Buying an A Frame - read this! (1 Viewer)

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
I can't say too much at mo but a new Euro legal A' Frame will be released in the UK next year; remember there are no Euro legal ones at the mo!!!:Eeek: It has so many super extras, that no others have! It will not be expensive and better than ALL of the ones on the market now so just wait a while before you buy one ...you guys will be the first to hear about it cos I will make sure you know as soon as it is launched... I am first on the waiting list though ::bigsmile: Can't wait! :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Eeer!!!!

how many 'extras' can you fit on an A frame......Jockey wheel springs to mind but thats about all.

maybe silly lights along the sides so you dont fall over it in the dark.

bit like saying how many extras can you fit on a teaspoon.....none that serve any purpose. :RollEyes:

as for not expensive.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Euro legal ? Spain legal ? think a change of law would be necessary

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mabe it has some sort of huge air blower that lifts all 4 wheels of the road....Turning the toad into a hovercraft...therfore making it legal in Spain.:winky:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Bugger, I have just had a Car-A-Tow AFrame fitted to my Sartcar at a cost of £1004 :cry:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
you will see

Eeer!!!!

how many 'extras' can you fit on an A frame......Jockey wheel springs to mind but thats about all.

bit like saying how many extras can you fit on a teaspoon.....none that serve any purpose. :RollEyes:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Yes, I guess we could ask for the above extras too but reckon they will be extra £s :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You will just have to wait and see, trust me there will be extra's in that it will have & do things the others can't... I just cant say yet... been sworn to secracy :winky:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Eeer!!!!

:ROFLMAO:there will of course be a place for a "A frame tax disc":ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
spain compliant

Euro legal ? Spain legal ? think a change of law would be necessary

No, it's Spanish law compliant :thumb:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Full kit

wouldnt be along these line would it....

loads of 'extras' here...mostly un-needed.

Link Removed

Don't think I made myself clear, it will be a full kit for the car & the A'frame it'self, both/all :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
any braked aframe is spanish law compliant if you are a visitor. the rules they use are about the hitch as we use a 50mm hitch as a visitor we are legal. so far i have seen nothing that would stand up in court that says we cant visit spain towing a toad. untill spain leaves the eu it will be legal for us to do what we do here.
but lets wait and see nothing ventured nothing gained.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
off topic a bit. shame we need brakes as i have towed thousands of miles over many years with an un braked a frame .driven with care as never caused me any problems . i really dont think brakes are really of much use. but then i dont make the rules and dont advocate others not to use the aframe i have . get the braked version. i personally think if you payed more than 400quid for a new aframe you have been ripped off. but then its your choice.
intertrade for me. as used by aa and rac.
cheers alan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pj . yes you are correct .but when you fit an aframe it becomes a trailer . its that simple. use the dvla letter to argue. they say they believe its a trailer ,i do as well .

when does a door become not a door .
when its a jar.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
pj . yes you are correct .but when you fit an aframe it becomes a trailer . its that simple. use the dvla letter to argue. they say they believe its a trailer ,i do as well .

when does a door become not a door .
when its a jar.

agreed the british authorities see it that way but you try telling PC Juan sheet its also legal in spain when he's had to break off his afternoon siesta to pull you over and demands an on the spot fine payment or you'll be impounded....
as they say.....when in rome do as the romans.
british law doesnt apply out of britain.

been to spain in the van just once.....next time i'll be turning back to france at the spanish or spanish/andorra border. :Angry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
john . it does take time and you have to be calm. its already been to eu court and you can get a copy of the results . refunds of fines have been given. just because they carry guns they are not all unhelpfull . ask to see there higher in command . go with them be prepared to waste their time after all ours is free . you dont get what you want without standing up to them . given enough grief they will let you go .
have fun its not that bad in a spanish jail for awhile .i know and i,m still here to go again . even been in a maroc cell but ended up with a letter that allows me to park anywhere in tiznet provence with no probs.
but it took lots of time. cheers alibaba

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
soooo impatient

how long will we have to wait for this revelation of the towing world ????:winky:

At the latest, this time next year but could be earlier, I am told production of the first A'frame part will start in Oct......I will put you at the front of the que, well behind me that is :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Why dont you just spill your guts, who's making it, whos selling it and what are the changes. Its ok you can tell me and I WONT BREATH A WORD.

