dashboard electric fire insurance (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I have been told that I may not be able to claim on my insurance! Something about " no flam no claim" has anyone heard of this before?????????????????:Doh:

I had an electrical fire under my dash while away in Italy. It was caused by the actuator from the cruse control snapping its mount and touching the positive battery terminal, this has melted some wires on the loom also took out the cruse control and the automatic step retraction.

I have not talked to my insurance company yet as I don't want to compromise my position.

What are your thoughts

Patrick

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Pat, you could always cover both bases by telling them you managed to put the flames out before major damage :thumb:
terry

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Hi,patrick and jan.Was the cruise control standard fit?If an added extra and insurance not informed then they will probably have a get out clause somewhere.Goodluck eitherway.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Another thought Patrick are you with a broker or direct ? if with a broker they should be able to advise on how to word your claim :thumb:
When I used to fill insurance forms / claims, I used to put damaged by unknown intruders, if the person who owned the property said they know who did the damage they would not pay so be extra careful on what you tell them :thumb:
terry

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
David Price is completely correct.

I told my insurance company I was going to have cruise control fitted, and they said there would be no increase in premium provided,

a) I told them when it was done, and

b) that it was 'professionally' fitted. 'Professional ' was not defined, so that suggests a possible get out if the fitting was faulty.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I have been told that I may not be able to claim on my insurance! Something about " no flam no claim" has anyone heard of this before?????????????????:Doh:

Oh YES!

not exactly the motorhome but a faulty electric blanket and a duvet (Feather down type)

Do feathers catch fire?

NO - the smolder; no flame no claim; on yer bike son.

managed to get 50% after a fight.

Be careful with the truth; get caught tweaking it a little and it's fraud.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Another thought Patrick are you with a broker or direct ? if with a broker they should be able to advise on how to word your claim :thumb:
When I used to fill insurance forms / claims, I used to put damaged by unknown intruders, if the person who owned the property said they know who did the damage they would not pay so be extra careful on what you tell them :thumb:
terry

Thanks Terry!

I am direct with the NFU. maybe I should just put it down as a fire under the dash and not know what it was caused by.

If I had just run away it would have cost them a lot more money to settle £ 45000

Patrick

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi,patrick and jan.Was the cruise control standard fit?If an added extra and insurance not informed then they will probably have a get out clause somewhere.Goodluck eitherway.
Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply mate!

Yes it has been a retro fit by the last owner.

Patrick

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry!

I am direct with the NFU. maybe I should just put it down as a fire under the dash and not know what it was caused by.

If I had just run away it would have cost them a lot more money to settle £ 45000

Patrick

:thumb: let them find out how or what caused it after all you are no expert :thumb: also the cruse control was on the van when you bought it full stop :thumb: it is only hearsay that it was fitted by the last owner, how do you know who and when it was fitted ? all you know for sure is that it was on when you bought the van :Eeek::thumb:
terry

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
One of the general principles of insurance law is that if insurers wish to rely on an exclusion to deny liability, the onus of proof is on the insurers, unless there is a policy clause to the contrary.

So do they have a witness that there was no fire?

Anecdote. My Grandmother's £3,000 diamond ring missing at Nursing Home after death. If stolen not covered, if 'lost' covered. Loss adjuster wished interview me, invited him to do so at Big Five city Law Firm where I worked as Insurance Lawyer. Told him I had no info re loss/theft of ring. When I called Insurers to ask if they wished to rely on exclusion, Claims Mgr said 'Cheque is in post'

Hold your ground - don't let the b*****rds get you down!

Geoff

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
One of the general principles of insurance law is that if insurers wish to rely on an exclusion to deny liability, the onus of proof is on the insurers, unless there is a policy clause to the contrary.

So do they have a witness that there was no fire?

Anecdote. My Grandmother's £3,000 diamond ring missing at Nursing Home after death. If stolen not covered, if 'lost' covered. Loss adjuster wished interview me, invited him to do so at Big Five city Law Firm where I worked as Insurance Lawyer. Told him I had no info re loss/theft of ring. When I called Insurers to ask if they wished to rely on exclusion, Claims Mgr said 'Cheque is in post'

Hold your ground - don't let the b*****rds get you down!

Geoff

Thank's for your input Geoff!:thumb:
I will let you know what happens if i go through with claim. I will study my policy and the Endorsement's.

Patrick

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi
We had an underdash fire in our first van a VW, apparently the petrol version was known for this, the thing is as said your no expert, ours went through as a ,
NO fault Claim, not very nice as the van was totall wright of also a car parked beside it
was burnt out,
Fire brigade attended and got an incident number ect from them which helps, i would collect all of the info you can and be sure of the facts.
But stick to your guns,

good luck.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi big fish .what vw did you have .i have been around vdubbs for years and never heard of dash board fires .yes engine fires because of that braided plastic fuel hose getting hard and falling off carbs etc. just like to know a bit more.
that braided hose is leathel on aircooled engines should be never allowed to be sold .
cheers alan

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
hi big fish .what vw did you have .i have been around vdubbs for years and never heard of dash board fires .yes engine fires because of that braided plastic fuel hose getting hard and falling off carbs etc. just like to know a bit more.
that braided hose is leathel on aircooled engines should be never allowed to be sold .
cheers alan
Hi Alan

Cant remember the model No, we bought it as our first van about 9 / 10 years ago,
after the fire, we talked with the fireman for a while as you do and they had attended
some, and quite often they where being driven at the time, ours was onlt stood on the drive at the time.
The speed that it went up scared the bejesus out of us, and put us of buying a replacement for about 6 months.
Even considered going back to tugging:Sad:. As said this was a while ago, so i suppose there ok now, although i wouldnt have one. Believe it was a bay window about 1980s,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back