Bit of information Please............... (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have a mobile phone that is on PAYG....

£10 top up lasts about a year..... cos it`s never switched on and only used for emergency`s and an occasional text..

Is there such a thing for a lap-top..???

Don`t want to go into monthly fixed amount or contract.... cos it will only get used occasionally when I am away...

Thanks.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A cheap MiFi would do it, loaded with a prepaid data only SIM. Alternatively, a USB dongle but I think a MiFi would give you more flexibility. :)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have a mifi that I use in the van, I buy a 12G SIM card on the 3 network that lasts a year
Last one I bought cost about £23 I usually buy a couple of there is a deal anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a mobile phone that is on PAYG....

£10 top up lasts about a year..... cos it`s never switched on and only used for emergency`s and an occasional text..

Is there such a thing for a lap-top..???

Don`t want to go into monthly fixed amount or contract.... cos it will only get used occasionally when I am away...

Thanks.
Install WhatsApp or Skype onto your lap top will give you what you want. With Skype you can say put a tenner on it then load it again when that runs out, calls are very cheap.
WhatsApp I think is free but not sure if you can contact anyone without WhatsApp installed like you can with Skype.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
@old-mo if your phone has a personal hotspot facility in settings and you have a data allowance then you can access the internet on your laptop by linking it to your phone - no need for anything else - charges come off your phone :)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Be aware that PAYG phones get disconnected if not used for a call or text in the previous 6 months even if they have credit on them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Install WhatsApp or Skype onto your lap top will give you what you want. With Skype you can say put a tenner on it then load it again when that runs out, calls are very cheap.
WhatsApp I think is free but not sure if you can contact anyone without WhatsApp installed like you can with Skype.
My understanding is that Mo wants some data to be able to use his lap top occasionally so Skype or WhattsApp isn't going to help really,

I will second the MiFi with 12GB three sim suggestion.

Martin

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My understanding is that Mo wants some data to be able to use his lap top occasionally so Skype or WhattsApp isn't going to help really,
I will second the MiFi with 12GB three sim suggestion.
Martin
Using his laptop how else is he going to make phone calls...or am I missing something...:)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Using his laptop how else is he going to make phone calls...or am I missing something...:)
OK maybe we should seek confirmation from @old-mo but I thought he was asking for something like PAYG data to make his lap top work, he can make phone calls on his phone.

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Here you go. Buy these and you have 12 months WiFi for your laptop but a max of 12GB of data. 12GB of data lasts us a year in the MH. Then you just buy another SIM.

There may be betters deals, this was just a quick ebay scan.

You just need to keep the MiFi charged up like you would a phone using a 12V cigarette socket or a mains charger.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
OK maybe we should seek confirmation from @old-mo but I thought he was asking for something like PAYG data to make his lap top work, he can make phone calls on his phone.

Martin

Thanks Martin...

Yes I use my phone if I need to make a call...

It was just to use my Lap-Top to check e.mails and pop in Fun site for half hour a day... (Maybe).. and only when I am away..

I will look into @hilldweller `s suggestion..

:thanks3:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would go into one of the phone shops in town Mo and discuss what you want with one of the geeks.(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks Martin...

It was just to use my Lap-Top to check e.mails and pop in Fun site for half hour a day... (Maybe).. and only when I am away..

Ok I admit defeat but my two suggestions are both good reliable ways to make phone calls from your lap top.....and you can send pictures and video's for free......(y)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks Martin...

We still have your Mifi Maurice do you want Bill to put it on charge (y)

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
We still have your Mifi Maurice do you want Bill to put it on charge (y)

Does it still work..... how do we top it up... ?

All this elemtronic stuff is above my little brain.. totally confuses me... :blush:

I will get Judy to give you a bell when she has got back from Telford or where ever she has gone.. :RollEyes:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Can u'r phone act as a hot spot?
If yes then have a look at a payg SIM from Tesco mobile (yes I hate Tesco but the phone deal suits me).
Transfer u'r number over and use the phone as now and then when away buy a data pack add-on to give u a bit of mobile data on the laptop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back