Its not like I'm gonna hop off and start to manufacture them. :winky:

Jim
:roflmto:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
At the latest, this time next year but could be earlier, I am told production of the first A'frame part will start in Oct......I will put you at the front of the que, well behind me that is :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your the lab rat thats going to do all the testing of the finished prototype and the law for them then :thumb:

Good luck with that :winky:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I never understand this ..if it's legal in uk it's legal in the EU
ask any transport manager if he can send his 44 tonne trucks around europe !
he will soon tell you that it is against their laws [ ok there are exceptions ] and can't be done

hence the truck makers have come up with a euro spec that can go anywhere [ well almost !]

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I never understand this ..if it's legal in uk it's legal in the EU
ask any transport manager if he can send his 44 tonne trucks around europe !
he will soon tell you that it is against their laws [ ok there are exceptions ] and can't be done

hence the truck makers have come up with a euro spec that can go anywhere [ well almost !]
I too never understood this "If it`s allowed in country of origin" stuff either.
I used to drive Ginaf`s in Holland during the sugarbeat season grossing 80 tons which was allowed,but I don`t think I would have got very far in the UK with one.
Also common sight in Sweden is the roadtrain consisting of 2 X 40ft artic trailers grossing well in excess of 80 tons.....If the legal in country of origin excuse was used we would be swamped with real juganoughts.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in 2000 regulations were amended to allow 44 tonne operations and again in 2001 to correct errors in the former regulations.you have to have a rigid towing a trailer with 6 or more axles. the rules change quite frequently . we were supposed to have been aligned since jan 99.under the road vehicles (authorized weight)regulations 1998(s1 1998 no 3111).
next question please. ha ha .cheers alan.

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Ssssssh

Why dont you just spill your guts, who's making it, whos selling it and what are the changes. Its ok you can tell me and I WONT BREATH A WORD.

Its not like I'm gonna hop off and start to manufacture them. :winky:

Jim
:roflmto:

Once he has signed all the contracts and stuff, I will spill all !:winky:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
almost correct

Your the lab rat thats going to do all the testing of the finished prototype and the law for them then :thumb:

Good luck with that :winky:

Well, almost correct, it has been tested and works just fine but He and then I,will be the first to test it in euro lands ::bigsmile:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
In the rest of Europe it appears trailers are registered in there own right and I assume they are tested in some way, dose anyone know if it would be possible to take a car with the "A" frame fitted into one of these testing stations (if that is what they are) and get the car tested and registered as a trailer, as if it is possible that would surly overcome the Spanish problem and I suspect most other Countries as well.

anyone know what the testing criteria is for a trailer in Europe ?

I did see a NetherlandsMotor-home towing a smart on an "A" frame and he hadn't covered the cars existing registration plate perhaps that would suffice ?

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
In the rest of Europe it appears trailers are registered in there own right and I assume they are tested in some way, dose anyone know if it would be possible to take a car with the "A" frame fitted into one of these testing stations (if that is what they are) and get the car tested and registered as a trailer, as if it is possible that would surly overcome the
Spanish
problem and I suspect most other
countries
as well.

anyone know what the testing criteria is for a trailer in Europe ?

I did see a Netherlands
motor-home
towing a smart on an "A" frame and he hadn't covered the cars existing registration plate perhaps that would
suffice
?

You can get a ITV witch is like your MOT on a trailer here in Spain but you must have a NIF number and address but you wont get any test done on an Aframe here. All trailer,s here that carry a car have to have this test, hope this helps:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well there we are you could volunteer .you must have al the required numbers and address . do we send an aframe over for you to give it a try.
i like the idea. theres always aroundabout way to get yuour own back on authority.
it must be possible to get itv on a trailer with removable a frame as they have steerable drag trailers in spain and they are removable.
cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back