum about five years ago and only one person out of thousands said they had been weighed at the roadside and that was in Italy I think. With odds like that, being 5 cases of wine overweight, as long as it is distributed sensibly was worth the risk of being stopped and weighed.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I would hazard a guess, that because of the derisory payloads on many European motorhomes that over half of all the motorhomes on European roads are overweight.

Most VOSA traffic examiners (Iknow a few in the course of my work) are of that opinion.
John

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I thought we were overweight so I replated the motorhome to 5000kg from 4500kg with svtec then I went to the weighbridge it came in at 4400 without me and Lynne in however I did have 3 cases of lager in the garage .

Now I have to stop Lynne from using up all the spare payload lol

Dick we are off to France the same time as you …….we can carry your dog food and wine lol

Paul & Lynne

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad::Sad::Sad::cry:OK OK OK. Dumb blonde questions coming up.

HOW do you know what your vehicle is supposed to weigh when you have all your clothes and shoes in itetc.

And before you weigh it, I presume you put food in the fridge, water in the tank and fill it with deisel????

Do you sit in it why it is being weighed?

Does towing a bike on a trailer on the back, add to the gross vehicle weight or is this added weight something different?

Where do I go please to be weighed?

Thank you in advance to anybody who answers without making me feel like an idiot:Doh::Doh::Doh::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back