Canoe licence Ardeche France? (1 Viewer)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hopefully, IF all goes well, I'm gonna buy a Stearns Back Country which i would like to use on holiday in France this year on the Ardeche.
Does anyone know if I need any sort of license.
Plan would be to drive up river 20-30ks or so and "drift" back to the campsite consuming Fois gras and bubbles! (errrrr, or so she tells me!). I can peddle back for the car later that day.

Ta

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
stearns back country

Hi Zaskar.. sorry I can't help with your enquiry re license but I just want to draw your attention to an issue with the Stearns Back County.. There appears to be a problem with a slow leak on some models, I'm not sure if you are aware of it but it's discussed at some length on this forum http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10681-Stearns-Back-Country-B801/page2

Sorry to be a downer but to be for-warned etc... Hope your trip works out though:thumb:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi Zaskar.. sorry I can't help with your enquiry re license but I just want to draw your attention to an issue with the Stearns Back County.. There appears to be a problem with a slow leak on some models, I'm not sure if you are aware of it but it's discussed at some length on this forum http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10681-Stearns-Back-Country-B801/page2

Sorry to be a downer but to be for-warned etc... Hope your trip works out though:thumb:

Many thank mate.
I'm a member of SOTP so well aware and its one thing I'll be looking for on Saturday.
From posts on SOTP, it would appear they had an isolated bad batch from France but obviously, I dont want to be the poor sod with a duffer so i'll be checking carefully.
Heads up much appreciated.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As far as I'm aware you don't need a licence at all in France. We 'did' the Ardeche a few years ago ... got a dunking and severe sunburn (second degree burns!). :shout:

In my view you need quite a tough canoe/kayak to do it as there are quite a few rapids and rocks!:whatthe:

When we did it it was in a hired tandem sit on top, we'd have happily done it in our then inflatable Gumotex Palava (very tough) but I'm not so sure about anything else. :Blush:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Does anyone know if I need any sort of license.

Ta

Hi Zaskar!

Definitely not! (made sure before answering you!:RollEyes:)
You can enjoy your new toy on the river Ardèche as on any other river. No age limit . :thumb::thumb:

Wild camp is ruled so here is a link you could get translated by google....just in case

Link Removed

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Zaskar

No license required to paddle french rivers. The Ardeche below Vallon and through the gorge is the most spectacular part of the river,mid season you will be sharing this hundreds of hire boats. Allow your self plenty of time for this paddle to enjoy the scenery and take a swim. If the water levels are high some of the rapids can get quite interesting. The river above Vallon is a lot slower and quieter. In peak season the water levels up stream can also be very low and a bit of walking may be required. Remember to take food and plenty of drinks as once below Pont d'Arc there are few take outs for about 20km.
Have a good paddle and enjoy the Ardeche.:thumb:

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back