electrolux fridge not setting cold enough (1 Viewer)

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
hi.

electrolux fridge in 2000 van. probably original.

last year its seemed to stop working well but this was on gas. cleaned out burner and it seemed to get a bit better but it was the end of the holiday. used it a few time since and seemed to be ok.

just before I left last week for Netherlands, i fitted a temp gauge (knowledge is a worry not power )and it does not cope during the day.

admittedly we have 27c at most times and it has been hot at night but it does come down to 3c overnight.

so.

ice box keeps things frozen and will cool beer.

fridge does not get below 10c during day and beer and wine too warm

I have tried all three energy sources and no difference.

mainly on 240v. lots of heat coming from top vent

adding small fan to bottom vent seems to help but not much.

I will buy my way out of this if necessary as I'm here for another 2 weeks and warm wine and beer will cost more than a new fridge due to divorce costs

from my googling it looks like it could be a fridge rolly poly tomorrow but my question is, has anyone made it stop working completely by doing this?

I could go to a Decathlon and by a small 240v compressor fridge to run as I'm not intending to move around without hook up but it's better than nothing!

any suggestions/ questions greatly appreciated.

also if someone knows a good fridge engineer near Utecht then please let me know..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Turn the thermostat UP slightly.

Daft as it sounds this can reduce the temperature in the fridge.

Move the fan to the TOP vent to draw air out rather than the bottom pushing warm air in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Amazon product ASIN B0721DGKJF[QUOTE="pappajohn, post:

Daft as it sounds this can reduce the temperature in the fridge.

Move the fan to the TOP vent to draw air out rather than the bottom pushing warm air in.[/QUOTE]
tried the turning up. did not make any difference.

not sure changing fan position would work as it would draw air around out as it's on of these.

Amazon 12v clip on fan... links not working

Amazon product ASIN B0721DGKJF

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
ok so back from Netherlands.

I had the fridge out and upside down for 24hr but it still would not perform as it used to.

I took it out when back home Saturday and turned it each way, tapping the pipes gently to dislodge any rust but alas, it's still crap.

on electric the pipe out of the burner is Red hot but when the pipe runs horizontal, it gets cool very quick.

freezer has ice inside box and fins inside fridge are cold but not as expected.

I came down this morning and the fridge was 1C so I put three 1.5l bottles of water in it, one in the freezer and two in fridge. at 6pm tonight fridge was at 6C and freezer bottle not even close to freezing cold.

it would easily gave frozen that bottle before (I know I've left wine in there by mistake before!!).

so I think it's time to bin it and get a new one.

question is, do I:

A. Shell out £850 - 1K for a direct replacement?

B. Buy second hand and take the risk sane thing will happen? half decent used one's on EBay are around £250 and they are still old Electrolux branded.

C. Buy a 12v compressor fridge and the 240v power unit as discussed in another thread here.

D. Buy a standard small compressor fridge and accept I must use hook up for most of the time..

We are looking to upgrade the van soon, in fact we looked at an '08 Argos 747 yesterday but I am struggling to get a storage pitch big enough for it. I'm on the waiting list for a bigger pitch but it could be 2 years before I get one!

I don't really want to shell out money for a new one but paying approx. 30-40%of the cost of a new fridge on an old Electrolux one seems a waste...

advice please...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi. Fridge is the same on Gas or Electric.
We had episodes when it didn't work on electric either. The general point I was trying to make is they are fiendishly complicated beasts and an experienced eye might spot a simple fault.
You can buy the "working parts" for some fridges, still cost a few hundred and a lot of dismantling to replace them but that might be another option. Basically it is the whole refrigerant system less all the gubbins around it.

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
We had episodes when it didn't work on electric either. The general point I was trying to make is they are fiendishly complicated beasts and an experienced eye might spot a simple fault.
You can buy the "working parts" for some fridges, still cost a few hundred and a lot of dismantling to replace them but that might be another option. Basically it is the whole refrigerant system less all the gubbins around it.

yeah I see your point. I've spoken to a couple of engineers and they say it's probably a partial blockage that's why it will cool but not by much when stuff is put in it.

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
You might find decent fans (blowing out) in the top vent make a big difference
I've has it running on a bench out of the van the last two days and it still is weak.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back